"AP Chemistry" - July 12, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Still with Isaac. I may submit a wild guess for fun if the answer doesn't come to me.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

DrTom wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:33 pm
AnnP wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:32 pm Count me as on the ship at this point. I have a good first step but can't make that final leap. Oh well, still fun.
I thought the grid was trickier than usual but that may be a generational thing. How many of you thought of two other Ollie's before getting the answer from cross-fill?
I still don't know what "Ollie" they are talking about, but it filled itself in when I got the other answers. Must be getting too old, or not old enough?
Ollie is a skateboard trick. (Heidi)
Heidi
Abide

Post by Abide »

Fully on shore but I had to Google several things. (31-D was not one of them). On reflection this is quite a construction. Very nice of Mr. Beckman to show this Muller guy the ropes.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:20 pm
OGuyDave wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:58 pm
Laura M wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:54 pm
I used to live in Boston (20 years ago) but still needed most of the letters for the penny to drop. I was delighted to see it in a crossword though!
Same with my wife. She lived in Boston a long time ago, and this terminology was unknown to her. When did it come into common parlance?
The abbreviation for the system goes back to the 60's and the stations have been known by 31D as long as I have been here (50 years)
Is Charlie still riding?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

OGuyDave wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:54 pm
OGuyDave wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:58 pm

Same with my wife. She lived in Boston a long time ago, and this terminology was unknown to her. When did it come into common parlance?
The abbreviation for the system goes back to the 60's and the stations have been known by 31D as long as I have been here (50 years)
Is Charlie still riding?
He will never return and his fate is still unlearned.

But he can not get off at Sculley Square Station as it is now Government Center
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
TMart

Post by TMart »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:45 am
By the way for any of you from not around the Boston area did you have to get 31D by getting the across letter. It certainly is not something you would know off the top of your head.
I’m not from Boston, but having just finished 8 years of kids in college there (BC and Tufts, consecutively), I am well familiar with 31D and filled it in with no crossings!
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:57 pm
Is Charlie still riding?

Does his wife still show up with a sandwich?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Janet P wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:34 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:57 pm

Is Charlie still riding?

Does his wife still show up with a sandwich?
At quarter past 2. Every Day
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
HowardHuddleston

Post by HowardHuddleston »

AnnP wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:32 pm Count me as on the ship at this point. I have a good first step but can't make that final leap. Oh well, still fun.
I thought the grid was trickier than usual but that may be a generational thing. How many of you thought of two other Ollie's before getting the answer from cross-fill?
I still don't know what "Ollie" they are talking about, but it filled itself in when I got the other answers. Must be getting too old, or not old enough?
“Ollie” is some sort of maneuver in that particular field; I looked it up even after filling the grid answer as it was making me nuts. Knew what 31D was after last Boston visit in ‘11 for Fenway & oysters! :) No meta success here, though, despite taking Chem x 2 and BioChem x 2 at different levels. Will check to see what Isaac knows!!
JimmyJam

Post by JimmyJam »

I made it to shore some time Thursday evening but forgot to post.

After about step 72, the smell of rabbit seemed strong indeed, and I was tempted to send in an answer I knew had to be overly broad. But I was relieved that step 73 revealed a 100%er. Very enjoyable meta, notwithstanding my complete uncertainty until the very end!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

HowardHuddleston wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:45 pm
“Ollie” is some sort of maneuver in that particular field; I looked it up even after filling the grid answer as it was making me nuts. Knew what 31D was after last Boston visit in ‘11 for Fenway & oysters! :) No meta success here, though, despite taking Chem x 2 and BioChem x 2 at different levels. Will check to see what Isaac knows!!
I thought of Hardy and Kukla & Fran's Friend (althouugh Kukla, Fran and Ollie were before my time, I remember my father talking about them).
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Don’t count me among the shore party — not just yet. I have just sent my answer, but I’m not wild about it.

I got steps one and two right away, then spent a long time thinking about what the meta answer that would follow from those. If what I sent is right, then I wasted a lot of time trying to find something beyond Step Two – something that would have been far more specific and far more difficult for the constructors to pull off than the generic I finally settled for. Or maybe the meta is really ingenious in that way, and I just missed it.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

On shore, I think. Good puzzle and meta, but not quite as elegant a finish as I was hoping for.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Our final count is 13 on the ship and 75 on the shore
Bird Lives is counted on the ship as he is getting ready to jump for shore - maybe

and
ky-mike
Jimmyjam
and Peter are on the shore

Good luck to all winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Sewyoung is on shore. Just hope it is the right one.
Inca

Post by Inca »

I'm sending in my answer but I may have been pageanted unless disarray is OK.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

I found out I was indeed standing on floating ice, but it drifted to a beach and I am now on solid ground. Dotted the last i and crossed the last t and everything fits perfectly.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I've been offline for much of the day, but I did come up with sort of a justification for the last step. It fits nicely with the theme, but it's still something of a leap and I'm not convinced that it makes sense. Can't wait to find out what was intended!

My guess is that many of those who are feeling less than 100% did get the right answer, but just took the long way around like I did :-) Anyway, I'm not feeling like there's a pageant involved; the "extra step" only affects your confidence level. After you get to a certain point, all of the paths go to the right place. (I hope!)

On another topic, in reference to 31D, I didn't mean to imply that the term wasn't in use when I lived in Boston. I used it (the term) (also what the term refers to) all the time, it's just that after 20 years I'd nearly forgotten :-)

Edit: Also, thanks muchly for the Charlie earworm... I think I remember a college group ending it like:
Did he ever return?
No.
[silence, shrugs]
Last edited by Laura M on Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Still here in the dark in the weeds in my new garden on the stern. That nice cruise director came back to check on me earlier when he was taking roll call. Heard he jumped ship though- hope he made it to shore. I wouldn’t even know which direction to start swimming so think I’ll hit up the bar for a last shot of something that looks good around midnight.
juliet

Post by juliet »

I've been following the ship's progress from port to port since the "war between the states," and would love to re-join the cruise! A marathon of The Love Boat on tv encouraged me to dust off my passport. Please count me on shore. My paperwork was messy from rabbits making havoc, but in the end, oooh, ahhh!