"Location Finder" - January 17, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
elan

Post by elan »

I was able to take a look again this morning and it all fell quickly into place. I'm ashore.

Cute one! (Like all of you, I'm addicted to the AHA of it all!)

Happy Sunday and, if you're a football fan, may your team win today!
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Made it to the beach after finally seeing the method.
Hopefully those left frustrated will keep at it -- it is doable.
Good luck to all on winning the mug!

And, #GoPackGo
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I have an answer, I'm letting my brain get more caffeinated before I submit it.

yes, once you get there, it's an AHA moment.

I'd like it to fit the title of the puzzle better, but it uses the title to get there and it's a five letter word, so I think it's correct.

EDIT: they're not all "THAT'S A PLUS" where the answer ALSO fit both the method and the title.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Got it! Count me on the shore Bob!
Heidi
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

yes, Bob, count my toes as on the beach, we'll find out if I'm on the correct beach in another 10 or so hours
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

Our little landing craft appeared to be lost at sea until we heard from our son who was in the middle of a long international flight and managed to find the crucial insight which guided us ashore. We thought this was a tough one and are in awe of all those who found their way to the beach. Now we can turn our attention to the icy coating on our roads and sidewalks here in central Pennsylvania.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Jim and Anita wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:10 pm Our little landing craft appeared to be lost at sea until we heard from our son who was in the middle of a long international flight and managed to find the crucial insight which guided us ashore. We thought this was a tough one and are in awe of all those who found their way to the beach. Now we can turn our attention to the icy coating on our roads and sidewalks here in central Pennsylvania.
Stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

I believe that with a little help from a friend (this was 80% friend and 20% me supplying the missing link), I have made it to shore. At least I have a logical and reasonable answer.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:46 am Good Sunday morning. Most of the crews of the shuttles to shore have taken the day off as movement to shore has been at a standstill. A couple have been drafted to work for Isaac as he is getting busier and busier as more muggles are throwing in the towel and getting ready for the conference championships later today

At present we have 29 firmly on the ship and 48 on the shore - more than a few with hail Mary's.

Emerging to enjoy Isaac's libations are
Deb
pookie
SewYoung
Natalie
resthree
FrankH
and Mark L who I though had his toes in the sand but was just a mirage through my telescope from the ship's bar.

Making it to the shore since yesterday are
Cynthia J
Julie O
Cindy - who took time out from getting her floors refinished to keep her record intact
phofer
markhr
streroto
steveb
tim1217
David R
burak
Billkatz
and Bulls*****

I am hoping against hope for an inspiration but after 60+ hours of frustration I am not betting the farm on it.
Cindy was busy today shrink wrapping all the cabinets. Furniture is already moved out. Refinishing starts tomorrow!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Janet P wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:18 pm Made it to the beach after finally seeing the method.
Hopefully those left frustrated will keep at it -- it is doable.
Good luck to all on winning the mug!

And, #GoPackGo
Just for you I will cheer for Green Bay.

Look at how similar our two avatars are and how they came from totally different subjects
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Cindy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:34 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:46 am Good Sunday morning. Most of the crews of the shuttles to shore have taken the day off as movement to shore has been at a standstill. A couple have been drafted to work for Isaac as he is getting busier and busier as more muggles are throwing in the towel and getting ready for the conference championships later today

At present we have 29 firmly on the ship and 48 on the shore - more than a few with hail Mary's.

Deb
pookie
SewYoung
Natalie
resthree
FrankH
and Mark L who I though had his toes in the sand but was just a mirage through my telescope from the ship's bar.

Cynthia J
Julie O
Cindy - who took time out from getting her floors refinished to keep her record intact
phofer
markhr
streroto
steveb
tim1217
David R
burak
Billkatz
and Bulls*****

I am hoping against hope for an inspiration but after 60+ hours of frustration I am not betting the farm on it.
Cindy was busy today shrink wrapping all the cabinets. Furniture is already moved out. Refinishing starts tomorrow!
I feel your pain. We had our hardwood floors refinished a few years ago and we had to move everything daily for a week as they progressed from room to room.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
matthewmoravec

Post by matthewmoravec »

Ashore enjoying a fine kolsh, dittos on enjoying the journey if not the destination.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:37 pm
Cindy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:34 pm

Deb
pookie
SewYoung
Natalie
resthree
FrankH

Cynthia J
Julie O
phofer
markhr
streroto
steveb
tim1217
David R
burak
Billkatz
and Bulls*****

I feel your pain. We had our hardwood floors refinished a few years ago and we had to move everything daily for a week as they progressed from room to room.

That would be horrible. We had everything moved out. They bring it all back in on feb 1.
Tennisfan826

Post by Tennisfan826 »

Finished the grid on Friday and saw some potential paths toward the meta but it hasn’t quite materialized for me yet. Hoping I can get it figured out before the Australian Open kicks off this evening!
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Just got the AHA, but sadly no OHO quite yet!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Ftr I'm still onboard getting slammed. Thanks, hic, Isaac
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

'm still with Isaac enjoying some Scotchy Scotch Scotch. Just not seeing it.
NaluGirl

Post by NaluGirl »

Finally ashore with a little help from my friend.... well, son ...
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

I am with Isaac but am hopeful that the act of posting this will lead to enlightenment. Not much time left...
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Ashore at last after swimming in all directions. It took a nudge to see the last piece of the puzzle. Thanks nudger- I needed that! And thanks Isaac, for keeping us well fortified for these weekly battles. 🙋‍♀️