"Two's Company" - September 27, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
AnnP

Post by AnnP »

On shore! Just sat down with the puzzle this morning. Thought the grid was tougher than usual and the meta was easier, very neat and tidy IMHO. I'll be back in a couple of hours for my G&T. See you all then!
Joedbee

Post by Joedbee »

Onshore! Fun one - Muggles' overall rating seems right.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Hats off to NU, Julie. They gave the Badgers all they could handle. A few less offensive turnovers and the game might have ended up differently. Still scratching my head over that first two point conversion.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

sharkicicles wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:25 pm
Commodore wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:53 pm The Commodore is ashore.
But is he 64?
Ah. While most muggles are solving at the speed of Ruby on Rails, I am but an Assembler. ;)
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Commodore wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:50 pm
sharkicicles wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:25 pm
Commodore wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:53 pm The Commodore is ashore.
But is he 64?
Ah. While most muggles are solving at the speed of Ruby on Rails, I am but an Assembler. ;)
Yikes. Commodore 64 assembler. That brings back memories.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:54 am Good Saturday morning muggles. We have a crowded beach to the extent that we may have even spilled over on a second beach. Time will tell if the second beach is on a deserted island or links to the right beach.

First we have seven new muggles: spotter, ErikThor, blau10, Glinda, HiJack and ccmac on the shore and Eschie (Evy) who posted in the Welcome Aboard page and is working on making her way to shore.

So far we have 5 on the ship with Isaac pondering their answers before jumping into the abyss and 104 on the shore.
I'm on shore too! (My comment may have been too vague.)
WBYonder

Post by WBYonder »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:01 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:54 am Good Saturday morning muggles. We have a crowded beach to the extent that we may have even spilled over on a second beach. Time will tell if the second beach is on a deserted island or links to the right beach.

First we have seven new muggles: spotter, ErikThor, blau10, Glinda, HiJack and ccmac on the shore and Eschie (Evy) who posted in the Welcome Aboard page and is working on making her way to shore.

So far we have 5 on the ship with Isaac pondering their answers before jumping into the abyss and 104 on the shore.
[/quote
Don’t feel bad, he missed me too. No worries, Cruise Director is always a tough job!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

WBYonder wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:38 pm

Don’t feel bad, he missed me too. No worries, Cruise Director is always a tough job!
Especially this week with wall to wall, or is it tree to tree, muggles on the beach.

Or maybe he overindulged in that Guinness truck🍺
WBYonder

Post by WBYonder »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:53 pm
WBYonder wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:38 pm

Especially this week with wall to wall, or is it tree to tree, muggles on the beach.

Or maybe he overindulged in that Guinness truck🍺
I’ll drink to that!
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Hey all. I’m counting myself on shore! Hope I’m right!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Barbara and WB - sorry I missed you. I got caught up in reading the comments and while I read both of them, I failed to enter them in the spreadsheet.

You are now officially on the shore.

Thanks for picking up my mistake.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:54 am So far we have 5 on the ship with Isaac pondering their answers before jumping into the abyss and 104 on the shore.

Keeping Isaac company at least for now are
Bird Lives
DrTom
Juliet
Guy L
and MaineMarge
My comment obviously was not clear. I did get to the solution. I just expected the route to be complicated. It wasn't, hence, "Is that all there is?"
Jay
Inca

Post by Inca »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:11 pm BONEHEAD.gif

Awakened from a deep Guinness snooze to wonder where all of the happy muggles are, only to realize I've landed on a much smaller island, most-likely alone, with the exception of this bone & head, unless it's a mirror. Having submitted, I am too far to swim to safety & have sent the ferry away.

Cruise Director Bob: Remove me from the scrolls of those properly beached, please. I am not worthy.
Is the difference between your first and second answers what resolves the discrepancy that bothers me?
a3jay

Post by a3jay »

On shore (hopefully).
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Aha! I looked at it again and it popped out (assuming it’s not a pageant). Later, Isaac! Three weeks in a row for is unheard of for me, but I think these have been in the easier side!
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

oldjudge wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:42 pm Hats off to NU, Julie. They gave the Badgers all they could handle. A few less offensive turnovers and the game might have ended up differently. Still scratching my head over that first two point conversion.
Thanks. That was the best their defense played so far this year. Yes, going for 2 the first time didn't make any sense to us either. Oh well. There's still hope they'll get 5 wins. Best of luck to the Badgers going forward.
Stukmn

Post by Stukmn »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:32 pm Barbara and WB - sorry I missed you. I got caught up in reading the comments and while I read both of them, I failed to enter them in the spreadsheet.

You are now officially on the shore.

Thanks for picking up my mistake.
I was left off as well. I thought I had an early solve only to find out the shore was already getting crowded. :)
Don’t bother me until I’ve had my coffee and done the crossword.
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Done and done.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

I am making a slow row to the shore. I have not had any luck finding what I had hoped for. So If this is a pageant, I have cadged Isaac's last bottle of Crystal Head as my consolation prize...

Good luck to all muggles!
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

For statistical purposes, I am not there yet! And taking a boat to shore to go to the Ravens-Browns game. So we will see if there is any inspiration later in the day.