"I Really Don't Need This!" - September 13, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Robin wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:36 pm Embarrassed to admit I don’t get it. When can I read spoilers? Surely it’s ok by now?
50D isn’t a word...43A is misspelled... where are you getting ‘ashore’...😳
Welcome!

The deadline for the contest is midnight tonight, so there won't be any spoilers until then. This one is definitely tricky and different, but there is a method to the madness.

As for the shore/ship thing, our Cruise Director :) Bob wrote up the story of that. It's on the Community FAQ's page of the "Welcome Aboard" board: forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Can't answer those questions until after the deadline. After that all will be revealed.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:56 am Good Saturday morning muggles

We have 6 keeping Isaac company on the ship and 84 on the shore hoping for a mug
Hi Bob - did you miss me? I've been snoozing on shore since Friday :)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

KayW wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:04 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:56 am Good Saturday morning muggles

We have 6 keeping Isaac company on the ship and 84 on the shore hoping for a mug
I did miss you. We were looking for you since it is your round but now that we have discovered that you are on shore, we will count you but fork over your credit card for the 101 on the shore. :lol:
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:14 pm
Anomander wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:26 pm First time on shore, huzzah! Time for a Hazy IPA and football - life could be worse
Welcome, Anomander! Partaking of same as I type.

Finished 18 holes this morning & offered to buy the first round at the 19th. Heard the following valid excuses of "my grandson has a soccer game", "I want to watch the game at home", "I had bad fish, last night."

All valid, but, c'm'on... Beer.
What did you shoot?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Inca

Post by Inca »

It's so interesting how although we all love the WSJ crossword and especially the meta, but we can be so different in which we like best. I've seen the comments expressing displeasure with this one and about difficulty of the grid. I found this grid so much fun (no googling necessary for me...that's a good thing, of course. I don't think there was a single singer, song, athlete, team, entertainer. Only a few of the better known goddesses and an author.) and thought the meta was great too.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:20 pm
What did you shoot?
"A lot."

"Myself, in the foot."

"Better value than everyone else."

"Too much flora & fauna that didn't deserve it."

and

"My mouth off."

Your choice, none which aren't defendable.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

Dom beat me to shore easily. It took a bit of prodding by him to get me going in the right direction. I think this is technically a masterpiece, but personally, I find the clueing of the meta a bit suspect. Don thought it was fine.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

pddigi wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:19 pm Dom beat me to shore easily. It took a bit of prodding by him to get me going in the right direction. I think this is technically a masterpiece, but personally, I find the clueing of the meta a bit suspect. Don thought it was fine.
There will be a lot of discussion after midnight and through tomorrow
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
HowardHuddleston

Post by HowardHuddleston »

Obvious to me that I should have the answer but I do not, so I must have made an error somewhere in the grid but I don’t see that either, so hello Isaac!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:18 pm

I did miss you. We were looking for you since it is your round but now that we have discovered that you are on shore, we will count you but fork over your credit card for the 101 on the shore. :lol:
Kay's buying? Three fingers of The Macallan 18 y.o., with branch water, please.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Inca wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:30 pm It's so interesting how although we all love the WSJ crossword and especially the meta, but we can be so different in which we like best. I've seen the comments expressing displeasure with this one and about difficulty of the grid. I found this grid so much fun (no googling necessary for me...that's a good thing, of course. I don't think there was a single singer, song, athlete, team, entertainer. Only a few of the better known goddesses and an author.) and thought the meta was great too.
I absolutely concur!
Each of us has our own sphere of knowledge and each of us has a unique approach to solving a meta.
I would be hard-pressed to name a puzzle or constructor I like best. I truly enjoy every one of them -- even when I can't quite solve them ;)
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

I've got nothing! Except, probably, an extension of a bad streak! Wandering around below deck searching for rabbits.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

I see it. I just don’t know what to DO with it.
Konnie
KayW

Post by KayW »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:22 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:18 pm

Kay's buying? Three fingers of The Macallan 18 y.o., with branch water, please.
Done! I even brought the pretzels, though I'm not sure how well that goes with Macallan....
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Oh, good grief. Post enlightenment strikes again.
I’ve been looking at this off and on since Thursday with nary a clue.
I posted that I was lost and, BAM! On shore!
🏖🍹
Konnie
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

ImOnToo wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:22 pm Oh, good grief. Post enlightenment strikes again.
I’ve been looking at this off and on since Thursday with nary a clue.
I posted that I was lost and, BAM! On shore!
🏖🍹
I’m also laughing at myself for all of the gymnastics I attempted for four days. 🙄
Konnie
NaluGirl

Post by NaluGirl »

Ah, the light finally breaks through. So happy to join the party!
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

On shore!
Emmaa

Post by Emmaa »

Ashore, in more ways than two, and reporting in before 9 pm, barely. Enjoyed a real Alaskan cruise this week, and recommend it heartily, cause “I really did need this!”
Last edited by Emmaa on Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.