"Squeeze Play" - September 6, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
AnnP

Post by AnnP »

Guess I'm having a G & T with Isaac this week since I don't have a clue on this one. My streak of seven is down the drain :(
Janet

Post by Janet »

I am late boarding the Love Boat, just got back from a trip and am starting the crossword.
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are definitely on shore. Like others, we weren't 100% initially but we've warmed up to the answer and calling ourselves ashore!

Good luck............
Bill Harts

Post by Bill Harts »

After a great streak of 7 weeks solved, I am totally stumped by this weeks meta. Ill keep Isaac company and try to figure it out before midnight.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Lotta pair of shoes over last weeks. Had hoped to take the high cheese bridge, maybe slam johnson this week. Fear I found dead central. :roll:
Just fun Fenway lingo, no spoiler. [Translation: look up “Eck-Speak." ]

#GoSox
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Commodore wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:46 am Lotta pair of shoes over last weeks. Had hoped to take the high cheese bridge, maybe slam johnson this week. Fear I found dead central. :roll:
Just fun Fenway lingo, no spoiler. [Translation: look up “Eck-Speak." ]

#GoSox
More of a salad for me
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Very fun. Done and done.
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

Far too long to get ashore. To me, it’s a 99.5%er.
ArnoldMBrockman

Post by ArnoldMBrockman »

Is It Possible that the Answer to this Weeks Puzzle Has Nothing To Do With Baseball?
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

ArnoldMBrockman wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:05 am Is It Possible that the Answer to this Weeks Puzzle Has Nothing To Do With Baseball?
Sorry if this spoils it for anyone, but people seem to be forgetting something.

There is often a duality to the puzzle's title. If you interpret it one way, it's a clue into how to find the pieces of the meta. If you interpret it another way, it's describes the meta answer. Take the "Chain Gang" puzzle, for example: Five last names of people were "chained" together in each of the long answers, and we were looking for a fast-food "chain".

So yes, I would say it is entirely possible.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Well, my better half has towed me to shore in a life raft again. While I think I would have figured out the last one he did for me (Two by Two), I don't think I would have solved this one on my own. The answer does seem like a 100%er to me.

I came up with so many great (but incorrect) ideas for solving this one, I'm tempted to try constructing my own metas so I can use some of them!
Last edited by FrankieHeck on Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:04 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:03 pm Good afternoon fellow muggles and a slightly belated status

First welcome to our newest muggles the slumin8or from our blog and Ryan Landers from the WSJ page. And the WSJ is accepting comments however there are not many these days.

We have 7 on the ship and 34 on the shore. Several on the ship and some on the shore are in the same situation as I am. We have a very well defined path to the shore which hangs together except for one aspect which gives us some pause. So while I am counting myself on shore, I have not sent in the answer but will try to dig for a while to ensure that we have not been pageant'ed again.

And in honor of Al, my avatar this week is the last drop of Guinness going into the glass before being consumed.
This is my next goal... we're gonna have that machine at our local Irish Pub on Sept 19th. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyaCq7GcF-s
Is this a great country, or what!?
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Janet

Post by Janet »

After a long day of travel, I got home last night and did the grid. This morning, I had a look at it and came up with a 4-letter verb. It seems to fit. I'm counting myself ashore.
Inca

Post by Inca »

I felt like I was committing a crime by ignoring the meta so I looked at the puzzle again today. I love Mike's metas, but as soon as I saw all that sports lingo and references (I gather most of it is baseball, but so un-knowledgeable that I am not even 100% sure of that!), I just couldn't go further. This forum is very into their sports, especially this week, so I know I'm in the minority on this. Although it is possible that I might be able to ferret out the meta solution, I just can't get into it. Or maybe it's just that I've lost my meta-talent.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday noon
We have been having muggles getting to the bar and the shore in dribs and drabs. At present we have 15 keeping Isaac company, weeding the garden at the stern or getting ready for the weekly bingo game. We have 63 on the shore hoping that this is not a pageant repeat

Emerging on the ship are
Ed S
Sue J
Commodore
Bill H
Ann P

And making their way to shore are
Dave K
Beth C
Noneedforaname
Paul D
Domenic
Trey and Marion
Orsys
Peter L
Frankie
and Janet

My guess is that there will be either a lot right with the obvious answer or a very low percentage right if we have been pageanted
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

For anyone still struggling, my suggestion would be to think like Mike and consider the mechanisms he likes to use...

Admins: Please feel free to delete this if it might be considered too close to a spoiler!
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Batting avg for the week now up to .750, looking for that last hit. Either that or I’m so deep in a rabbit hole it’s frightening.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

EdStrong wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:24 pm Batting avg for the week now up to .750, looking for that last hit. Either that or I’m so deep in a rabbit hole it’s frightening.
Yeah, rough week for me too (although even batting .300 will get you in the Hall of Fame!). Got the MGWCC and PGWCC, got at least 2/3 and possibly all of the Fireball one, but still chasing curveballs in Chris Adams' Arctan(x) meta (which may actually be closed now) and MMMM.
Ann

Post by Ann »

Solved!
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

After a streak of five in a row, have now been spending time on board for two weeks and I got nada at present. Will continue to look at it, but time is now getting short.