"Leading Men" - October 4, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Scott Medvetz wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:30 pm Hey! I won a mug! Woo Hoo!
Congrats! Enjoy the wine too! :lol:
One world. One planet. One future.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:04 pm
Deb F wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:01 pm
Commodore wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:39 am Really stuck on Bob DeNiro and one of my favorite actors, Sam Elliott.
Just about to give up...when suddenly I had HOPE!
Tied a yellow ribbon around it and submitted correct answer.
But, Tony Orlando? A 'leading man'? Hmmmm. Hmmmmm.

The Commodore
Cochituate, Massachusetts

The term "leading man" led me to look at the beginnings of the long clues for how I'd get a name when BOB popped out--hence the leading letters of each word in the clue. When it held for the next one I knew i was on to something. I didn't spend much time on the meaning of "leading men" that you're thinking of. Happy to have gotten this one quickly once I locked in.
We will wave to you in an hour as we pass through Cochituate on the way to our granddaughter's field hockey game at Framingham High School.
CD Bob,
Small world. Used to be a bumper sticker that read "Where the hell is Cochituate?"
I'm out of town presently, but let's have a cup o' joe sometime at Mel's. Or better stuff at the Chateau Dudley when one of us wins the Mug.
Beat the Flyers!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

It’s funny that we are (mostly) all so snakebitten by PAGEANT and others that we second guess ourselves even when the answer is staring us in the face. Adds to the excitement I guess! Can’t wait til Thursday to start it all over again.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:36 am My #1 rule, FWIW: The letters of the meta answer will be in meta clue order.
Except in "AP Chemistry", where they were in left-to-right order as seen on the grid. I put them in order of the meta clues, saw nothing but a meaningless jumble, and failed to come up with the correct SOLUTION :(
bobbydeee

Post by bobbydeee »

darthdriessen wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:06 am I chose the wrong Bob. Went with Elliott, and answered TOES!
I did the same thing! I tried to reconcile that answer to the Leading Men by reckoning that when you walk, you lead with your toes.

I don't know if this is a case of great minds thinking alike, or if we're both just Hope-less. ;-)
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Jeff S wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:44 am
Joe Ross wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:36 am My #1 rule, FWIW: The letters of the meta answer will be in meta clue order.
Except in "AP Chemistry", where they were in left-to-right order as seen on the grid. I put them in order of the meta clues, saw nothing but a meaningless jumble, and failed to come up with the correct SOLUTION :(
A supplement to #1 rule above: The meta answer is never an anagram. The letters are arranged in some logical order. (Of course, there are exceptions to every rule.)
Jack Sullivan
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Jacksull wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:02 pm
Jeff S wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:44 am
A supplement to #1 rule above: The meta answer is never an anagram. The letters are arranged in some logical order. (Of course, there are exceptions to every rule.)
Correct - It might be an anagram if the meta clues themselves were anagrams. There was a meta like that once, IIRC.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.