"Popup Adds"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Dplass wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:51 am
TPS wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:49 am Not going to happen. Fun grid - thanks for making!
Same. Thanks for the puzzle! But, ... I'm laughing at my incompetence right now... I'm in the "this is a meta?!" stage of denial now.
Puzzles that I can solve are probably poorly designed in the sense they are too easy - like below a MGWCC - Week 1. At least 50% of the time I can’t even figure out what is going on with the WSJ puzzles that aren’t metas but have “themes”.

That’s why my favorite puzzle is MG’s Daily Beast puzzle short and sweet with nothing I can’t understand going on!
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

Confirmed off the couch, with the nudges. Once the pathway was partially lit, I thought--I should have seen this earlier. And then it was a super fun race to the solve. Clever in many ways that had to be pointed out to me!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:57 am
Dplass wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:51 am
TPS wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:49 am Not going to happen. Fun grid - thanks for making!
Same. Thanks for the puzzle! But, ... I'm laughing at my incompetence right now... I'm in the "this is a meta?!" stage of denial now.
I'm hoping when all is said and done, you'll both be more like "Ah man, I could have gotten that" than "Never, never, never." I never want the latter to happen. Never, never, never.
I've never gotten a MGWCC week 3 on my own, so empirically week 2 is my limit. Hence this 2.5-er is past said limit. We all have limits. Not everyone can learn to speak Chinese or play the piano or do a MGWCC week 3. I'm trying to accept my limitations and am trying not to get upset when I encounter them. So I laugh instead. /shrug.

UPDATE/EDIT: My, my, my, how the turntables have...turned. I solved MGWCC week 3 on my own last week...so I guess I'll have to amend this to "I've never gotten a MGWCC week 4 on my own".
Last edited by Dplass on Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Dplass wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:34 pm. I'm trying to accept my limitations and am trying not to get upset when I encounter them.
That is funny you should say that my GF and I were talking this weekend how outside of career/academics we are both slightly below average at everything - like not good at anything and certainly not great - rock climbing, surfing, snowboarding, golf, darts, pool, coding, crosswords, painting, cooking, running... To be fair, she is actually quite good at a number of things but she counts them as all academic/career - I mean she speaks 6 languages other than English and has a Masters degree in French literature - but we generally suck at all of our hobbies which is probably why we have so many. I guess I am good at skydiving because if I wasn’t I’d be dead but even that I’m not great at. Oh - I forgot fantasy football - I’m pretty bad at that also - and poker!
Last edited by TPS on Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

🚶🏻🛋️
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

TPS wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:07 pm
Dplass wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:34 pm. I'm trying to accept my limitations and am trying not to get upset when I encounter them.
That is funny you should say that my GF and I were talking this weekend how outside of career/academics we are both slightly below average at everything - like not good at anything and certainly not great - rock climbing, surfing, snowboarding, golf, darts, pool, coding, crosswords, painting, cooking, running... To be fair, she is actually quite good at a number of things but she counts them as all academic/career - I mean she speaks 6 languages other than English and has a Masters degree in French literature - but we generally suck at all of our hobbies which is probably why we have so many. I guess I am good at skydiving because if I wasn’t I’d be dead but even that I’m not great at. Oh - I forgot fantasy football - I’m pretty bad at that also - and poker!
Personally, I think that's a great formula! Could I be the very best in the world at something if that's all I worked on... every hour of every day for my whole life? Maybe, maybe not. And if I achieved that? So what? Is that a way to spend our scant time on this marble? Life is so much more rewarding -- for me, anyway - to be a jack of all trades and a master of none.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Whoa, I almost forgot a second nudge:

Four symmetrically placed rows could accept something you add. This something is the same thing for all four.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:48 pm
Personally, I think that's a great formula! Could I be the very best in the world at something if that's all I worked on... every hour of every day for my whole life? Maybe, maybe not. And if I achieved that? So what? Is that a way to spend our scant time on this marble? Life is so much more rewarding -- for me, anyway - to be a jack of all trades and a master of none.
Waxing philosophical, are we? Lemme!

An example of appreciating what the world has to offer: I've been playing more golf, lately, not having spent enough in previous decades to be considered average. I am getting better & my friends tolerate me. I've improved to the point of not being a hindrance, anyway.

Nearly everyone with whom I play is better than me, but there are a few who are simply impressive. It's fun to be there & witness some of the shots they pull off and pull off consistently. One friend, in particular, has a knock-down mid-iron shot he'll use as a rescue, or when a green is open & approachable at the front. For three decades, it still remains a thrill to watch him hit this shot. It's nearly poetic.

I have played enough to understand the innate talent needed to be awesome & the practice it takes to achieve higher levels of play. If I only watched the professionals play, I'd assume that the game was easy. Not having given it recent consistent effort, despite never being in danger of winning, I wouldn't understand nor appreciate the accomplishments & talent of others.

The experience translates, of course, particularly here. Witnessing others' abilities & being privileged to read of their strategies makes me want to try that much harder. Not to compete at their higher level, for I know my limitations, but to enjoy witnessing the process & improving where I can, so that I might be included in the conversation, occasionally.

[EDIT: grammar]
Last edited by Joe Ross on Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Joe Ross wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:23 pm

An example of appreciating what the world has to offer: I've been playing more golf, lately, not having spent enough in previous decades to be considered average. I am getting better & my friends tolerate me. I've improved to the point of not being a hindrance, anyway.

Nearly everyone with whom I play is better than me, but there are a few who are simply impressive. It's fun to be there & witness some of the shots they pull off and pull off consistently. One friend, in particular, has a knock-down mid-iron shot he'll use as a rescue, or when a green is open & approachable at the front. For three decades, it still remains a thrill to watch him hit this shot. It's nearly poetic.

I have played enough to understand the innate talent needed to be awesome & the practice it takes to achieve higher levels of play. If I only watched the professionals play, I'd assume that the game was easy. Having given it recent consistent effort, despite never being in danger of winning, I wouldn't understand nor appreciate the accomplishments & talent of others.

The experience translates, of course, particularly here. Witnessing others' abilities & being privileged to read of their strategies makes me want to try that much harder. Not to compete at their higher level, for I know my limitations, but to enjoy witnessing the process & improving where I can, so that I might be included in the conversation, occasionally.
Hear, hear. (or in the case of my golf, "Here, there and everywhere").
Meg

Post by Meg »

And you can cross-stitch. That’s something! I am NOT being sarcastic.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

...he said jack
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Joe Ross wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:23 pm

I have played enough to understand the innate talent needed to be awesome & the practice it takes to achieve higher levels of play. If I only watched the professionals play, I'd assume that the game was easy. Not having given it recent consistent effort, despite never being in danger of winning, I wouldn't understand nor appreciate the accomplishments & talent of others.

[EDIT: grammar]
I can appreciate that.

But I don't agree that it translates 100% here. Seeing a train of people getting off the couch, beamed up, or on the shore when I'm still wondering if this is even a meta, is not a fun, or inspiring, or learning, experience for me. Also, see above, where I'm "trying to" accept my limitations...
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Off the couch ... but since I've been substantially nudged, I'll activate the Non-Compete Clause and take a purely ceremonial spot on the board.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Meg wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:48 pm Nothing is happening here in St. Pete metawise.
Nor on this side of the Bay. Grinding. Did I miss the nudges? ( 700PM ET WED)
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Meg

Post by Meg »

MarkL wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:09 pm
Meg wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:48 pm Nothing is happening here in St. Pete metawise.
Nor on this side of the Bay. Grinding. Did I miss the nudges? ( 700PM ET WED)
MarkL,
The Rays just won the wildcard!! Pm me if you want a nudge.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Meg wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:46 pm

Wow, you remembered that?!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Just got back from golf, and then watching a streamed fundraiser one of our bands was featured in, and now ready to watch my Yankees... so here's the third nudge:

Post #46

Come on, I want everyone to get this!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:14 pm
Meg wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:46 pm

Wow, you remembered that?!
It just increased my appreciation of your many talents.🙂
TPS

Post by TPS »

So I think - I know the answer - I think I’ve known the answer (it would have been a Hail Mary submission if this was WSJCC). But I still have ZERO clues as to the methodology outside of my original thought which the nudges seem to confirm but doesn’t work at all for me in practice because I’m just not seeing it.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:18 pm Just got back from golf, and then watching a streamed fundraiser one of our bands was featured in, and now ready to watch my Yankees... so here's the third nudge:

Post #46

Come on, I want everyone to get this!

Now that’s a great nudge!