"Crosswords Rock!" - April 12, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:44 pm I was pretty sure I had the right answer, but then last night I was sitting at the bar, and the guy next to me ordered an Ice Capades.
“What’s that?” I asked.
‘You know,” he said, “It’s a pageant. On ice.”
That is very funny!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

This was a quick click for me - refreshing! I'm on shore, and don't envy Robert's job of having to sift through all the posts on both sites to come up with the Ship/Shore tally. Cheers!
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
Ffrohbose

Post by Ffrohbose »

Safely ashore
bunella

Post by bunella »

BrianMac wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:36 pm
bunella wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:30 pm Trying to figure out how to reply to a certain post and I can't so
The easiest way is probably to press the quotation mark button on the post of the person you want to reply to. This quotes their post into your reply and you can type your message below it (as is hopefully happening here). The person you are quoting will get a notification, but only if they have their settings set for that (you can customize your own settings in the "User Control Panel" from the menu under your name on the upper right).

You can also send them a PM (personal message) if you want to communicate directly and privately. This is under the little "Contact ..." button under their name. There are two icons, one for email and one for PM.

Hope this helps!
Thanks BrianMac it works i think! Good to know about settings too. I was wondering about that.
BethA

Post by BethA »

BethA wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:38 pm On the beach...finally. 🏖 🍹

Took too long! More than it should have. Brain latched on to a wrong tack, and wouldn’t let go. Stepped away for a bit, and with a fresh start, got it it in a minute!

So happy to see so many here!
So it was more of a doh than an aha!
DaveWa

Post by DaveWa »

On shore and headed to the Tiki bar to see if I can buy Brian a Kölsch to thank him for the great job in getting this blog up and running!
Jimpiano

Post by Jimpiano »

First time poster after lurking in the past.
Using the parlance of observed regulars I am ashore!
Thirsty, too

Jim
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Jimpiano wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:46 pm First time poster after lurking in the past.
Thirsty, too

Jim
Welcome!
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

Husband Jim rowed the boat ashore after a brief tour of the lagoon. We're happy to join the beach party.
sheilaco

Post by sheilaco »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:44 pm I was pretty sure I had the right answer, but then last night I was sitting at the bar, and the guy next to me ordered an Ice Capades.
“What’s that?” I asked.
LOL
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Jimpiano wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:46 pm First time poster after lurking in the past.
Thirsty, too

Jim
Jim
Welcome aboard

The Wall Street Journal started the meta contests in September 2015. At that time metas were new to most of us and we did not understand them so we were totally Lost At Sea. After a couple of month, Sally Schott started the Lost At Sea cruise for those of us who were learning. What followed was that those who solve the meta had made it to the shore and were enjoying the sun and the Tiki Bar.
Naturally those of us on the ship gravitated to the bar to assuage our sorrows. So quickly Isaac from The Love Boat showed up as our bartender. Along the way we christened ourselves the Muggles in pursuit of the elusive mug. And as we tried different approaches to solve the each contest, we went down some rabbit holes in pursuit of the elusive critter. (don’t ask about the logic of rabbit holes on a ship).

Along the way, Sally had some family issues so I took over as the tour director. I put out a quick status on Friday and then list the ship and shore parties on Saturday noon and Sunday noon.

All of this is in good fun and for the enjoyment of doing the contests with others that have the same interest. This blog is to encourage success for all members and foster a comradery from coast to coast. We also have some side discussions, principally on our favorite NFL teams.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:31 pm
So now that we have a regular forum, we could have a FAQ! Maybe a second topic under Introduce Yourself? You could put all that great info you've gathered there and not have to paste it every week.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:45 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:31 pm
So now that we have a regular forum, we could have a FAQ! Maybe a second topic under Introduce Yourself? You could put all that great info you've gathered there and not have to paste it every week.
Probably a good idea. Let me see.

However this is eating into my other priorities such as 1) spring chores around my house here in MA and in ME, 2) golf, 3) getting the meta this week, 4) photography and most of all doing what my wife wants me to do
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

I finally had a chance to look at the contest and the answer jumped out at me so I took the zodiac to shore. Also I wanted some pretzels and Bunny took them all when she left - as usual
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Made this one a bit more complicated than it should have been I'll blame the Thursday evening cocktails (not the meta answer type) and the hangover/lingering afterglow/lack of sleep from Monday night's game. But on shore now.

Go Hoos!
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:51 pm
Probably a good idea. Let me see.

However this is eating into my other priorities such as 1) spring chores around my house here in MA and in ME, 2) golf, 3) getting the meta this week, 4) photography and most of all doing what my wife wants me to do
It wouldn't actually have to be done today. Or this weekend. Or even this month :) Just a thought for whenever.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

I know but I figured it was good for a laugh
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Just added an introduction, and can now say that I am on shore, after having an 'iffy' solution. Now I am sure that my first solution was wrong, and the second one is a no-doubter.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Finally and definitely on shore. Good thing I waited before submitting. 8-) I had an answer that I spent all day trying to convince myself was right. But I printed a fresh grid, did the puzzle again and saw it right away. Still stuck on AVX and PGWCC, though.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Meg wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:47 pm
“What’s that?” I asked.
That is very funny!
Meg, I agree. I did literally laugh out loud when I read that!