"Backup Plan"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

A man, a meta, Al Sisti.
Was I able
to solve it?
I'll know when he PMs back.
Jay
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Still with the 5 Little Monkeys, jumping on the couch. ( :P Hey, poetic license.)
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

I'm a jumping monkey. Doing the 14A dance and the 6 letter other famed 80s dance. But listening to the hit from 26A band.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Finally got to this one---(sore ribs from eating too many ribs in Memphis). Yes, nice cluing. Have not figured out how to apply the mechanism (yet). But if others can----
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

I'm so close! (To figuring out part 1... not sure how to apply what I've found yet.)
boharr

Post by boharr »

Dplass wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:41 pm I'm so close! (To figuring out part 1... not sure how to apply what I've found yet.)
You'll get it.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

I have problem finding that last piece. I did a search on one possibility, and it returned something obscure. And even if I assume that is the one, I am not able to take the next step with it like the others.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Confirmed off the couch. Still can't find the last piece but backsolved successfully. Wow, very Gaffneyian.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Mid-week leaderboard:
Cindy
Meg
FrankieHeck
TMart
Boharr
Old Judge
Chris Kochmanski
Tom Wilson
LesY
Anita
C=64
Beth Tyrpin
MarkL
BirdLives
RPardoe
Abide
Hector
DowJones
DPlass

Most of you got the idea and 75% of the answer with fairly straightforward ease. That last part? Well, that's what makes it a Week 3 (i.e., Mr. G. probably needs to be invoked...except for one Muggle who got it from memory). In retrospect, I probably should have tried to find something more in the Lingua Franca, but...well, I didn't. I thought it would have been accepted (reluctantly) once Mr. G. presented it. Anyway. So you probably don't need the first nudge, but here it is:

If you don't know where to begin, the title and 52A tell you to return to the clues and try to read them in a different way.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Who was the Muggle who got it from memory? Fess up. After the close of the puzzle.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

boharr wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:33 am Who was the Muggle who got it from memory? Fess up. After the close of the puzzle.
I think SHE will...
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Totally forgot I need two more nudges, so here's the first:

If you've got the three "easy" parts and even have the answer but won't be satisfied until you get the fourth letter, it's... well, the answer is in grid order...
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

...and here's the third:

Parse the reverse of the clue at 1A a little differently than you did the first time, when you probably dismissed it as gibberish. Think, for example, Latin.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Ok, got it. Needed the nudges for the final.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I have it. Got 3/4 of it and finally looked at the spoiler. Jeesh! Love the puzzle!
Heidi
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Well, finally tossed 3 of those monkeys off the couch (with every nudge I could get) and expect to follow too. I'm 99.9% sure of the answer but will explore 3 possibilities regarding the last bit, just to finish things off.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Aha! The last nudge got me the last piece. Now I'm completely off the couch.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Always some innovative wordplay from Alex. I got to the 75% point before the needed nudge.

For some reason that Choppa answer cracks me up.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

The final nudge (and google) got me fully off the couch too.
Thanks for the puzzle!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I'm off the couch, but I needed so much help I can't claim to have solved this one! Another excellent outing by Al, but just a little over my head and/or not on my wavelength :-)