Know no End

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

lbray53 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:32 am Off the couch! However, I needed a bit of explanation from Dr. Tom to appreciate why my answer was correct. It all ties up very neatly "in the end".

I did not realize its until I worked on this puzzle, but I have created a persona for the constructors and many of the solvers of these puzzles, based on the written interaction in this forum. Perhaps I should attend a Tuesday Zoom to see how close I am!

The clues to this puzzle were just so, well, Dr. Tom, that I felt like he was reading them aloud to me. That actually helped to figure out some of the more clever entries. (5A, 15A, 7D, 25A, 44A, 68A and others). By the way, I thought that 68A was a singularly clever clue for possibly the most banal and ubiquitous entry is the crossword world.
I loved making that one, but I did have some reservations about whether it would send too many people to Google. I mean although the Wizard of Oz is a classic, unless you have seen it about 10-15 times at least that phrase might not hit you. I am distinctly guilty on some of these of an age bias, but our younger muggles are so clever it probably means little.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

lbray53 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:32 am Off the couch! However, I needed a bit of explanation from Dr. Tom to appreciate why my answer was correct. It all ties up very neatly "in the end".

I did not realize its until I worked on this puzzle, but I have created a persona for the constructors and many of the solvers of these puzzles, based on the written interaction in this forum. Perhaps I should attend a Tuesday Zoom to see how close I am!

The clues to this puzzle were just so, well, Dr. Tom, that I felt like he was reading them aloud to me. That actually helped to figure out some of the more clever entries. (5A, 15A, 7D, 25A, 44A, 68A and others). By the way, I thought that 68A was a singularly clever clue for possibly the most banal and ubiquitous entry is the crossword world.
Oh, and lbray53, as honored as I am, if you are hearing my voice in your head we may have a problem. I suppose if it is only reading you clues we are OK, but if it starts telling you to do other things you let me know. :P
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Flananigans

Post by Flananigans »

Late to the party, but off the couch. Super fun mechanism Dr Tom!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

New arrivals in solver central:
35 bhamren 11:41 AM
36 whimsy 11:46 AM
37 Cindy
38 FrankieHeck 12:26 PM
39 fuggedabowdit 3:03 PM
40 Flananigans 3:06 PM
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Off the couch with this very amusing puzzle. Thanks, doc!
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

Off the couch! I turned away from the MGWCC Leading by Example puzzle (stumped on that one!) to look at this one again. I dug a couple of rabbit holes and lo and behold, one of them opened up to the solution! That was a good one!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I was just reminded by an astute Muggle that It is Nudge Wednesday - sorry to be tardy to the party:

NUDGE 1: What do the title and the meta hint have in common?

NUDGE 2: and instead the Giant said, "Phi Fie Pho Foe"

NUDGE 3: Let Julie Andrews "start at the very beginning", as for me...

Do let me know if they are too obtuse (and I'll try a new angle).
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Leaving Mister Floppy Ears behind --
Capturebyebyebunny.JPG
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Couches emptying everywhere!

41 Seadub 4:30 PM
42 dudeski 5:01 PM
43 markhr 12:17 AM 24-Feb
44 BarbaraK 9:08 AM
45 Alvibu67 2:44 PM
46 Snood 3:45 PM
47 Whimsy 8:43 PM
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Awaiting confirmation. Fun puzzle. I love learning new words!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Knew no nudges.

Late start due to a vexing #664 & a funeral. Fun puzzle, Tom! I take back everything good I ever said about you.

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Off the couch (with nudges). Dr Tom, highly impressed with the puzzle, the meta, and the cluing! Well done!
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Scott Medvetz wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:30 am Off the couch (with nudges). Dr Tom, highly impressed with the puzzle, the meta, and the cluing! Well done!
Well as long as I am not being accused of being to Cavalier about it. :P
(although I am more used to seeing it with sabers I assume the scissors and V are also Cavalier?)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

The uncouching continues:

48 Joe Ross 8:20 AM 25-Feb
49 Scott Medvez 9:31 AM
50 Tom Wilson 10:30 AM
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:20 am Knew no nudges.

Late start due to a vexing #664 & a funeral. Fun puzzle, Tom! I take back everything good I ever said about you.

Wow, two things retracted! :D
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Confirmed!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

DrTom wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:19 pm
Scott Medvetz wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:30 am Off the couch (with nudges). Dr Tom, highly impressed with the puzzle, the meta, and the cluing! Well done!
Well as long as I am not being accused of being to Cavalier about it. :P
(although I am more used to seeing it with sabers I assume the scissors and V are also Cavalier?)
The scissors and net are a nod to UVA's NCAA Basketball Championship in 2019. Still reigning champs, but currently in a funk of three straight losses and offensive impotence.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

First time I've done a MMM, so I'm guessing I missed the deadline. (Work has been hell this week.) But I see it appears that instead of swimming to shore from the Love Boat, you get up off the couch? If so, count me as off the couch.

Thoroughly enjoyed this one! And it was oh so "Dr. Tom" in nature. You could have left the by-line off and I would have known!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:13 am First time I've done a MMM, so I'm guessing I missed the deadline. (Work has been hell this week.) But I see it appears that instead of swimming to shore from the Love Boat, you get up off the couch? If so, count me as off the couch.

Thoroughly enjoyed this one! And it was oh so "Dr. Tom" in nature. You could have left the by-line off and I would have known!
Ah, off the couch, isn't it divan!

Thanks for the bon mots, and the chance to reply with a mot full.

Tom
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Latest couch abandoners:
51 HunterX 11:17 AM 26-Feb
52 FrankH 7:47 PM