Do You Wanna Play a Game?

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

SewYoung wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:22 pm Waiting for confirmation, but I thought I was off the couch before seeing the parenthetical comment in Monday evening update.
60 A... I resemble that remark...
Me, too, apparently!
Abide

Post by Abide »

Tom Wilson wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:39 pm
SewYoung wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:22 pm Waiting for confirmation, but I thought I was off the couch before seeing the parenthetical comment in Monday evening update.
Me, too, apparently!
Tom, Sew (Lisa) I do not see responses from you in my box. So that may be a long wait😶
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Abide wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:56 pm
Tom Wilson wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:39 pm
Me, too, apparently!
Tom, Sew (Lisa) I do not see responses from you in my box. So that may be a long wait😶
Thanks for letting me know. I will try again.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Off the couch!

I got the alternate acceptable answer. I’d like to comment on why not the other, but it’s possible my comment could hint at the answer for those still solving.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Tuesday morning update:

17. boharr
18. SewYoung
19. Tom Wilson
20. ChrisKochmanski
21. Dow Jones

I had no idea on the difficulty level of this or how it would be received but I think it turned out pretty well. Thanks for all the nice PMs.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Even when working from home, with a well-stocked fridge and a wardrobe that redefines "business casual," the start of a new week can be a painful slog. Which is why I'm so very, very grateful that I've discovered Muggle Meta Mondays. Regardless of whether I ultimately leave the couch, these puzzles provide a tantalizing reminder that all is not lost. (Well, there's the small matter of my mind, but it'll wander home at bedtime.) Week after week, this XWord Muggles Forum is a godsend. And when some of the regular correspondents toss their clever creations into the arena - and this latest challenge from Peter is no exception - I am dumbstruck by wonder. Thank you all!
spotter

Post by spotter »

Is there video evidence of this WWTBAM appearance???
Abide

Post by Abide »

spotter wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:27 pm Is there video evidence of this WWTBAM appearance???
Yes 8-) I’m sure someone can find the YouTube link
—Brian MacDonald
Abide

Post by Abide »

Tuesday night leaderboard additions:

22. michaelm
23. BarbaraK
24. Dr. Tom
25. Sfull41

Best post award : Tom Wilson (thanks, Tom!)
—Brian MacDonald
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

🛋
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Left the couch as noted by Peter, another fun puzzle with his usual knack for great cluing. I particularly liked 17A, 19A, 64A and 38D (GREAT clue for a tough fill). But my favorite was 63A - still chuckling about that. Plus, when the answer(s) are revealed (leave it to Peter to fit TWO answers in one puzzle AND, I contend, even a third) I have one of those "well it seemed right at the time" stories. I mean I sometimes amaze myself with my own foolishness! It really has nothing to do with the answer and everything to do with my NEED to complete the GRID before I solve the META.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I got one confirmed answer so far. So am I sitting up on the couch?
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Abide

Post by Abide »

Wednesday Nudge #1:

Take a global view of the long theme answers : aardvark or ant is an A_____. Then think about the V and M categories.
—Brian MacDonald
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Got off the couch with a hint from Abide.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Ah yes, but did you get the THIRD game? Peter wasn't even aware of how crafty he was, but for the Bronze Star META-L with Confab V (award a META solver can receive for a heroic effort and meritorious deed performed in a cruciverbal conflict; the Confab V is for extra achievements while exposed to family harassment during direct participation in solving operations) I swear there is a Third,

PLEASE NOTE: All swearing reflects the opinion of the messenger and does not necessarily echo the opinions of anyone else, though of course it should. Opinions slightly higher East of the Mississippi, please close message before striking, this message is not a toy and should not be worn over the head.

Peter, you may temporarily disagree but if you look at the first one I sent you (in my "let's suppose" guise) you have to admit it fulfills the criteria pretty well!

the_games_afoot_mod s.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Abide

Post by Abide »

Wednesday Nudge #2:

Do not be distracted by the ramblings of the good doctor above. Instead, take a good look at the clues. There seem to be some repetitious characters there...
—Brian MacDonald
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Hmm - for those who read the spoiler above - if only my name were Nash, they would be Nash Ramblings and of course I'd be the Nash Rambler (well at least I am not a Gremlin!)
Abide

Post by Abide »

Wednesday Nudge #3:

If you have any more questions, send me a PM

Leaderboard update:

26. Beth Tyrpin
27. lbray53
28. BrianMac
29. Dave C
—Brian MacDonald
Abide

Post by Abide »

Thursday night update:

30. Cindy N
31. KayW
32. Geoduck
—Brian MacDonald
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

OTC (after one nudge).