"Simon Says" - August 9, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Ahh, the feel of sand under my feet, lovely. I almost did a "huh" on this and crumpled it up but then calmed down, took a deep breath and got my AHA. Its funny because the first time I solved it with pen and paper and it was not until I did it again online that I saw what I was supposed to see.

Something distinctly from my era, but then I imagine it is from most of our eras? Gosh I think this is 4 weeks - oh great now I'm sure to have jinxed it. Nice puzzle; I marvel at the construction and the minds that think up the meta and then set to work fitting it, in a specific order, into the puzzle. So darn inventive - Thesauric Astronauts exploring space, well numbered spaces at least.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Solved.
Cynthia
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Done and done. Fun and fun! Chuckled through Peter’s grid, but jumping ship now to go off-grid til next Thursday. Isaac promised to tend the garden 8d, since he’ll have plenty of free time.
(Plenty of free thyme back there for garnishes, Isaac- none of it spoiled).
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

iblinked wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:47 pm First time here, and first time to work on the meta. If I'm reading the forum correctly, I believe the correct term is "on shore".
;-)
Welcome! Congratulations on solving your first meta puzzle! Sounds like you have the shore thing figured out:) The “Welcome Aboard” board has a bunch of faqs about our lingo if we ever confuse you. Or just ask - we’re a friendly bunch.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

MaineMarge wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:27 am Done and done. Fun and fun! Chuckled through Peter’s grid, but jumping ship now to go off-grid til next Thursday. Isaac promised to tend the garden 8d, since he’ll have plenty of free time.
(Plenty of free thyme back there for garnishes, Isaac- none of it spoiled).
I see you’ve also started doing MGWCC - and had your comment featured in Matt’s write-up for last week! Cool!
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I'm safely on shore - albeit physically in London.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

iblinked wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:47 pm First time here, and first time to work on the meta. If I'm reading the forum correctly, I believe the correct term is "on shore".
;-)
Welcome to the group and you are correct on the shore. As Barbara pointed out, there is a lot of background on all of our "in comments" in the Welcome Aboard/FAQ - community section. There are also a lot of pointers from the experts on solving these contests.

Good luck winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Simon says “Welcome ashore”
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good Saturday morning to our very crowded shore. We have 120 on the shore and one person keeping Isaac company so if I missed anyone, let me know and I will correct things. By the way, our record for the shore is 137 set February 1 of this year so we might break that record.

First a warm welcome to our two newest muggles
iblinked has joined us here
and Daniel Finn joined us on the WSJ page

by the way, now I have three songs rattling around in my head: the answer, songs by Peter and Gordon and now thanks to Ed Strong that song which will be named only after midnight tomorrow but you know what I mean.

Keeping Isaac company is Joe Ross unless he slipped ashore and I missed it.

On the very crowded shore are
Al
inca
Hector
Meg
ky-mike
mheberlingx100
Tmart
Beth T
Frankie
docison
31 Down
tim1217
STL-D
OGuyDave
Jin and Anita
Alan H
troysail
Heidi
Mark L
Cindy
Les
Janet
Laura
Doug M
Steve B
mary F
Anita
ImOnToo
drabble
gamera13
PeterLee1a
Diana
Jeremy Smith
Guy
Barry
Tony
Barbara K
Scott M
Jack
scooby
Trey and Marion
David K
ALS
Julie O
Beth A
Toby
Brian Mac
Jimmyjam
Deb
Richard
Paul D (not sure if we have heard from your son)
Your humble cruise director
Bird Lives
Brian
Frank H
Eric P
Tom S
Bill T
Fred
William Koslosky
Michael Silverman
Diane
Jean
William D
Emily K
Jeffrey G
Steve A
Glenn G
Janet P
Chris
streroto
Kay
Commodore
oldjudge
Jeff S
Anthony Sarnicola
Doug C
SewYoung
JPMalone
Paul
Rita
John B
DBMiller
Geoduck
Bunella
Gerry
sharkicicles
Jennifer
Nalugirl
Cbakerriver
Howard H
LLinNC
Patty
Darryl
Stim100986
joequavis
darthdriessen
noneedforaname
Susan G
Natalie
Rad26
Ann P
David R
Juliet
Leslie
Bill H
martimeryard
MaineMarge
Bill K from London (I wonder how many countries we have had muggles comment from)
the Thurman8er
CO Johnson
Beth C
Dr. Tom
Susan F
iblinked
Ed Strong
Russ
Laurence
Daniel F
and Emily

Good luck winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Only need 17 more for a record? And a day and a half to get them? That's gotta happen! C'mon lurkers!
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Will add one more. Wow, it is an impressive list at this early point. Agree with most posts: the grid was hard and the meta very clever and cute. I finished the grid last night and saw nothing. With the fresh light of dawn, I saw it!
bobbydeee

Post by bobbydeee »

Safely made it to shore. Not the least bit seasick.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

bobbydeee wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:37 pm Safely made it to shore. Not the least bit seasick.
Another new muggle -- great to have you and welcome to the group

Good luck winning the elusive mug.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

Did the grid yesterday and nothing came immediately. Took it up again at lunch today and there it was--the way to shore.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:56 am Keeping Isaac company is Joe Ross unless he slipped ashore and I missed it.
Bob, you do a great job of herding us muggles. Thank you!

I am ashore, tyvm. For two consecutive weeks, I've taken Inca's advice and re-solved the grid using my phone, with the meta immediately obvious. May I shout, "DOH!"?

With a nod to Deb F's Dewars, a salute to all muggles with a finger of Glenfiddich & a dram or two of branch water.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

On a very crowded beach. As noted, being of a certain age helped.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

KayW wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:42 pm
sharkicicles wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:36 pm Looked at it for a couple minutes and it popped out, like one of those 90s "magic eye" puzzles.
Nope. Magic eye pictures are a hoax, fake news, the emperor's new clothes. I can prove it - I've never been able to see one, so they can't be real :D Of course, some weeks I feel the same way about these metas :roll:
I thought I was the only one on Earth who has never been able to see those Magic Eye things! My whole family laughed at me every Sunday when they were in the funnies. I always blamed the newspaper printing plant for not having the colors properly aligned ;)
Completely agree on some of the metas...
john day

Post by john day »

Grid was tough. Meta answer jumped out at me immediately. Ashore and enjoying my Lagunita Hop Stoopid on the beach.
John
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Commodore wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:47 pm 21D was my grandpa's alma mater. And 21D is traditional rival to my alma mater.

Grandpa's song:
"21D was 21D when [my alma mater] was a pup.
And 21D will be 21D when [my alma mater]'s busted up!"
Huh. My alma mater (a different tech school from 21D) used basically the same taunt, in a school song, for an obscure liberal arts school down the road from us. I guess I should have realized that it probably didn't originate there...
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

Grid was much easier for me this week than last week! Saw what I needed to see for the Meta, but couldn't figure out how the title played in until the song literally jumped into my head. Quick Google, kissed Isaac good-bye and started swimming ashore!