"Horseplay" - October 18, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I quickly got the gimmick and knew who the characters must be. But I'm away from a printer and had to rough things out by hand, so it looked like there were a couple of gaps in my path to the solution. That's now fixed, I have dismounted and am standing on shore, trying to refrain from any subtle allusions that might spoil the fun.
Jay
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

Crossed the finish line with nary a horse feather in sight.

VERY clever!!!
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wow, I think I see the clue to the solution, but I'll be darned if I can get from the clue to the solution. I think this one might prove to be the one that breaks my streak of 5 or 6 solves. Guess I may still be on the farm team. Darn, just when I thought I was ready to play with the big guys. Oh well, humility is a good thing (not an easily acceptable thing, just a good thing).
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Grid solved but no horse as yet. I think I know the approach but can not make it work.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, this one seems to me like I need to know a lot more abut a subject I know only the rudiments of. That seems so odd that I have to believe I am over complicating it because seldom do the metas require any specific knowledge other than how to solve metas. Where am I going wrong? I hate it when I out-think myself.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
jakeorjacob

Post by jakeorjacob »

I’m nearly sure I know what I’m supposed to be doing, but it’s just not clicking. Anyone willing to chat in a PM with someone still aboard?
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

jakeorjacob wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:25 am I’m nearly sure I know what I’m supposed to be doing, but it’s just not clicking. Anyone willing to chat in a PM with someone still aboard?
I was getting nothing but gibberish for a long time ... keep at it!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

DrTom wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:29 am OK, this one seems to me like I need to know a lot more abut a subject I know only the rudiments of. That seems so odd that I have to believe I am over complicating it because seldom do the metas require any specific knowledge other than how to solve metas. Where am I going wrong? I hate it when I out-think myself.
The rudiments should be sufficient.
Many of these metas require some knowledge of life outside the grid. Names of baseball teams and the shape of the baseball diamond, volcanoes, elements, famous singers like Yma Sumac, cities where sitcoms or bowl games take place, etc.
Jay
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Isaac, it's been fun, but I'll see you next week.

On shore and having dinner tonight with cousins I haven't seen in a while. Coincidentally, they own four horses.

I can see no way that Marie thought of the theme and was able to construct this one. Four dimensional chess would seem to be easier.
Rufus T. Firefly
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

i didn't even have to attempt the puzzle to know the pair of well known characters were Margaret Cho and Yma Sumac.

i am done & done (with the real answer).
KayW

Post by KayW »

Well I'm still in the paddock. I finished the grid and see some bunny tracks - I hope they are actually horse hoofprints! But so far they aren't leading me anywhere but to Isaac's bar. Which is not a bad place to be. For a little while.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Ashore! Wow, that was a tough one!
Rita got the meta pretty quickly; I (George) was amazed at the path!
An exercise in Dressage!

Rita and George
Toby

Post by Toby »

Solved. Had a correct idea right away, but a bit of trouble putting it into practice.
KayW

Post by KayW »

OMG! On shore!! What an excellent puzzle and meta. I can not say anything more before Monday for fear of spoilers but I am in awe of Mike's brain.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

Delighted to be ashore and yet again admiring the construction of the puzzle. Thank you Mike for the fun!
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

At Isaac's bar. Nothing yesterday. Nothing this morning after the pen and paper version.
Marge, I am available to help in the stern garden as soon as I finish this Bloody Mary...
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Friday morning. Based on the numbers, this is the most challenging contest in the last several months. I think many of us are deep down in the same rabbit hole. At present there are 36 on the shore and 8 on the ship. Maine Marge's garden will not lack for muggles to help this week and Isaac better put out the large tip jar.

I posted this avatar last week after I saw the contest but before I got the meta. When I saw the meta, I felt it was too close to being a spoiler.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

Ahh! I love this one, a classic if you ask me. A bit foggy at points but got through it.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Happily on the shore after some struggles. Anything more would be a spoiler.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Toby wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:16 am Solved. Had a correct idea right away, but a bit of trouble putting it into practice.
My experience exactly, Toby!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!