"Two's Company" - September 27, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Jazzvibist

Post by Jazzvibist »

Ashore.

Stu K.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Tina wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:41 pm On shore! On the road this weekend for a family wedding in New England. It's chilly up here, and I only brought one pair of long pants.
Tina - this is warm for New England. Embrace the chilly mornings and warm afternoons. The weather should be great for the wedding.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Deb F wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:57 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:01 pm This weeks contest is Two's Company by Matt Gaffney. The answer to the is week's contest is a well- known corporations

Good luck to all winning the mug
Beautiful photo, Robert. I’m stumped for the moment. So many rabbit holes, so little time🐰😁
That was in Iceland a few years ago. Super place to go in either the summer or the winter
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

jakeorjacob wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:27 am Ashore. Made some very silly mistakes but bleary morning eyes made the corrections.

If I'd rather email, do I send it to the Gmail listed at the end of the PDF? Do people include their full grids, or just the meta answer?

(The only reason I ask is because that PDF seems very old and has Matt Gaffney's name at the top).
You only need to send the solution in the TITLE of the email. Send it to crosswordcontest@wsj.com
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
KayW

Post by KayW »

jakeorjacob wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:27 am Ashore. Made some very silly mistakes but bleary morning eyes made the corrections.

If I'd rather email, do I send it to the Gmail listed at the end of the PDF? Do people include their full grids, or just the meta answer?

(The only reason I ask is because that PDF seems very old and has Matt Gaffney's name at the top).
Sorry if I'm asking the obvious, but the puzzle title on your meta pdf is Two's Company, right? Only asking because you mentioned silly mistakes and bleary eyes. Mike's name is "at the top" as editor, Matt's is more towards the middle as constructor. And I don't see a gmail address on the pdf anywhere....

https://s.wsj.net/public/resources/docu ... 272019.pdf
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Inca wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:07 am As soon as I saw the clues, it seemed fairly obvious what was going on. (It seems that lately that's my method with metas: either see a pathway right away or just never see it.) But in going on to the next step there seemed to be a bit of inconsistency that bothers me a bit and it bothers me even more that no one else seems to be bothered by it. That makes me feel that maybe I'm wrong. But what I found cannot be a coincidence and it would be a huge amount of work for Matt just to put it in as a red herring. So, I've decided that my answer is right. Maybe I'm just missing some step that would make it all tie up nicer....or maybe it is good as is.
Wow, I 'm really rambling and can't seem to find the words to express myself clearly. I'll just leave it as: I pretty sure I'm on shore.
Inca, I couldn't have said it better myself! So I am stealing your post. I am counting myself on shore but I am with the camp that smells a pageant and wishes to be 63A before submitting.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BrianDavidson

Post by BrianDavidson »

KayW wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:36 am

Sorry if I'm asking the obvious, but the puzzle title on your meta pdf is Two's Company, right? Only asking because you mentioned silly mistakes and bleary eyes. Mike's name is "at the top" as editor, Matt's is more towards the middle as constructor. And I don't see a gmail address on the pdf anywhere....

He's referring to the "Guide to the WSJ Crossword Contest" on the Puzzle page, not the actual puzzle itself.
KayW

Post by KayW »

BrianDavidson wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:00 am
KayW wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:36 am

He's referring to the "Guide to the WSJ Crossword Contest" on the Puzzle page, not the actual puzzle itself.
Ha! talk about silly mistakes and bleary eyes! :lol:
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Unsure, but on shore ... and ready for my alma mater's 8 p.m. kickoff in Maryland. So much football, so little time. Have a great weekend, all.
Louwers

Post by Louwers »

Safely ashore. Easy swim this week. Usually expecting more shark infested waters from Matt.
bunella

Post by bunella »

Onshore pretty quickly. Cute one!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Inca wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:07 am As soon as I saw the clues, it seemed fairly obvious what was going on. (It seems that lately that's my method with metas: either see a pathway right away or just never see it.) But in going on to the next step there seemed to be a bit of inconsistency that bothers me a bit and it bothers me even more that no one else seems to be bothered by it. That makes me feel that maybe I'm wrong. But what I found cannot be a coincidence and it would be a huge amount of work for Matt just to put it in as a red herring. So, I've decided that my answer is right. Maybe I'm just missing some step that would make it all tie up nicer....or maybe it is good as is.
Wow, I 'm really rambling and can't seem to find the words to express myself clearly. I'll just leave it as: I pretty sure I'm on shore.
The one thing that I first saw as an inconsistency I later realized was actually appropriate.

🏖🥂
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

DBMiller wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:54 pm Done and Submitted, although admittedly only 60% sure, 40% guess.
A little more thinking and the 40% part of the guess was definitely wrong, but I'm now 100% that I got it right anyway.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Eric Porter wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:00 pm Ashore! Nice of Matt Gaffney to use my alma mater in 10A.

I started doing these Crossword Contests in January of this year. At first I only got the solution sometimes. Starting with the first one in April, I haven't been lost at sea. As this is the final puzzle of September, it makes 6 months in a row. I'm considering subscribing to MGWCC or trying PGWCC for more of a challenge.
Also ashore! As with Eric, excited to see our Alma Mater in a clue (EE1977 and EE1980). Three in a row, and 6 out of the last 7! Finally getting a sense of how the metas work!
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

damefox wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:55 pm
Eric Porter wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:00 pm Ashore! Nice of Matt Gaffney to use my alma mater in 10A.
Whaddya know, I wrote my last post from my office at 10A!
Which department? (Rita and I are EE grads)
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:44 am
The one thing that I first saw as an inconsistency I later realized was actually appropriate.

🏖🥂
Agreed, was actually quite elegant.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Done. We need more challenging puzzles please. I remember when i woke up in the middle of a Saturday night and solved the "Mi Senora" puzzle last year. I was walking around my house in the dark cheering. Haven't had that feeling in a while.
Doug C

Post by Doug C »

On shore.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Hello young muggles wherever you are, I hope your troubles are few

Good Friday morning

Our Matt Gaffney special has resulted in 2 muggles with Isaac for now and 71 on the shore. I am not sure if the puzzles have been easier over the last couple of months or whether we are collectively getting smarter.

and we welcome our two newest muggles: ErikThor and spotter - both here on the blog

Good luck to all in winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

I'm on shore, but feeling pretty MEH about this puzzle.