"To Eat For Tea"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

Interesting grid, that part has been more fruitful so far. Pursued more than a WSJ-worth of rabbit holes and tried to backsolve as well. Maybe fresh eyes tomorrow will yield something. But I am definitely 70A, at my 62A, and maybe a bit 71A. :)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

oldjudge wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:09 pm I have it, I think-confirmed. Tom, you did a fantastic job on the clueing. As I mentioned to you, I usually view filling in the grid as an annoyance along the path to the meta. I really enjoyed filling in this grid—thank you! BTW, how many patients died while you were working on this?
None under my direct care, though I cannot speak for others. I kept mine alive with good pharmacology and constant prodding as in"OK, what's a word that starts with V, has 7 letters and ends with U" or "have you ever heard of a computer named HAL?" However, there were some that groaned in pain over a few of my puns - its a real trial to be immobile and HAVE to listen to my jokes. One patient even tried to change the subject by asking about teenagers in Singapore, though what youth in Asia had to do with my puns I am not sure.....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Abide wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:37 pm Nice grid and clues. More "spiritual" than usual, DrTom must be a Southern Baptist. Have an idea about the meta but nothing pushing me off the couch yet.
Well I live in the South and I work at Baptist Hospital, but Southern Baptist, well I'll just have to dance away from that one. I mean I thought I was rather ecumenical. I have Judaism, Hinduism, Catholicism, Theism and a piece of Maori mythology. I tried to get Brigham Young or Postum into the puzzle to go for LDS but failed. Besides Postum has been done to death lately and I couldn't sell spumot as a variant of Italian ice cream.
Last edited by DrTom on Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

If people are still struggling I'll post a Tuesday hint. I'd do it Wednesday but I'm in the hospital all day and oldjudge already warned me about patient neglect!!!
TMart

Post by TMart »

Loved the grid and clues. Still looking for a meta answer (on this and on Will’s). And with MMMM and PGWCC up today, it’s going to be a busy Tuesday!
LesY

Post by LesY »

This was a super enjoyable puzzle. And my wife and I had a funny moment when solving I can reveal later. Very appropriate to have some laughs with a Dr Tom puzzle!

Thanks very much, Dr Tom and Brian Mac. More please!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

LesY wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:25 am This was a super enjoyable puzzle. And my wife and I had a funny moment when solving I can reveal later. Very appropriate to have some laughs with a Dr Tom puzzle!

Thanks very much, Dr Tom and Brian Mac. More please!
And as a semi-expert I can tell you laughter IS the best medicine, if only I could patent it.....
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Off the couch. Fun puzzle!
Heidi
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

🛋
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Beth Tyrpin wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:40 am🛋
Beth I don't see you on the couch (granted I had to increase my screen magnification before I saw it was a couch) - does that mean you've solved?
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

DrTom wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:47 am If people are still struggling I'll post a Tuesday hint. I'd do it Wednesday but I'm in the hospital all day and oldjudge already warned me about patient neglect!!!
Yes please!
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

I'll take a little Tuesday nudge.

Will PM progress to date. As a "Southerner" only by repeated relocation, I have some inkling of where you may be pointing.

Cheers!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Trying to up my meta load now that I'm getting the hang of it and thought I'd start with those of my peeps.
Only as far as the very fun grid -- but my trusty pencil is poised to start circling & doodling.
Thanks, DrTom and Brian.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Ok Wednesday nudge #1

The Title gives a big hint to the mechanism, look at the two main words, what do you see?
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wednesday nudge #2

Remember please that I cut my Meta teeth doing Gaffney and Shenk metas. Therefore I tend to adopt their favorite techniques and especially one that has been VERY popular the last few weeks!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wednesday nudge #3 (biggest of all, pretty much a downright SHOVE)

Thankfully legumes are rather immobile otherwise if I wanted to eat them for tea I’d have to stun the nuts and that would take away from time spent looking for imperfections in my fruit. I HATE lumps in plums!

OK, I said it was a big nudge, I didn't say it wasn't a cryptic nudge....(as opposed to a triptych nudge which would have to be given on three panels I assume?)
Last edited by DrTom on Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
markhr

Post by markhr »

Yikes. Two days looking at this, and three nudges from the constructor, and I still have no idea what is going on here.
I think I'm gonna have to bail on this one. Sometimes you're just on the wrong wavelength.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Wow, Thomas! After solving, I apologize for every good thing I've ever thought about you, along with the bad.

Seriously, fantastic puzzle, which became clear once I was kicked across the finish line!

I'm celebrating with a glopping of blueberries, banana, spinach, apple, orange, POM Wonderful, & ReaLemon, which is fitting, doncha think (particularly after they've been muddle & whirred)?

CONGRATULATIONS on a great puzzle!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Nudge #1 was actually one of the first things I considered, but for whatever reason I didn’t get anywhere with it until I peeked and saw that it really was the right idea. Then it all came together.

Off the couch (pending confirmation, but it seems solid to me.)
markhr

Post by markhr »

With the good doctor's nudges, I finally made it off the couch.
Turned out to be quite a fun puzzle, once the mechanism came into focus.