"Downsides" - August 23, 2020

Available by emailing a request to PandorasBlocksWMC[at]gmail[dot]com, these meta puzzles are distributed by email every Sunday. Pandora's Blocks crosswords are intended to spread the popularity of meta crosswords, however, they are not just for beginners and run the gamut it terms of difficulty.
hashbrown

"Downsides" - August 23, 2020

Post by hashbrown »

Thanks to Chris for bringing this new weekly puzzle to my attention! Grid was straightforward enough but yet to make any in-roads on a path to the meta solution... This has been given a 4/10 difficulty, or on par with Matt's Week 2's (the last of which I managed, but yet to get anywhere with the treasure hunting Week 3). Smooth solving all :D
-HB
Abide

Post by Abide »

Nice puzzle, which I was overthinking quite a bit. Needed a solid nudge to get on the Will train. Thank you Will!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
C=64

Post by C=64 »

I enjoyed looking up and learning about the lesser-known sites, which was necessary because I had a couple of Naticks and needed to verify their spellings. ;)

At first glance before beginning the puzzle, I predicted that the meta mechanism would be easy to identify but all I've found so far is alphabet soup. I have to grade some math projects today, but I'll come back to it this evening during the intermissions of the Bruins-Lightning game.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

Hi folks!
Sounds like this one ended up being a bit trickier than anticipated (which of my puzzles haven't been harder than anticipated?).
Glad some people are catching on! As always, don't hesitate to ask if you need a hint!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Meg

Post by Meg »

The puzzle is solved in my house. I am not completely responsible for that. But I had fun!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Dino Me 🦕
boharr

Post by boharr »

Nudged onto the Will train.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Too much reliance on Wikipedia led me astray on the first step . . . be careful out there!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Dinosaurs on the train? Okay, I’m there.

Clever puzzle. I concur with the suggestions to not overthink it.

Either Will is incredibly fast replying to submissions, or I’ve had very lucky timing the two weeks I’ve been playing.
Anita

Post by Anita »

Got this one very quickly without even a nudge. Fun!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Solved and confirmed! Nice!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:25 pm Dinosaurs on the train? Okay, I’m there.

Clever puzzle. I concur with the suggestions to not overthink it.

Either Will is incredibly fast replying to submissions, or I’ve had very lucky timing the two weeks I’ve been playing.
Will is fast. Can confirm. :)
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

I turn into a couch potato on Sunday as I try to watch the email account as closely as possible. But during the rest of the week, my response times vary widely.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Got it! Though I needed the nudge from Will. And also some perspective from my wife Lynne, who’s a retired ... oh, wait, I shouldn’t say because it could maybe give a hint (though not likely). Like some others here, I was initially overthinking. Fun puzzle!
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Solved with a shove from Will. Nice puzzle but I muffed it.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

This one was very impressively constructed....good to have a creator tell you in the instructions "go ahead and google stuff!" And the stuff I googled was very enjoyably educational and led me directly to the solution.