"A Series of Unfortunate Events"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
adamsimonlevine

Post by adamsimonlevine »

Glad people are enjoying the puzzle! Being new to this forum, I'm really curious: Where does "off the couch" come from?
boharr

Post by boharr »

adamsimonlevine wrote: โ†‘Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:22 pm Glad people are enjoying the puzzle! Being new to this forum, I'm really curious: Where does "off the couch" come from?
I think it dates back to this post from one of Al Sisti's puzzles, Left Right Right Left??:

Quote #11 Post by Abide ยป Mon May 25, 2020 3:29 pm
I'm off the couch! (MMM version of "on shore") :lol:

There were other mentions in those comments. If I'm wrong, someone will correct me.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

adamsimonlevine wrote: โ†‘Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:22 pm Glad people are enjoying the puzzle! Being new to this forum, I'm really curious: Where does "off the couch" come from?
It evolved here and is akin to being "lost at sea"/"still on the boat" (still working the puzzle) and "ashore"/"on the beach" (solved the meta) in the WSJCC forums.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

The dude Abides.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

I'm still firmly a couch potato. Nothing is jumping out at me, absolutely nothing. Ah well. Looking forward to nudgeday Wednesday.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Off the couch! I had step one pretty quickly, but needed a while (and my wife's eyes on the puzzle) for step two to kick in
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I just discovered this puzzle thanks to tonight's Zoom gathering. I have an answer but don't know where or how to submit it.
Jay
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bird Lives wrote: โ†‘Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:08 pm I just discovered this puzzle thanks to tonight's Zoom gathering. I have an answer but don't know where or how to submit it.
Just PM the author. He will respond.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bird Lives wrote: โ†‘Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:08 pm I just discovered this puzzle thanks to tonight's Zoom gathering. I have an answer but don't know where or how to submit it.
Hey, did you see Pete Muller quoted you in his writeup for July's MMMM?
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Al Sisti wrote: โ†‘Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:22 pm
Hey, did you see Pete Muller quoted you in his writeup for July's MMMM?
Yes, I saw that. I often strike out on the MMMM since I haven't listened to much rock/pop in a long long time. But this one was in my wheelhouse.
Jay
adamsimonlevine

Post by adamsimonlevine »

Lots of correct answers rolling in, which is exciting to see! (I think some people have managed to backsolve it without actually figuring out the intended mechanism, but so it goes.)

Here's your nudge, written in Rot13. The three hints go from easier to harder.

1. Gur svir gurzr ragevrf nyy ersre gb n pregnva frevrf bs hasbeghangr riragf, juvpu fubhyq or snzvyvne gb znal crbcyr sebz yvgrengher, zbivrf, be n pregnva naahny npgvivgl.

2. Gnxr gur gvgyr frevbhfyl: Vg'f abg whfg hasbeghangr riragf, ohg n FREVRF bs hasbeghangr riragf.

3. Vgrzf va n frevrf unir ahzoref nffbpvngrq gb gurz. Fb qb fbzr fdhnerf va pebffjbeqf.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Thanks to a hint from another Muggle I am off the couch. Thanks!
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

I am off the couch having managed to guess the answer from step 1. I tried lots of mechanisms to back solve step 2, but needed a little nudge. I should have seen step 2--very SHENKian.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

adamsimonlevine wrote: โ†‘Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:46 am Here's your nudge, written in Rot13. The three hints go from easier to harder.
1. Gur svir gurzr ragevrf nyy ersre gb n pregnva frevrf bs hasbeghangr riragf, juvpu fubhyq or snzvyvne gb znal crbcyr sebz yvgrengher, zbivrf, be n pregnva naahny npgvivgl.

2. Gnxr gur gvgyr frevbhfyl: Vg'f abg whfg hasbeghangr riragf, ohg n FREVRF bs hasbeghangr riragf.

3. Vgrzf va n frevrf unir ahzoref nffbpvngrq gb gurz. Fb qb fbzr fdhnerf va pebffjbeqf.
This forum is getting even nerdier. Ciphers?
Not that thereโ€™s anything wrong with that. :lol:
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

SusieG wrote: โ†‘Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:19 pm
adamsimonlevine wrote: โ†‘Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:46 am Here's your nudge, written in Rot13. The three hints go from easier to harder.

This forum is getting even nerdier. Ciphers?
Not that thereโ€™s anything wrong with that. :lol:
I made up a cipher (well, it went beyond that, with lots of word symbols and symbols for verb tenses and sound combinations) when I was in 7th grade. I have a collection of journals written in that code from 7th grade to grad school, and I still use the code for Christmas lists and other secret things. Thankfully, when I die, I'm sure nobody will be interested in cracking it to read my deepest secrets :D
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

FrankieHeck wrote: โ†‘Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:26 pm I made up a cipher (well, it went beyond that, with lots of word symbols and symbols for verb tenses and sound combinations) when I was in 7th grade. I have a collection of journals written in that code from 7th grade to grad school, and I still use the code for Christmas lists and other secret things. Thankfully, when I die, I'm sure nobody will be interested in cracking it to read my deepest secrets :D
Since 7th grade? That's commitment. I'm impressed!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

SusieG wrote: โ†‘Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:50 pm
FrankieHeck wrote: โ†‘Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:26 pm I made up a cipher (well, it went beyond that, with lots of word symbols and symbols for verb tenses and sound combinations) when I was in 7th grade. I have a collection of journals written in that code from 7th grade to grad school, and I still use the code for Christmas lists and other secret things. Thankfully, when I die, I'm sure nobody will be interested in cracking it to read my deepest secrets :D
Since 7th grade? That's commitment. I'm impressed!

Well I stopped writing in the journals back in the 90s. I recently read the ones from my teen years. My gosh, I was a whiny, miserable, moody, wretched, self-centered person I was! Not a fun read.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

FrankieHeck wrote: โ†‘Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:56 pm
Well I stopped writing in the journals back in the 90s. I recently read the ones from my teen years. My gosh, I was a whiny, miserable, moody, wretched, self-centered person I was! Not a fun read.
I guess itโ€™s a good thing no one else can read it! Wish I could say the same for some of mine.
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

That was fun! Thanks, Adam! And thanks Brian for the suggestion to do a non-WSJ meta, my first!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

FrankieHeck wrote: โ†‘Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:26 pm
I made up a cipher (well, it went beyond that, with lots of word symbols and symbols for verb tenses and sound combinations) when I was in 7th grade. I have a collection of journals written in that code from 7th grade to grad school, and I still use the code for Christmas lists and other secret things. Thankfully, when I die, I'm sure nobody will be interested in cracking it to read my deepest secrets :D
There's a podcast where adults, before a live and usually lively audience, read aloud the journals they wrote as teenagers. It's called "Mortified."

https://getmortified.com/podcast/
Jay