"For Good Measure" - September 20, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Still hanging with Isaac. I think the bloody Mary might need extra horseradish again!
Saw something yesterday and saw something new today. Just not coming together yet...
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:41 pm
grwinski wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:08 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:05 am
It is possible and one woman (nonmuggle) has won three times. :(
Bob, how are 'muggles' and 'non-muggles' defined in this context?
A muggle is anyone who has ever commented either here or in the WSJ comments.
Thanks!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Olaf wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:05 am
Congratulations on getting this one. Good luck winning the elusive mug. And, by the way, it is your round at the tiki bar. :lol:
Thanks for the welcomes! I have seen some of the terms used on this forum, but what does it mean to be my turn at tiki hut?

I’ll check out the faqs. I usually don’t spend too much time trying to get the puzzles. If it doesn’t come pretty easily, then I give up! So usually when I get one, it is the easier kind with lots of correct answers! Maybe with some tips I ca up my game!
Olaf - nothing really. I was just trying to be cute.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good Saturday morning muggles

First a warm welcome to our newest muggle - Olaf. Great Scandinavian name and if you have never been to any of the Scandinavian countries put it at the top of your bucket list. Super friendly and a wonderful place to visit. Don't worry about the language as everyone speaks English well.

An interesting contest from Mike which will be a Kas 4 when you see the answer. So far we have 11 on the ship with Isaac and 82 on the shore.

Keeping Isaac in business are
GlennG
Joe R
SewYoung
Inca
Janet P
Guy L
Laurence D
Janet
Tom S
ImOnToo
and Deb

Our shore contingent is
Hector
Darryl
Al
Leslie
Bird Lives
Wendy
docison
Meg
Frankie
Les
Chris
Tmart
Barbara K
Mike H
our two Beth's A and T who always seem to solve the contest at the same time
Mark L
scooby
Steveb
Tina
Jeremy
Jacksull
Heidi
Brian M
damefox
oldjudge
Cindy
Jeff S
DBMiller
Brian
Peter L
sharkicicles
Orsys
streroto
Julie O
Diana
Anita
ky-mike
OGuyDave
Moi
darthdriessen
MaineMarge who is requesting that someone on the ship water the garden on the stern
Frank
Cynthia J
JakeorJacob
Doug M
31 Down
ALS
troy
Kay
Gerry
Fred K
John B
Glyn
Kris
Ed S
Rita and George
Louwers
DrTom
Dave K
Alan H
Tom Wilson
joequavis
tim1217
JIm and Anita
Diane
Doug C
Jennifer
WBYonder
Paul D
Domenic
Joedbee
James C
Jimmyjam
Commodore
Olaf - our newest muggle
gamera13
Juliet
burd
Matthew M
BellPiper
and Anne

Good luck to all winning the mug. We have a streak of 1 going for muggle mug winners
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

grwinski wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:59 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:41 pm
grwinski wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:08 am
Bob, how are 'muggles' and 'non-muggles' defined in this context?
A muggle is anyone who has ever commented either here or in the WSJ comments.
Thanks!
Rita and George
One area I have struggled with is how to count the two of three people who have created a profile in Come Aboard or have made a comment but have never declared that they are either on the ship or on the shore. In most cases we never hear from them again.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Got it!

I'll have a flight of the local microbrews. Heavy on the hops.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:07 pm Good Saturday morning muggles

First a warm welcome to our newest muggle - Olaf.

Good luck to all winning the mug. We have a streak of 1 going for muggle mug winners
Hear! Hear! Welcome to all new muggles. May they keep the muggle mug-winning streak alive.

Joe R has been safely ashore since Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:26 AM and imbibing Warsteiner Dunkel, since, in practice for the world's second-largest Oktoberfest. Could look unto empirical or rational direction eliminating randomness. Pardon my lederhosen!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

On shore! 🏖🍹
Konnie
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:08 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:07 pm Good Saturday morning muggles

Hear! Hear! Welcome to all new muggles. May they keep the muggle mug-winning streak alive.

Joe R has been safely ashore since Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:26 AM and imbibing Warsteiner Dunkel, since, in practice for the world's second-largest Oktoberfest. Could look unto empirical or rational direction eliminating randomness. Pardon my lederhosen!
I think lederhosen are cute. I am still on shore, I see the ingredients for the first step, but can't quite see what to do with what I do see. Also there is a Joe Ross around the block from me in my neighborhood, but since your profile says that you are in Cincinnati, it apparently is not you.
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

On shore ... and practicing for Oktoberfest by drinking Monkey 47 (a German gin, distilled in the Black Forest, and excellent) and tonic.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

SewYoung wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:25 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:08 pm

I think lederhosen are cute. I am still on shore, I see the ingredients for the first step, but can't quite see what to do with what I do see. Also there is a Joe Ross around the block from me in my neighborhood, but since your profile says that you are in Cincinnati, it apparently is not you.
Obviously, I meant to say that I am still on the ship. Wishful thinking, I guess.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

This probably took me way too long. I'll tell y'all why tomorrow night.

But I got there.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Ok then. Thanks for the inspiration, Isaac. Got it. On shore at long last. On to the umbrella drinks!!
john day

Post by john day »

Ashore and enjoying my Guinness draft.
John Day
Jud

Post by Jud »

Made it to shore. Swam around a bit but eventually found my way.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

First a warm welcome to our newest muggle - Olaf. Great Scandinavian name and if you have never been to any of the Scandinavian countries put it at the top of your bucket list. Super friendly and a wonderful place to visit. Don't worry about the language as everyone
Thanks! I actually chose Olaf from the Frozen snowman. I am not male or Scandinavian, though I am now the proud owner of an abba mug from a Swedish friend who just visited there. I think they have an abba museum.

The abba mug is my favorite now, until I win the wsj mug.
AnnP

Post by AnnP »

Count me as one of the dozen or so still with Isaac. I just did the grid this a.m. and have a solid first step but then...nothing. I think I'll take a look at the faq's again. There's still 29 hours left!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

AnnP wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:53 pm Count me as one of the dozen or so still with Isaac. I just did the grid this a.m. and have a solid first step but then...nothing. I think I'll take a look at the faq's again. There's still 29 hours left!
For anyone who is stuck after the first step, I'd suggest printing a fresh copy of the puzzle and re-doing it.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Count me as on shore.

I don't love my answer but I can defend it.

Richard
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

The 2nd of 3 Dunkels, caught in the setting sun of Oktoberfest Zinzinnati.
Dunkel Zinzinnati.gif

The compulsory limburger sandwich for over 40 annual Oktoberfests.
(The bite into the top sandwich is my son's first taste of limburger! "That's interesting and would be horrible without the rye, raw onion, & yellow mustard...")
Limburger Zinzinnati.gif

Beautifully paired with a Hudepohl Oktoberfest bier.
Hudy Oktoberfest Zinzinnati.gif

BethA: Wear your Bearcat clothing to the Servatii Both #624 & get a free cookie!
Servatii Bearcat Cookie Zinzinnati.gif
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!