"Political Machine"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

When someone on the Zoom call pointed out that tomorrow is already Nudge Wednesday, I knew I had to get back to this and finish it. And there it was! What fun!
pamster

Post by pamster »

MarkL wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:50 pm Great grid. Learned a thing or two. 34D was 'puzzling' without the CAPS. Grinding on the meta and look forward to Nudge Wednesday.

Cheers,
Yes, I came here to comment on 34D as well. I really enjoyed the grid.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I found the grid difficult but in the good way. It was challenging but doable. The stuff I didn't know had crosses I could figure out.

I'm off the couch with an answer I'm quite confident in, but I'm going to PM Peter because I'm wondering if there's something about the title I'm missing.

A bit of confusion about actually led me to the solution. I was googling someone and did not see something I expected and realized I was thinking of someone else, and then suddenly there was the answer.

(A question for all the constructors - I have generally not been PMing my solution if I'm confident it's right; I just post here. Would you like to get a PM though?)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

spotter wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:44 pm
Hector wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:05 pm Heh, cute. This one is likely to skew boomer.
You lost me at boomer
Google is your friend.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:16 pm I found the grid difficult but in the good way. It was challenging but doable. The stuff I didn't know had crosses I could figure out.

I'm off the couch with an answer I'm quite confident in, but I'm going to PM Peter because I'm wondering if there's something about the title I'm missing.

A bit of confusion about actually led me to the solution. I was googling someone and did not see something I expected and realized I was thinking of someone else, and then suddenly there was the answer.

(A question for all the constructors - I have generally not been PMing my solution if I'm confident it's right; I just post here. Would you like to get a PM though?)
I count solvers by a combination of the PMed answers and the ones who post that they are OTC. I actually like getting the PMs.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Thanks to Zoom-tip from FrankieHeck, I just watched a bunch of 20-somethings flailing about on a Twitch stream (scootsbaboo) trying to crack this meta. They never did.

So the youngsters can have a fair shake, if you haven't solved AND ARE UNDER 40, you can review the alternate title for the puzzle below

Political Primary
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Abide wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:26 pm Thanks to Zoom-tip from FrankieHeck, I just watched a bunch of 20-somethings flailing about on a Twitch stream (scootsbaboo) trying to crack this meta. They never did.

So the youngsters can have a fair shake, if you haven't solved AND ARE UNDER 40, you can review the alternate title for the puzzle below

Political Primary
I'm over 50 and still don't get it. Don't assume people of a certain age will know or not know something.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Man, I can't wait for this to be revealed. You will want to hoist Peter on your shoulders.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Hah! Funny puzzle. Pretty sure I’m off the couch. Thanks, Peter!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Could we get a (rot13) nudge or three please?
Abide

Post by Abide »

Ok this is the first of three Dr Pepper nudges (10, 2, and 4 CST)

A more literal title to helping you find the meta is Political Primary. Think about that in connection to the four politicians
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Thanks. What's a Dr Pepper nudge?
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Dplass wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:11 am Thanks. What's a Dr Pepper nudge?
These were/are the times of day when it was suggested to drink Dr. Pepper for extra energy:10 AM, 2 PM and 4 PM. The times are on the label.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Off the couch.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:49 am
Dplass wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:11 am Thanks. What's a Dr Pepper nudge?
These were/are the times of day when it was suggested to drink Dr. Pepper for extra energy:10 AM, 2 PM and 4 PM. The times are on the label.
Wow, looks like that campaign ended in the mid to late 1970s (when I was but a wee lad.)
Abide

Post by Abide »

With real cane sugar, available on AmazonImage
—Brian MacDonald
Abide

Post by Abide »

Nudge #2:

Along with the four politicians, 18-A (Prepare to swim, perhaps) is a nudge to help you get to the shore. Sometimes the key to the meta is staring you right in the face...

C'mon Sal and Dplass, you can get this!
—Brian MacDonald
Abide

Post by Abide »

Nudge #3:

A wise woman once said(above) "Google is your friend". Try Googling the last names as a group, and see if anything shakes loose. If that doesn't work, try the first names.
Last edited by Abide on Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
—Brian MacDonald
spotter

Post by spotter »

Abide wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:24 pm Nudge #3:

A wise man once said(above) "Google is your friend". Try Googling the last names as a group, and see if anything shakes loose. If that doesn't work, try the first names.
Took me to this nudge to get it. Now I get it. Wouldn't have ever gotten it without this :lol:
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

spotter wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:38 pm
Abide wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:24 pm Nudge #3:

A wise man once said(above) "Google is your friend". Try Googling the last names as a group, and see if anything shakes loose. If that doesn't work, try the first names.
Took me to this nudge to get it. Now I get it. Wouldn't have ever gotten it without this :lol:
Me either! Never occurred to me! Should have, but didn't. Very funny!
Heidi