"He's Good" - July 5, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Remember “Puzzle People,” the one where step one was to find all those 3-letter people who frequently turn up in crosswords – Eco, Uri, Ott, Ani, et al.? The answer was Yma Sumac, and I had thought that Matt’s inspiration had been the piece “Yma Dream” by Tom Meehan. (http://archives.newyorker.com/?i=1962-02-24#folio=034)

It begins, “In this dream . . . I am giving a cocktail party in honor of Yma Sumac.”
The first guest to arrive is Ava Gardner, and Tom introduces the two women. “Yma, Ava.” The subsequent guests include Abba Eban, Ida Lupino, Uta Hagen, Ugo Betti. You get the idea, “Ava, Ugo; Ava, Uta; Ava, Abba; Ava, Ida. . . “

I imagine a similar party but with the writers from this week's puzzle and others – Forster (from last week), Auden, the Lawrences, and so on. “TE, DH; WH, PD; JK, AA; EE, EB; HL, GK. . .”
Jay
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Ha! I never even noticed the last names in the grid. Did it on my (small) phone Thursday afternoon, and realized the initials of the themers were authors. Put the last names together, saw Wells, after a beat realized the connection to the title initials, and sent it in. So I didn’t bother to print it out or go back looking for more. Clever Matt!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I didn't bother to print it out since people were getting it so quickly. I found all the initials and last names and solved it based solely on 'He's Good,' but I worried when someone commented on how it was so well constructed and tied up with a bow, thinking I'd missed something. Later that day I was at my dad's, and he printed it to try. (I've been encouraging him to do them even though he doesn't usually get them.) He quickly found all the names and got WELLS. He was happy to solve it, and I was happy for the confirmation I'd missed!
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

Cassie4th.png
Hope everyone had a happy and safe Fourth of July!
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

I figured out the answer, but I missed the correct connection to the puzzle’s title. After I figured out H G Wells, the confirmation I came up with was “He’s Good”...”Good”=”Well”

All’s Wells that ends Wells. 😄
Konnie
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Can someone tell me the connection of the title He's Good with either the grid or the meta answer.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:55 am Can someone tell me the connection of the title He's Good with either the grid or the meta answer.
“He’s Good” = “H G”
Like the main answers in the grid, the first letter of each word are the first initials of the author.
Konnie
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Ahh, summertime.
Attachments
CommodoresLog.jpg
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

ImOnToo wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:02 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:55 am Can someone tell me the connection of the title He's Good with either the grid or the meta answer.
“He’s Good” = “H G”
Like the main answers in the grid, the first letter of each word are the first initials of the author.
I understand but that seems to me like an answer after you have the solution, and not, like normal, something that is a clue to the solution.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Meg

Post by Meg »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:03 am
“He’s Good” = “H G”
I understand but that seems to me like an answer after you have the solution, and not, like normal, something that is a clue to the solution.
Bob, first we got WELLS. Then confirmed it with He’s Good. Did you read the write up at the Fiend?
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

“He’s Good” = “H G”
You can also read the HE'S as initials, though I didn't realize this until after I saw that long answer initial mechanic.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I submitted A.A. Milne. I thought since the theme answers had the initials of the authors, the solution would be found the same way. And there it was, "air ace". Forgot to look at the title. Doh! (Heidi)
Heidi
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

hcbirker wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:01 am I submitted A.A. Milne. I thought since the theme answers had the initials of the authors, the solution would be found the same way. And there it was, "air ace". Forgot to look at the title. Doh! (Heidi)
Same here!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

“He’s Good” = “H G”
Even though I did get this one, I feel the same, Bob! Like two weeks ago (the previous MG puzzle) "You'll Take One Soon" which I didn't get...

P.S. I badly wanted to send you an oblique hint to read Peggy Noonan's column on Saturday in which she mentioned E.B. White :)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Meg wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:21 am

“He’s Good” = “H G”
Bob, first we got WELLS. Then confirmed it with He’s Good. Did you read the write up at the Fiend?
I did not know that there was another famous writer with the last name of Wells.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
KayW

Post by KayW »

Janet P wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:13 am
P.S. I badly wanted to send you an oblique hint to read Peggy Noonan's column on Saturday in which she mentioned E.B. White :)
Janet I also read the Saturday Noonan column and was sorely tempted to post a link! :D
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:37 am I did not know that there was another famous writer with the last name of Wells.
Looks like we don't have complaints about the famous writer like the time we had for the famous comedian.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Well crap in a bucket. I completely forgot to do the puzzle this week!! I got up from my sick bed and did the grid, but went back to bed where I spent the next three days. Aw man, that ends a 78 puzzle streak (since the PAGEANT one in Dec 2017). Looks like I missed a fun one too.
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:00 pm Well crap in a bucket. I completely forgot to do the puzzle this week!! I got up from my sick bed and did the grid, but went back to bed where I spent the next three days. Aw man, that ends a 78 puzzle streak (since the PAGEANT one in Dec 2017). Looks like I missed a fun one too.
If you solved the last 78, there's no doubt that you would have solved this one.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Yeah, given your track record - a long-playing 78, at that - I think it's safe to say this one would be a "gimme" for you. Here's to a continued recovery; I'm sure you'll be the first one out of the starting blocks come 4:04 p.m. Thursday.