MEOW #3: On the Rebound

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

My error was projecting the diagonal in a straight line to the other corner. I mentioned this in my PM to MadHatter where upon I was nudged that there might be some bounces along the way. Then I realized the need to rebound off the black squares. Still had a few false steps (PARA....when I didn't bounce at the D at 41).

Yes, I was projecting the ball as a thin line glancing by the black spaces that would have bounced a larger ball. For me, I suspect this is from a background of gaming wherein I need to determine "Line of Sight". Using a thin thread which doesn't hit any physical depiction of a solid object (ie clear line of sight) is the standard. So my initial ping pong glanced by the various obstacles to spell out P-----S.