"You'll Take One Soon" - June 21, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I got this one pretty quickly, considering that I pulled up the pdf on my phone and solved it on graph paper. Then I put my phone away and didn't have the clues in front of me like I usually do. After I found the three-letter words, I did pull the pdf back up. And "bow" had actually popped into my head when I read the title, though I'd dismissed it because of the number of letters.

Still having no luck with the MGWCW though!
HowardHuddleston

Post by HowardHuddleston »

mflaminio wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:30 pm
MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:29 pm Greetings, this was a tricky one! We had 702 submissions, only 72% correct. Another 13 answered BOW--nice idea, but the instructions specifically called for a 5-letter word. Fully 83 of you submitted BREAK., plus a smattering of other guesses (including 15 for GUESS).

Congrats to this week's winner: Jerry Campbell of Westerville, Ohio!
Mike, you are the best. You didn't have to report it to this forum but you did and always post the link here. Thank you.
As near as I can tell, Mike's review didn't appear in the WSJ itself, on Monday or Tuesday. Just here in Muggledom. Something weird seems to be going on with their Comments section insofar as the crosswords go.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Would "You'll Take One Soon, Reportedly [or, "We Hear"]," have been better? (Because of course you don't take a bough.)
TMart

Post by TMart »

BrianMac wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:27 pm
Hector wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:17 pm I had the three-letter words and started looking for one-letter variations of them in the grid---a changed letter, an added letter, ... We have WIT, so look for "BIT"---wait wasn't there a clue that would work with BIT? What was it? Oh, WHIT. Then all became clear. Lucky stumble.
I spent some time there myself with:

WIT -- BIT
WAY -- RAY
WAR -- WAD
Pretty much exactly the process I went through.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

HowardHuddleston wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:52 pm
mflaminio wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:30 pm
MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:29 pm Greetings, this was a tricky one! We had 702 submissions, only 72% correct. Another 13 answered BOW--nice idea, but the instructions specifically called for a 5-letter word. Fully 83 of you submitted BREAK., plus a smattering of other guesses (including 15 for GUESS).

Congrats to this week's winner: Jerry Campbell of Westerville, Ohio!
Mike, you are the best. You didn't have to report it to this forum but you did and always post the link here. Thank you.
As near as I can tell, Mike's review didn't appear in the WSJ itself, on Monday or Tuesday. Just here in Muggledom. Something weird seems to be going on with their Comments section insofar as the crosswords go.
My best guess is that the override for allowing comments through Monday is manual that someone has to remember to do (sounds like a job for an intern). Which is why there is the automatic lockout after 48 hours some weeks until someone remembers.

also the number of comments on the WSJ comments page keeps going down each week. There were only eight when last I looked and one of them was my standard post directing anyone to this blog.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

83 entered "BREAK"? We're going to need a bigger bough!

What drink goes with and can be easily made while clinging to driftwood, besides sea water? I'll have me one'a'thems.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

BrianMac wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:27 pm
Hector wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:17 pm I had the three-letter words and started looking for one-letter variations of them in the grid---a changed letter, an added letter, ... We have WIT, so look for "BIT"---wait wasn't there a clue that would work with BIT? What was it? Oh, WHIT. Then all became clear. Lucky stumble.
I spent some time there myself with:

WIT -- BIT
WAY -- RAY
WAR -- WAD
I must be the only one who went down that rabbit and never emerged... I even had a spreadsheet going with all the three-letter answers from the grid! I also tried dissecting all the three letter words out of the long answers: WAS, TIN, ALL, TOO, AGE, FIE, FEN, END, WHO, ASK, YOU, WAN, ANT
KAS 4.5 for me! Hopefully Mike goes easy on us this week :-)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I'm afraid I could have looked at this for weeks and never gotten it. Every time I think I am getting better at this, something like this comes along and humbles the heck out of me. KAS 5 for sure, at least for me.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!