"Poets' Corner" - July 26, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:48 pm Saturday evening report, before Dearest Partner & I head out to a production of "The Producers" at Longwood Gardens on this beautiful summer evening here in Pennsylvania.
The poems that you folks have offered are delightful! Thank you! What a talented, uh, crew.
Joining the shore party since Friday are Ann, Beth C, Beth A, Carla, Colin, Deb F, Eric Porter, GR Winski, Guy, Gwyneth, Jen Irvin, L in NC (welcome to our happy band!), Patty, Richard, Rad 26, Susan Goldberg, Sheila W., and Tim 1217.
Maine Marge has come ashore but Olivia Zink remains uncertain of her answer.
Arnold Brockman has posted a warning about betrayal (does he mean spoilers?) but I'm not seeing any and I'm usually the first to gripe about them.
Me, too!! 🙋‍♀️
Konnie
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Nice one! Thanks, Mike. Solved while traveling across Montana, Idaho, and Washington on the way to Portland. Now I have to look for a spot on what seems to be a very crowded beach!
CandyB

Post by CandyB »

Toes in the sand,
Drink in hand,
Cheers to all,
Who made it to dry land!
Stukmn

Post by Stukmn »

On shore! Finally got to spend time on it while waiting to leave our hotel after a fun, family filled weekend in Middleburg, VA. Beautiful country and a cute town!
Don’t bother me until I’ve had my coffee and done the crossword.
john day

Post by john day »

Very busy this weekend. Finally got to the crossword and the meta and solved very quickly. Ashore and enjoying a draft Guiness.
John
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Sunday morning after Mass.
Came back strong after yesterday's mid-summer's afternoon sojourn into the land of nod.
Completed grid. Meta'd away. Very much an AHA moment, here on the porch, this morning.
Ahh, a Bloody Mary awaits with brunch.

Tip o' the quill to Mister Shenk.
Joedbee

Post by Joedbee »

Late to the hunt this week but just paddled ashore. looking for any leftover pretzel pieces. Another clever one from Mike.
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

I'm still hanging with Isaac! I have what I think is the first step to the meta. But now not sure what to do with those 5 answers...?? Anyone offering a nudge in the right direction? PM me, please!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Don't forget to send in your answers, everybody!
Final report: joining us on the very crowded shore (I'm sure Cruise Director Bob will do a head count for his spreadsheet) are I'm On Too (my apologies for overlooking you before!), JoedBee, the Commodore (after his amusing keyboard mishap), Stukmn, John Day, Susan F, Ann P, Dennis and Candy B. Joe Ross, thanks so much for explaining Arnold's comment. And well done, Ed Strong, for seeing the light.
Thank you, WSJ, for continuing to run these amazing metas!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

EdStrong wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:54 pm Ashore at last. Don’t i feel like an idiot.
Been there, done that

at least you got smart before midnight
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
bunella

Post by bunella »

Got a nudge
Looked for more
Had my aha!
And made it onshore.
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

I made it to shore very soon after completing the (fairly tough) grid. It clicked while I was completing the grid after one answer in the particular pointed me in the right direction. My son in Baltimore had the day off Friday and indulged his love of roller coasters at a sparsely-attended and poorly-maintained Six Flags park between DC and Charm City. He just checked in to let me know he too is on shore. So add Paul D and his son Domenic to the roster of shore partiers.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

HI all - our family reunion went great and everyone had a wonderful time. My daughter and daughter in law were especially thankful for the weather.

First a warm muggle welcome to our two newest clan mambers - JakeorJacob (which reminded me of Raymond J Johnson Junior) and LLinNC. (I think we have a North Carolina muggle club forming there)

We have 106 on the shore so Isaac has closed up shop. Bunny finally made it to shore with the pretzels as we were almost out. And Paul and Dominic brought more cold beer of all kinds

As an engineer, I can honestly say that I have not read any of these poems and have heard of only one of them.

Good luck winning the mug.

And many thanks to Wendy for very competently managing the cruise.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Ashore and wondering just how much time I'm actually going to spend on the MGWCC
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

On shore, just under the wire. Very clever -- not of me, of the constructors! : ) ) ) My high school English teacher would be so proud of me. Cheers to all!
Robert

Post by Robert »

Just made it to shore on a leaky air mattress. Went down a rabbit hole and spent waay too much time trying to find a 6th, uh, instance, in the grid. Then finally... d'oh. I'll just have a cold beer, thanks. Whatever you've got. :)
FrancesY

Post by FrancesY »

Just returned from a family reunion and something just clicked. Unfortunately I had already sent in an answer that worked ok, but the new answer makes a lot more sense. Oh well...next week.
lusophile

Post by lusophile »

Have been out of the game for a month or more. Only got to the puzzle an hour ago, and very rapidly made it to shore. Maybe it came too easy but it seems 100%
Emmaa

Post by Emmaa »

I have been here before, in AP Chemistry, when PIPETTES and BUNSEN BURNERS ultimately proved to be mere corner mirages, and the final SOLUTION put me in a sad place.

I sent my entry in shortly after 9 PM tonight.

Now, back again in a different corner, one with poets and poetry, I believe I have finally arrived to my virginal shore experience. Surely, exhaustion will be my excuse this time, if my alphabet betrays me; Nonetheless, the unfamiliar sand between my toes was quite convincing, and an appreciated welcome to this newbe, especially after an even more intense weekend journey, stalled and spent with aged poets. Hopefully the wear, stress and tension of the journey has only temporarily dulled the senses of my weary mind and feet, but has resurrected the poet inside of me, extending more than mere words, but lovely light, as well. Surely, now the midnight moon will alas reveal, to my carnal self, the solitary five letters are, in fact, my long sought souvenirs. Until then, it may serve me best to hold off on the celebration.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Now that the deadline has passed, I wanted to clarify that when I said I think I could have done this without Google, I didn't mean that I could have identified the names and authors of any of these poems off the top of my head! But the grid was solvable with crosses, and I had an inking of the meta mechanism would be, and I definitely would have seen TENNYSON if I had looked for a minute! And then probably I could have identified the others (they were at least familiar) and taken a stab at correlating poems with authors, at least enough to see where things were going. I'm a fairly illiterate engineer, but I have a better shot at this sort of meta than a sports-related one :-)