"The Fourth Man" - June 28, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:43 am
Tom Shea wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:20 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:05 am

Hang in there. The more you learn, the better you get and the more fun these things are.
Bob, I hope that's not a picture you took yourself. Those bears have big appetites.
I took that in my back yard. The black bear had taken down the feeder and I happened to see him when I have my camera in hand. I went out on our patio and was about 30 feet from the bear when I took a bunch of pictures. Black bears are not inclined to attach but my wife came to the door and was freaking out. The bear just wanted me to go away so he could eat. Best guess was that the bear weighed about 300 pounds.
Sorry, I thought is was a different picture of a black bear. That picture of the polar bear was taken in Svalbard north of Norway from a ship. The bear and a couple of cubs came close to the ship which was stopped so I took a bunch of pictures. I would not mess with a polar bear as that mother weighted about 1200 pounds.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:44 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:43 am
Tom Shea wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:20 pm

Bob, I hope that's not a picture you took yourself. Those bears have big appetites.
I took that in my back yard. The black bear had taken down the feeder and I happened to see him when I have my camera in hand. I went out on our patio and was about 30 feet from the bear when I took a bunch of pictures. Black bears are not inclined to attach but my wife came to the door and was freaking out. The bear just wanted me to go away so he could eat. Best guess was that the bear weighed about 300 pounds.
Sorry, I thought is was a different picture of a black bear. That picture of the polar bear was taken in Svalbard north of Norway from a ship. The bear and a couple of cubs came close to the ship which was stopped so I took a bunch of pictures. I would not mess with a polar bear as that mother weighted about 1200 pounds.
Good thing you were on the ship. Seals and humans all look like tender meat to polar bears.

This is one of mama and baby black bear at our back door, a week after mama took down our feeder in VT.
ch06_16_07_09_07_47_04_641314.jpg
Rufus T. Firefly
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

After the second time a black bear took down our feeders, I strung a 400 lb test wire about 15 feet high between two trees about 30 feet apart. I have hung the feeders from the wire and no bear around here can get to them. I have a pulley system to lower the feeders to fill them. The squirrels however have learned to walk the wire to get to the feeders.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director