"For Good Measure" - September 20, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

juliet wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:26 pm
Olaf wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:57 pm Anyone else check their spam folder every week, you know, in case the mug- winning email went there by mistake?
Thanks for the reminder--just checked (again). . .
It is important to check several times, just in case.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Olaf wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:57 pm Anyone else check their spam folder every week, you know, in case the mug- winning email went there by mistake?
Always! (Heidi)
Heidi
BethA

Post by BethA »

hcbirker wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:57 pm
Always! (Heidi)
Yes!
Hector

Post by Hector »

I don't care about the mug.

*checks spam folder*
lacangah

Post by lacangah »

I'm still learning to calibrate my 'out of place clue' radar; I could've sworn that 'TRANSVAAL' and/or 'ELWES' was going to play a role in the meta.

Good meta - have a good week while waiting for Thursday :-)
LesY

Post by LesY »

Olaf wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:46 pm
I see what you did there. :)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Is it fair to assume that emailing your answer is best? Using the online solver's Submit form leaves open the possibilty of misspeeling your email address. There's no SPAM folder catchall for that.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
KayW

Post by KayW »

Olaf wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:46 pm
I'm from Chicago - early and often, just like voting ;)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

Another popular one--we had 1416 entries, approximately 75% correct.

So many units of measurements to guess from.  For some reason two had a lot of support: METER (36, plus 2 SQUARE METER), and HECTARE (32).  Also the four hidden words (ACRE, DYNE, GRAM, LITER), and CARAT *6), YARD (5), FOOT (4), HOUR (4), and many others.

Congrats to this week's winner: John Cassidy of Staten Island, NY!
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:05 am Is it fair to assume that emailing your answer is best? Using the online solver's Submit form leaves open the possibilty of misspeeling your email address. There's no SPAM folder catchall for that.
"Misspeeling." :lol: Well-played.
BethA

Post by BethA »

I really enjoyed the puzzle! I like the multiple step puzzles, like this, where everything follows very logically. If I were forced to come up with a gripe, it would be that PINT is a measure of volume, and LITER within poLITEReply, was already used. Thought it might be nice if it were a measurement of some completely different quantity, like time, brightness, loudness, or resistance, capacitance, voltage, power, angle magnitude (the engineers would love it!).

Anyway, I sent in the comment with my answer that I appreciated another “science-y” themed meta! 🧪 😀
Colin

Post by Colin »

BethA wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:44 pm Anyway, I sent in the comment with my answer that I appreciated another “science-y” themed meta! 🧪 😀
Yes!! Go scientists!
One world. One planet. One future.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Colin wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:56 pm
BethA wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:44 pm Anyway, I sent in the comment with my answer that I appreciated another “science-y” themed meta! 🧪 😀
Yes!! Go scientists!
I have a much better chance with science themes than with movies, or music, or pop culture, or sports. Or airports. :D
asechres

Post by asechres »

Eric Porter wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:48 am We did have at least 100 on shore. Bob Cruise Director missed my post on Thursday and didn't include me in the report. I wouldn't have said anything except for the fact that the count was at 99.

I found it funny that someone did use the work 'pint' in their post.

I'm curious if anyone solved it by seeing area, force, mass, and volume clues and unscrambling. (I did solve it the expected way.)
I solved it that way, using the clues. I never even saw the units of measure embedded in the long answers.
GlennG

Post by GlennG »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:07 pm First a warm welcome to our newest muggle - Olaf. Great Scandinavian name and if you have never been to any of the Scandinavian countries put it at the top of your bucket list. Super friendly and a wonderful place to visit. Don't worry about the language as everyone speaks English well.
Very crosswordable name, too. (gotta point that out, given the venue :lol: )
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

BethA wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:44 pm I really enjoyed the puzzle! I like the multiple step puzzles, like this, where everything follows very logically.
Yes, me too!
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

BethA wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:44 pm I really enjoyed the puzzle! I like the multiple step puzzles, like this, where everything follows very logically. If I were forced to come up with a gripe, it would be that PINT is a measure of volume, and LITER within poLITEReply, was already used. Thought it might be nice if it were a measurement of some completely different quantity, like time, brightness, loudness, or resistance, capacitance, voltage, power, angle magnitude (the engineers would love it!).

Anyway, I sent in the comment with my answer that I appreciated another “science-y” themed meta! 🧪 😀
Yes - I like the science ones too, but if I don’t get them, it makes me feel worse. I also was looking for a goth type of unit of measurement, like length or something. I bet that’s why there were several entries for meter. I was questioning if another unit of volume could be correct, but everything else fit.

I didn’t think gig or mol would be real rabbit holes, as some muggles found. None of the other answers were abbreviations, so I think that would provide direction.

Anyway, ready for Friday! (I am old school and wait for my paper to arrive)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Olaf wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:09 pm
BethA wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:44 pm I really enjoyed the puzzle! I like the multiple step puzzles, like this, where everything follows very logically. If I were forced to come up with a gripe, it would be that PINT is a measure of volume, and LITER within poLITEReply, was already used. Thought it might be nice if it were a measurement of some completely different quantity, like time, brightness, loudness, or resistance, capacitance, voltage, power, angle magnitude (the engineers would love it!).

Yes - I like the science ones too, but if I don’t get them, it makes me feel worse. I also was looking for a goth type of unit of measurement, like length or something. I bet that’s why there were several entries for meter. I was questioning if another unit of volume could be correct, but everything else fit.

I didn’t think gig or mol would be real rabbit holes, as some muggles found. None of the other answers were abbreviations, so I think that would provide direction.

Anyway, ready for Friday! (I am old school and wait for my paper to arrive)
The answer had to be a measurement that a nontechnical person would know (good tip for the future). That eliminated mol. And gig is too much a slang word.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Ffrohbose

Post by Ffrohbose »

On shore...