"For Good Measure" - September 20, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

pddigi wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:48 am As a physician, I was put off by the clue/answer “Mass/node”, until I realized that it was part of the meta solution. Perhaps a bit pedantic, but it didn’t sit well until I realized why it was used (and I have to bow to colloquial use of “node” in many other circumstances, so I should just accept it!).

I had the letters to the solution and figured it was an anagram of pint. Dom made me feel better when he got there and pointed out the justification for ordering the letters beyond merely anagramming them. This solution had several steps but was only moderately difficult.
As a fellow doc I too struggled with that but only for a minute
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

Boy did I miss this one! Laughing as I leave the shore. Saw the gram/dyne et alia business; saw the mass/force et alia force business ... THEN saw 'light' in a big down answer and managed to tease 'lumen' out of a combination of letters that had something to do with all those answers crossing each other or abutting, along with the 'lu' in 'clue' ... well, you get the picture. Way WAY too much work and force for an obtuse answer when 'pint' clearly comes out so easily. Wild hare anyone? Still laughing ...
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

There were too many red herrings in there...I got stuck on carb for gram and rose (think wine) for liter. And the gig in the center threw me off too. Just couldn’t make it to shore this time...
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

My nit was not gig, but moles. A mole being a unit of substance in chemistry.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I got lucky, considering that I didn't print it out. I saw the terms and jotted down area, force, mass, and volume. As soon as I wrote mass, I remembered that slightly odd clue, and found the others. I do need to start paying more attention to the clues in general, though. Maybe I'll start reading them aloud as I fill in the grid.
KayW

Post by KayW »

MarkL wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:56 am I guess there is so much talk about grabbing/having/enjoying pints that mention of "pint" and a few reposts during the week went unnoticed, or unmentioned, at least. Is it a spoiler to inadvertently use the (very common) word/answer in a post?? CHEERS!
I thought about that over the weekend, especially when I saw PINT pop up in a few posts. I don't usually mention beverages in my own posts, but there are some here who do so very regularly. I think the word might have become conspicuous by its absence - and a "spoiler by omission" if those people revised their usual toasts :) So I was fine with it popping up in its usual context.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Janet wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:44 pm Finished grid, quickly assembled the clues, saw the gimmick, and then... got stuck. I'll have to look it over again. Isaac, I haven't seen you in weeks! Pour me a good measure of that Guiness, please.
I'm sure that I wasn't the only one rooting that much harder for Janet after she posted this.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Yes there were herrings in abundance as people have mentioned. Most of them were not part of the "Big 4" clues and though tempted I avoided trying to fit them in. I was led to the idea that it was a 4 letter (and therefore 4 clue) puzzle by FOR Good Measure, though that might have been coincidence. What almost threw me was the POLITEREPLY because, before I saw LITER, I grasped on PLY. 'Let's see that is a measure of thickness and layer of paper or wood - hey you buy them by the piece!' Luckily I saw the correct parts of the words and had already did a 'huh' on "mass" and "node" (also the health care prejudice). So I thought it to be medium difficulty but oh so much fun - which is of course how I define a puzzle I actually was able to solve.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

Meta solving tip number 3,165: If stuck somewhere in the process, go back and carefully read every clue. I normally am racing to finish the grid so quickly because I want to get on to solving the meta, that I completely miss a ‘clue within the clues’.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

It took me longer to arrive at the solution. I had all the words written but couldn't make anything of them. Until I took another look at the clues and I saw "area". Then I went on a hunt for the rest, leading me to solve it. I must say that the urging to print it out (I was already working on a hard copy) did propel me to look at the clues. And voila. Always nice to get a win. Even without the 16 ounce mug!!
HowardHuddleston

Post by HowardHuddleston »

Streroto wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:57 am
pddigi wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:48 am As a physician, I was put off by the clue/answer “Mass/node”, until I realized that it was part of the meta solution. Perhaps a bit pedantic, but it didn’t sit well until I realized why it was used (and I have to bow to colloquial use of “node” in many other circumstances, so I should just accept it!).

I had the letters to the solution and figured it was an anagram of pint. Dom made me feel better when he got there and pointed out the justification for ordering the letters beyond merely anagramming them. This solution had several steps but was only moderately difficult.
As a fellow doc I too struggled with that but only for a minute
A “matter” of lymph, perhaps?
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Those of you who found all the red herrings are operating from an abundance of knowledge that some of the rest of us don’t have! And could someone explain why “gig” was a problem? Cynthia J
Cynthia
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

CPJohnson wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:29 pm Those of you who found all the red herrings are operating from an abundance of knowledge that some of the rest of us don’t have! And could someone explain why “gig” was a problem? Cynthia J
I briefly thought gig was also a measurement (as in short for gigabyte)
pookie

Post by pookie »

I did not come up with an answer. I briefly thought that an ACRE is measured by AREA, but got no further. I still can't find any meaning in the title, FOR GOOD MEASURE. What does GOOD have to do with the answer?
steveb

Post by steveb »

pookie wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:39 pm I did not come up with an answer. I briefly thought that an ACRE is measured by AREA, but got no further. I still can't find any meaning in the title, FOR GOOD MEASURE. What does GOOD have to do with the answer?
Not every word of the title has to have a direct connection to the answer. Remember, there are no rules to this game, except that there is only one mug (most of the time, anyway).

Or ... pints ARE good measures!

(edited to show the posting I intended to respond to)
Last edited by steveb on Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

tim1217 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:40 am Meta solving tip number 3,165: If stuck somewhere in the process, go back and carefully read every clue. I normally am racing to finish the grid so quickly because I want to get on to solving the meta, that I completely miss a ‘clue within the clues’.
Right you are --- and I neglected to do so. I had the measures found in the long answers and I had the next step of identifying the type of measure but there I stopped. Someone on this blog suggested printing out the puzzle and doing it again if you were stuck -- if I had followed that advice I would have solved this! Live and (hopefully) learn.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

CPJohnson wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:29 pm Those of you who found all the red herrings are operating from an abundance of knowledge that some of the rest of us don’t have! And could someone explain why “gig” was a problem? Cynthia J
Gig is shorthand for gigabyte. So the real core unit is BYTE in that case, and it would be a measure of computer storage (memory or disk). Giga is the prefix (meaning one billion), just like there is milliLITER and so forth, and should cause no confusion in my mind. But the chemistry term mole, usually written as MOL is indeed a unit of measurement.

I have been a computer programmer for 40 years and have never seen gig used as a word. But people will pronounce GB or gigabyte as "gig" in conversation.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
juliet

Post by juliet »

Inca wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:47 am I, too, had area, force, weight, volume but I never looked in the clues. I hate looking in the clues especially since I'm an online solver. Also, we don't post spoilers here, but someone posted something that had the opposite effect for me. It was posted that this was a classic (Marie Kelly) Mike puzzle. So I said to myself, "Yay, that means no need to look at the clues, for sure!". Using the clues is usually a Matt move, not Mike, in my experience.

Good luck to all the muggles in winning the cup!
I think of Mike's metas as frequently having a helpful self-referential clue/grid entry--in this case it was 17D. Even with "CLUE," provided as a tip, I initially missed the connection between the 4 units of measurement in the long answers and their descriptions, (Area, Volume, etc.). It was only after needing to fill the puzzle out a second time that I found the pathway to PINT.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Anyone else check their spam folder every week, you know, in case the mug- winning email went there by mistake?
juliet

Post by juliet »

Olaf wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:57 pm Anyone else check their spam folder every week, you know, in case the mug- winning email went there by mistake?
Thanks for the reminder--just checked (again). . .