"The Fourth Man" - June 28, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our Sunday report between innings of the London Sox-Yankees game

We have 23 on the ship and 34 on the shore. I wonder if this is as much a 100% solution as has been stated but we will see in another 12 hours

Joining us with Isaac since yesterday are
Susan G
Jim and Anita
Al
Frank
31 Down
Brian Mac

and making it to the spare shore are
Hector
Meg
ky-mike
Steve Beck
Chris
Gerry
and markhr
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
TMart

Post by TMart »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:34 am Our Sunday report between innings of the London Sox-Yankees game

We have 23 on the ship and 34 on the shore. I wonder if this is as much a 100% solution as has been stated but we will see in another 12 hours

Susan G
Jim and Anita
Al
Frank
31 Down
Brian Mac

Hector
Meg
ky-mike
Steve Beck
Chris
Gerry
and markhr
Bob - for the record, I am on shore as well as of yesterday afternoon. Not sure I saw all of your updates.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Count me on the ship with Isaac. At least I'm in good company there.

I have one ridiculous answer. If I submit it, I'm sure Mike will be asking where on earth did that come from and I'll explain my twisted pretzely "logic".
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

Dom got to shore waaaay before me, and I had no real excuses (emotional hangover from Vanderbilt winning the College World Series? Go Dores!). He prodded me without giving overly leading directions to the path of righteousness. So count us both on shore.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Strangest word in the puzzle for me was 41A. I've never heard nor seen that word before. And even though it is said that I should now be seeing it pop up all over now, I highly doubt it.

As for the meta, no idea. All the comments saying that it is simple had me thinking that I'll really be upset with myself tomorrow, but then there are those, albeit few and far between, that don't seem to think it quite so straightforward. So, we'll see. For now I'm out to sea, sea sea.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Inca wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:29 pm Strangest word in the puzzle for me was 41A. I've never heard nor seen that word before. And even though it is said that I should now be seeing it pop up all over now, I highly doubt it.

As for the meta, no idea. All the comments saying that it is simple had me thinking that I'll really be upset with myself tomorrow, but then there are those, albeit few and far between, that don't seem to think it quite so straightforward. So, we'll see. For now I'm out to sea, sea sea.
Fear not - Isaac has opened a second bar on the Lido deck because the first one is so crowded
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

TMart wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:57 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:34 am Our Sunday report between innings of the London Sox-Yankees game

Susan G
Jim and Anita
Al
Frank
31 Down
Brian Mac

Hector
Meg
ky-mike
Steve Beck
Chris
Gerry
and markhr
Bob - for the record, I am on shore as well as of yesterday afternoon. Not sure I saw all of your updates.
I had you on the shore
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Patty

Post by Patty »

I've got family visiting so I definitely haven't over thought it. And the under thinking strategy hasn't worked either, sigh.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:30 am
PeterLeea1a wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:09 am If this is going to break my streak of 12 (best ever for me), at least I can take solace that even Al Sisti is struggling this week.
Not looking good... and the last one I got wrong was the infamous PAGEANT.
Al. Mike has a hint hidden in plain sight.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Bob I think I fell off the list again - and Isaac cut me off hours ago ;) I made it on shore an amazing (for me this year) five weeks in a row!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Janet

Post by Janet »

For those still on the ship, tonight's show is En Vogue, with their hit "My Lovin". Performed at the stroke of midnight, of course.
Tina

Post by Tina »

Finally on shore. I had major difficulty this weekend with both the MGWCC and the WSJCC. I'm going to blame the heat. Yeah, that's it.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Hi everyone. In looking back it seems like the computer or the blog site ate my Saturday status which is why some have not seen it. I will post a complete list of the shore and ship parties about 9 pm EDT

If you have been in New England, you have been treated to some tremendous lightning over the last 24 hours
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Cindy wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:06 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:30 am
PeterLeea1a wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:09 am If this is going to break my streak of 12 (best ever for me), at least I can take solace that even Al Sisti is struggling this week.
Not looking good... and the last one I got wrong was the infamous PAGEANT.
Al. Mike has a hint hidden in plain sight.
Cindy - Mike almost always has a hint in plain sight. I have been looking for that hint since Thursday night and found a bunch of red herrings but nothing that is of much value. However I still have six hours.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

I’m with Isaac too, but tough getting his attention!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

"...and with one final heave, he scrabbled to shore. Oblivious to the taunts and jeers of the jubilant hoards -- "Ha! Didn't you used to be someone!?" -- he staggered to his feet and meekly summoned a waiter with his seaweed-draped prune hands...'Excuse me, sir,' he rasped. 'Could I trouble you for a G-G-Guinness, please?' " (due in great part to a nudge from a helpful Siren).
DaveWa

Post by DaveWa »

I decided to try one more time to figure out how I could use what I thought all along was an obvious hint from Mike. And, to my amazement, it washed me ashore. There's a clear path to the solution, once you see it!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

And Cindy in North Carolina; I don't recall that she has missed any.
Scott Medvetz wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:44 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:46 am

All of this is in good fun and none of us get all the answers all the time.

Except for Al Sisti
Cynthia
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Count me on shore Robert. It was either all that gin pie or all the extra attention I gave to my huge single peony “Pageant” today as I pruned off her last blooms. ( true!)
Inca

Post by Inca »

OK, I'm guaranteed to be upset with myself tomorrow: Either I'll be upset because I should have seen it OR I'll be upset because I let it niggle at me all day today.

Which do you think it will be?