"Burns Notice"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

KayW wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:46 pm And kudos to Joe Ross on the most artistic solve I've seen yet!
Built 100% to Peter's specifications! He's the artist.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
TPS

Post by TPS »

I had fun with this one but got hung up on MIGHTYCASEY as Mighty isn't really a first name and Mighty Mouse's real identity is Mike Mouse (Not that anyone would know that) - But I eventually figured it out - I didn't do as well with the grid.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

This puzzle reminds me of a WSJ puzzle in the first half of 2017. Just in case someone wants to go back to the puzzles of that era and work on them, I am putting the details inside the spoiler button.

The WSJ puzzle is the one on April 14, 2017, titled College Search with the answer WILLIAM AND MARY. In that puzzle, each of the four long theme answers can be re-interpreted as the last names of two (sort of famous) people. The first of the pairs all have first name William and the second of the pairs all have first name Mary.