"Four Letter Words"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Very comfy couch, but I think I'm off it. We will see if BMac thinks so......
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

oldjudge wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:24 pm Are you giving me the case to take Newton? I’m a Giant fan; you guys have nothing to bitch about. Having said that, it could be worse. I could root for the JETS, JETS, JETS.
My brother in law and a good friend are Jets fans. They are so beaten down that they are impervious to harassment.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Speaking of QBs, I was so surprised to find out that the answer to 48D (spoiler alert) was not Jacoby Brissett. And I had forgotten that the Say Hey Kid and Dr. K had played for the same team.
Jay
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Bird Lives wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:55 pm Speaking of QBs, I was so surprised to find out that the answer to 48D (spoiler alert) was not Jacoby Brissett. And I had forgotten that the Say Hey Kid and Dr. K had played for the same team.
Not at the same time, to be clear!
TMart

Post by TMart »

TMart wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:04 am Very comfy couch, but I think I'm off it. We will see if BMac thinks so......
And I am solidly off the couch. thanks Brian - great puzzle!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I just spent ten minutes looking for "FOUR LETTER WORDS" in the Complexity Scale puzzle from Pandora's Blocks. That tells you where I am with both puzzles.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
dencurrin

Post by dencurrin »

I needed nudges and thankful for them. Doubt I would have ever found the path without them.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Leaderboard as of Wednesday:
  1. RPardoe
  2. Meg
  3. oldjudge
  4. Cindy
  5. Beth Tyrpin
  6. ChrisKochmanski
  7. dencurrin
  8. boharr
  9. TMart
I felt that my last few metas were a little on the easy side, so I tried to ramp it up on this one. Maybe went a little too far? Here are some nudges:

You are looking for 4-letter words. They do NOT appear in the grid, either as standalone entries OR embedded in another entry.

A subtitle for this puzzle could be "Trek of the Muggle."

Good luck!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Cool puzzle!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I got off the couch, but only to faceplant on the floor, and Brian had to give me a hand up :-) Excellent puzzle, I wish I'd been able to put the pieces together on my own!

[Edited this post because I signed it, which looked weird. I've been writing a lot of emails today]
Last edited by Laura M on Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Sitting here with no power and looking for the third nudge.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

I hope your power comes back on soon!!

Try to think of a 4-letter word associated with each theme entry. Examine this list of words for patterns.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

I think I have it. The first nudge helped me refocus my efforts, and Brian confirmed I was almost there when I messaged him my progress.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I really struggled with this, even with the spoilers. I had given up and was typing in what I had so far to reach out to Brian when I saw the way to crawl down off of the couch. One of the themers gave me a problem which I apparently needed to see in type.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I THINK I have it but its only about an 80%. I know I have the mechanism (I figured it out and then after I submitted my answer I looked at the spoilers which confirmed I did) but I am not sure I got to the right final step. I emailed Brian so I'll see. I think there may have been one mor elevel of elegance that I missed.

EDIT: Well I too got it, but as mentioned by another Muggler, not be the right mechanism. I was correct, there was a level of elegance that I missed, but I'm going to say there was also a level of ambiguity that kept me from arriving home by the right route. Still, a delightful puzzles and clever mechanism and even a win with an asterisk (I believe I got 5 downs instead of the usual 4 - guess that makes me a Buffalo!) is a win. So. now on to the WSJCC (grid done, no clues on META) and maybe the Pandora one which has me equally confused.
Last edited by DrTom on Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
markhr

Post by markhr »

Got there, though Brian indicated my path was not quite the intended one -- mostly correct, but a tad different.
I'll have a beer anyway.

Enjoyable puzzle. I hope they find a way to keep these coming, even if it's not on a weekly basis.
boharr

Post by boharr »

markhr wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:41 pm

Enjoyable puzzle. I hope they find a way to keep these coming, even if it's not on a weekly basis.
I agree. These are great, and if they can't be every week I don't think there will be complaints.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, so Brian just revealed to me how I was supposed to get there - FANTASTIC!!! The ambiguity I mentioned was my own muggled mind, there is NOTHING wrong with this puzzle and I take my hat off to its constructor. Some day I'm gonna grow up and be a great puzzle maker like Mr. MacDonald. in the mean time I'll just muggle through. :oops:
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Awaiting confirmation but I think I’ve got it (with a nudge or two from Brian). Elegant construction. This one was tailor-made for us Muggles!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Hmmm - Richard, you'll have to explain why that was a spoiler later (or PM me). I must have my maximum density aluminum-foil hat on today?