"Unprecedented"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Here's the roster at the moment:
1. Beth Tyrpin
2. Dannyvee
3. michaelm
4. BrianMac
5. oldjudge
6. C=64
7. Laura M
8. boharr
9. FrankieHeck
10. BarbaraK
11. Al Sisti
12. Bob cruise director
13. TMart
14. whimsy
15. ChrisKochmanski
16. lbray53
17. Abide

Thanks for all the nice comments.
Jay
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Bird Lives wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:00 pm Eight? I don't think it was that many. I am sort of proud to have had one published under three different editors -- Eugene Maleska, Will Weng, and Will Shortz, though mostly what that means is that I'm old.
Eight puzzles! :D

Also, since it sounds like he may not know this himself, Jay was the first person to use the following words as entries in any NYT crossword:

FRUMPY
MARTIN SHORT
TEEN ANGEL
THC (those jazz cats!)
TOP THIS
COLDFISH
FRITES
RUY LOPEZ OPENING
SCREWBALL COMEDY

THC is Jay's most successful NYT word, having been re-used 11 times since he debuted it in 2003.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

BrianMac wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:13 am
Bird Lives wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:00 pm Eight? I don't think it was that many. I am sort of proud to have had one published under three different editors -- Eugene Maleska, Will Weng, and Will Shortz, though mostly what that means is that I'm old.

Also, since it sounds like he may not know this himself, Jay was the first person to use the following words as entries in any NYT crossword:

FRUMPY
MARTIN SHORT
TEEN ANGEL
THC (those jazz cats!)
TOP THIS
COLDFISH
FRITES
RUY LOPEZ OPENING
SCREWBALL COMEDY

THC is Jay's most successful NYT word, having been re-used 11 times since he debuted it in 2003.
i feel like I've been doxxed. I didn't know any of this.

I don't know whether to attribute the success of THC to the increasing weediness of the Zeitgeist or to its brevity.

The one of these I do remember is RUY LOPEZ OPENING. The puzzle had three 15-letter entrees whose clues were in chess notation. So this one was:
1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bb5
Jay
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Oops - forgot to say I solved this!
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

It's been ages since I got here before the end of the week -- I'm gonna dig in right now.

My goal is to solve this before any nudges are posted.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Submitted. Pretty sure I'm OTC.

Update: yes.
Last edited by Dplass on Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bird Lives wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:02 pm
BrianMac wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:13 am

FRUMPY
MARTIN SHORT
TEEN ANGEL
THC (those jazz cats!)
TOP THIS
COLDFISH
FRITES
RUY LOPEZ OPENING
SCREWBALL COMEDY

i feel like I've been doxxed. I didn't know any of this.

I don't know whether to attribute the success of THC to the increasing weediness of the Zeitgeist or to its brevity.

The one of these I do remember is RUY LOPEZ OPENING. The puzzle had three 15-letter entrees whose clues were in chess notation. So this one was:
1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bb5
It's also pretty safe to say that he's the first one in the history of the world to use the phrase "increasing weediness of the Zeitgeist or to its brevity." A room full of monkeys with typewriters clicking away for all eternity might indeed come up with the complete works of Shakespeare... but they still probably wouldn't come up with that phrase!
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

OTC, waiting for confirmation.
Anita

Post by Anita »

Off the couch! Thanks for a fun one!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Off the couch.
Great puzzle - thanks!
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Did this one yesterday...very enjoyable! I find it oddly coincidental how many thematic links are popping up among crosswords from this weekend...the plus signs between WSJ and NYT Saturday, the use of numbers in the grid in WSJ and MGW, and there's one here that I doubt has popped into anyone else's head...
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

OTC. Thanks MMM crew. IMO, these have been consistently of the quality of WSJ and MGWCC offerings.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

OTC. Waiting for confirmation. 😊

Edit: confirmed. Great puzzle!
Heidi
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Here's a gentle nudge if anyone needs it.

Note the extended clue at 36 Across -- those seeming extraneous words. That and the title.
Jay
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

I did, thank you. Made things click quickly into place with the right focus.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

I believe I finally got it!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

This is my first attempt at solving a “Meta Mondays” puzzle. I’ve been aware of them, but I can’t believe Muggles have been constructing them since May. It took the nudge, but I’m now off the couch. Kudos, Jay, for an enjoyable meta. Thank you so much!
Now I need to solve the rest of them, starting with Al’s from May 12, cause, hey, you can never have enough metas!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Since the first nose count, the following have answered to the roll call.

18. m5rammy
19. Cindy
20. Dplass
21. FrankH
22. Anita
23. Schmeel
24. Richard B.
25. Dow Jones
26. Dow Jones
27. hcbirker
28. Sfull411
29. Rpardoe
30. Geoduck
31. Cindy N
Jay
m5rammy

Post by m5rammy »

I couldn't have done it without the gentle nudge. thanks, good puzzle, I'd say more, but it's too soon.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Confirmed - I have left the couch! What I suspected early on, but got caught trying ti (1) implement incorrectly (2) being led astray by words unintended to deceive finally paid off. Loved the final twist as much as the mechanism and solve. Plus I learned about sad songs, English education and when that ubiquitous responder made a debut! EXCELLENT puzzle Bird.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!