"AP Chemistry" - July 12, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

"AP Chemistry" - July 12, 2019

Post by Bob cruise director »

This week's contest is AP Chemistry by Pete Muller and Milo Beckman

The answer is something you might find in a chemistry class (if it was my wife's chemistry class the answer might be a fire)

Good luck to everyone
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

As much as we all love the puzzles by Mike Shenk and Matt Gaffney, I always enjoy when the WSJ mixes it up by featuring different constructors. For those who may not be familiar, Pete Muller runs a monthly music-themed meta crossword on his website Muller Monthly Music Meta, which is also available in the Washington Post on the first Tuesday of each month. There is a section of this forum devoted to this contest located here. He has also had 18 puzzles published in the New York Times.

Milo Beckman is also an accomplished constructor, with 9 puzzles published in the New York Times. He is notable for being one of the youngest NYT constructors, with his first puzzle published at age 15! He is also, as far as I can tell, the only NYT constructor named Milo. :)
Hector

Post by Hector »

Well I submitted an answer. It's conceivable that there's another step to it, but what I found is pretty definite. Fun & not too tricky.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I believe Pete (according to his website) is a professional quantitative investment manager and amateur (or semi-pro) musician...
Anita

Post by Anita »

Got this one very quickly. Liked this one a lot!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Solved! A nice job by the new puzzle constructors.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Happy to be 10D!

And after a couple years of doing Pete’s puzzles on MMMM, I’m very pleased to see one here.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Doh! The last step took me way too long!

Nice meta and happy to see a friendly face in the first part of 41A!
Tina

Post by Tina »

Count me on shore, although I think I may have missed a confirming step. I'm a big fan of MMMM.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I’m on shore. Nicely constructed! A 100%er.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Seeing lots of rabbit holes, but no rabbit yet. I'm on the right track I believe. (Heidi)
Heidi
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I am treading water near the shore. Not quite there, yet. I definitely see something, but have one little thing that doesn't quite fit, and even if it did, I would be afraid that there was another step that I have not yet discovered. I will sleep on it tonight before submitting what I have in mind.
Darryl H.

Post by Darryl H. »

solved on paper at work and saw the first hole. Second hole (AHA!!) occurred as I was driving home. My apologies to my fellow motorists. Hopefully, done and done.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Lovin' it here on shore, having thoroughly enjoyed this puzzle. Welcome, Pete and Milo, to the WSJCC family of constructors!
BethA

Post by BethA »

On the beach! 🏖 🍷

Nice one! Also appreciate the variety in puzzle constructors!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Tina wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:17 pm Count me on shore, although I think I may have missed a confirming step. I'm a big fan of MMMM.
I saw what the answer had to be before I figured out exactly how the last bit worked.
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

Ashore! I will say I was struggling to stay afloat even though I knew I was in the right direction. I think I remember they ran one similar to this many moons ago.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

On shore, and - like many others here - a fan of the MMMM (even if I sometimes fail to catch the tour bus).
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Printed, but won’t look at it until at least tomorrow.
Celebrating 32nd wedding anniversary today!
Original scan gives me a hint. But, I can tell that this grid will use different “solving muscles”. 👍🏼
Konnie
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

billkatz wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:42 pm I believe Pete (according to his website) is a professional quantitative investment manager and amateur (or semi-pro) musician...
Oops, thanks for letting me know. My apologies to Pete and I will edit the post.