"Air Force Beats Navy!"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Wow, I would have never gotten that.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

"Each of the new words precedes BOMB in a 2-word phrase. I wanted them to all be "types of bombs" but realized that CARPET missed that target."

Apparently there is no such thing as a "CARPET BOMB"; but there is such a thing as "CARPET BOMBING".
C=64

Post by C=64 »

I didn't get this one, but I like it in retrospect. I do remember trying to backsolve and running through a list of CFL teams in my head because the "North American" part of the clue. ✈
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Got the BOMB business right away, but totally missed the BLUE connection. (Did look through all sorts of league lists, including CFL but somehow didn't catch Winnipeg -- maybe I read it as Winnipeg Blues?! :roll:)

I thought too that it was going to be a college team because of the title and the NCAA entry.
And I started to look at the middle entry of LOWGEAR thinking that might mean something. Googling LOW and BOMB got me information about Bombogenesis, a very low pressure winter cyclone phenomenon, resulting in Ta-Da: That, in the forefront of everyone's minds, powerhouse, The Iowa State Cyclones!
Oh, the things you'll learn..... :P

Thanks for the puzzle fun!
Last edited by whimsy on Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wow, I was out and aboot in a boot and never saw the Whale. Neat mechanism but not in my wheelhouse, keep em coming I know that I'll eventually get one of yours because we were neighbors once! I live in Detroit so C eh N eh D eh was right across the Ambassador Bridge.

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Abide

Post by Abide »

DJ you left me off the list- more errata ;)
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Djquimby

Post by Djquimby »

DrTom wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:40 pm Wow, I was out and aboot in a boot and never saw the Whale. Neat mechanism but not in my wheelhouse, keep em coming I know that I'll eventually get one of yours because we were neighbors once! I live in Detroit so C eh N eh D eh was right across the Ambassador Bridge.

T
(Checks outside his New Hampshire window for invading Mounties and a very long bridge)
Djquimby

Post by Djquimby »

Abide wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:03 am DJ you left me off the list- more errata ;)
Aaargh-onauts.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Loved watching Dieter Brock play QB on channel 9 from Windsor when I was a kid. Back when CBC sports guys had bright orange blazers for a work uniform.

But for some reason my favorite player was BC Lions kicker/punter Lui Passaglia, of the straight-ahead kicking style that had been buggy-whipped out of the NFL by then....
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Cindy wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:08 pmYay!
Congrats, Cindy!

I somehow missed this puzzle until today (Tue Nov 10), after the deadline. And I would have been wrong anyway, because after surmising BLUE, I thought too provincially (I live right outside of Ann Arbor) and figured the puzzle must be looking for the Michigan Wolverines. Go Blue! (Actually, they're awful this year. And actually, that seemed too simplistic of an answer, but then I saw the answer while scrolling here.)

Nice puzzle!