"For Good Measure" - September 20, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
AnnP

Post by AnnP »

On shore! Phew! Finally made it. You guys have been really good about not letting any spoilers slip out. :lol:
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count is a little early as I have an early tee time tomorrow morning.

We have 10 on the ship and 99 on the shore with Kas, Patty, Rad26 and AnnP making it since noon. Colin and Susan G have joined the group on the ship for the week.

Hopefully another muggle will win the elusive cup. (maybe even me, hope, hope, hope)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Inca

Post by Inca »

Just came back to the puzzle. So, I see the first part...no idea where to go with it. Nothing jumping out at me and time is short so I'm not sure I'll be in the Race for the Cup this time around.
Eschie

Post by Eschie »

Far from shore as logic has eluded me. Going to go with something cute since I can't come up with something smart this time. Maybe fortune will favor the foolish in the next 5 minutes :)
Eschie

Post by Eschie »

Hmm, looks like the deadline is in 20 minutes, not five. So, that's 20 more minutes of looking for the meta :/
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

This weekend seriously got away from me, but I have been on shore since yesterday, just hiding for some reason!
Eschie

Post by Eschie »

Well, hopefully the answer I submitted is mostly right :)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I wrote down "Area", "Force" , "Weight", and "Volume". Did not notice that three of those four were also in the grid. If I had noticed that, I might have done a little checking and found out that gram is a unit of mass rather than weight and maybe would have found the answer. ...or maybe not. My hat is off to those who did get it. Looking forward to this Thursday afternoon.
Inca

Post by Inca »

I, too, had area, force, weight, volume but I never looked in the clues. I hate looking in the clues especially since I'm an online solver. Also, we don't post spoilers here, but someone posted something that had the opposite effect for me. It was posted that this was a classic (Marie Kelly) Mike puzzle. So I said to myself, "Yay, that means no need to look at the clues, for sure!". Using the clues is usually a Matt move, not Mike, in my experience.

Good luck to all the muggles in winning the cup!
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

We did have at least 100 on shore. Bob Cruise Director missed my post on Thursday and didn't include me in the report. I wouldn't have said anything except for the fact that the count was at 99.

I found it funny that someone did use the word 'pint' in their post.

I'm curious if anyone solved it by seeing area, force, mass, and volume clues and unscrambling. (I did solve it the expected way.)

Edit: I misspelled 'word' as 'work'.
Last edited by Eric Porter on Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

As a physician, I was put off by the clue/answer โ€œMass/nodeโ€, until I realized that it was part of the meta solution. Perhaps a bit pedantic, but it didnโ€™t sit well until I realized why it was used (and I have to bow to colloquial use of โ€œnodeโ€ in many other circumstances, so I should just accept it!).

I had the letters to the solution and figured it was an anagram of pint. Dom made me feel better when he got there and pointed out the justification for ordering the letters beyond merely anagramming them. This solution had several steps but was only moderately difficult.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

As noted elsewhere it could have been solved without the theme answers. Also, gig in the center seems like a flaw to me. But since I could never construct a meta, I hate to criticize.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Good Monday morning! I got this one pretty quickly. Mostly because I always spend a lot of time looking at the clues thinking about other possible references ( no matter which constructor). So the liter/ volume /tone jumped right out. No need to tell me how much area an acre covers- Iโ€™ve got that in spades (pun) here at my place. I thought weโ€™d probably be looking for a 4 letter answer, so with the p_ _t,in correct long answer order, the others fell into place. Like others, I was thinking of weight for a gram, but hey! Mass/node works.
I will say that all the comments about this being fertile territory for Mugglesโ€™ spoilers definitely was a spoiler, especially since I was thinking of a 4 letter answer.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

We Guinness fans certainly bit through our tongues!
TMart

Post by TMart »

Al Sisti wrote: โ†‘Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:54 am We Guinness fans certainly bit through our tongues!
Al, if you donโ€™t win the mug on this one, life is not fair!
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

I guess there is so much talk about grabbing/having/enjoying pints that mention of "pint" and a few reposts during the week went unnoticed, or unmentioned, at least. Is it a spoiler to inadvertently use the (very common) word/answer in a post?? CHEEERS!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

MarkL wrote: โ†‘Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:56 am I guess there is so much talk about grabbing/having/enjoying pints that mention of "pint" and a few reposts during the week went unnoticed, or unmentioned, at least. Is it a spoiler to inadvertently use the (very common) word/answer in a post?? CHEEERS!
I don't think that's a spoiler, since it is a common comment on this blog.
Cynthia
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

I'll count this in the shoulda, but didn't get.

I don't normally look at clues, but this one was so obvious, I definitely should have had it. Was looking for something like stones per fortnight.
Rufus T. Firefly
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

I think what could have been the spoiler was so many people mentioning how easy it would be to post a spoiler this week -- and then nobody using the word (and unit of measure) PINT in here, until one cheeky soul did so in post #80.
Last edited by Geoduck on Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.