"You'll Take One Soon" - June 21, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning - and we hope it stays sunny for the sake of MaineMarge and her peonies

We have had a little movement but for the contingent keeping Isaac company, keep plugging. Once you see the first step, it flows pretty quickly

Currently we have 13 on the ship with Isaac and 59 on the shore

Joining Isaac since yesterday are
Janet P
Guy L
Patty
Bird Lives
Gwyneth
Candy B
and our lusophile (a tough skill to master)

Jumping to the shore are:
STL-D
Maine Marge
tim1217
Conrad
and Jim and Anita - team effort with their son so I guess that they are going to timeshare the mug three ways LOL

Good luck to all getting to shore and winning the mug. It appears you will have better odds this week
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Richard

Post by Richard »

I too am lost at sea. Several rabbit holes, no rabbit.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Robert I think you missed me :) I'm here on shore, hiding under an umbrella and behind an umbrella drink.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

KayW wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:00 pm Robert I think you missed me :) I'm here on shore, hiding under an umbrella and behind an umbrella drink.
My typing mistake. I had you on shore yesterday in my spreadsheet right after memay131 and before Cindy but skipped over you in the list.

My humblest apologies.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
KayW

Post by KayW »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:03 pm
KayW wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:00 pm Robert I think you missed me :) I'm here on shore, hiding under an umbrella and behind an umbrella drink.
My humblest apologies.
Oh my gosh NO apologies necessary - thank you so much for tracking us all every week!
And I've been on shore so seldom this year you probably didn't recognize me ;)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Late start this weekend but I am onshore. Seemed a little trickier than most to me.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Getting to know Isaac - keep peering up to see if there’s a shore in the distance.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Hubris halter? After a personal record streak, a lack of time, concentration and mojo have conspired to hit the reset button. Isaac,thankfully, has provided a steady stream of Perfect Manhattans to ease the pain! Congrats to all who saw the light.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

MarkL wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:10 pm Hubris halter? After a personal record streak, a lack of time, concentration and mojo have conspired to hit the reset button. Isaac,thankfully, has provided a steady stream of Perfect Manhattans to ease the pain! Congrats to all who saw the light.
Sometimes a drink helps me to see the light. Give it a try one more time tonight. You never know.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

the shuttle drives to the shore have gone home as there has been no movement in the last several hours. Isaac is having a great time with the group on the ship.

Final count is 15 on the ship and 60 on the shore.

Since noon, Richard and Ed S have gone to the bar with Isaac

And Peter has made its way to shore.

Also my ability to not jump over someone in my Saturday list is always a problem. Kay has been on the shore since Saturday but I skipped him so I could make sure I included Cindy

Good luck to everyone winning the mug. Based on the low number on the shore, this may be your best odds.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I wasn't sure if I should submit "bough" or "bow". I submitted the former, so I'm safe, but wondered if anyone submitted the alternate answer. Both seem allowable. (Heidi)
Heidi
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Not really, they asked for a five-letter noun. BTW, does anyone know if it is possible to win the mug more than once, or is it one and done?
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

oldjudge wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:15 am Not really, they asked for a five-letter noun. BTW, does anyone know if it is possible to win the mug more than once, or is it one and done?
There has already been a three-peat winner.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

oldjudge wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:15 am Not really, they asked for a five-letter noun. BTW, does anyone know if it is possible to win the mug more than once, or is it one and done?
True. I forgot that. (Heidi)
Heidi
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

FrankH wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:25 am
There has already been a three-peat winner.
Interesting—thanks Frank!
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Yeah. No! Sorry, three-dimensional, self-referential initial-translating quintuple homophonic hokey pokey is a bit too much for me. A great big tip o' the toque to all that saw this one through!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

My educated, besotted guess -- D R I N K.
Anita

Post by Anita »

I got in under the wire. Was away on a camping trip, but got home last night and solved the puzzle about an hour before the deadline. :-)
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Bough! Wow! This was a reel grate meta! Mat nearly had me on the matt with this won, butt I pulled threw in thyme to join the hoard working out at the beech Teaky Barr. We all took a bough together. How about a 7 letter adjective four this work of art: aaw sum! Thanks Matt! We kneaded that!
Toby

Post by Toby »

I got to use several of the tricks I learned from earlier metas: using the initials from multi-word themes which is seldom a coincidence if they all spell something, looking at the clues and not just the grid, and what I call a bounce-around (there may be a better word) where each step goes to another one to the answer. And I loved the final pun that wrapped it all up in a bow.