"Borne on the Fourth of July"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Abide

Post by Abide »

I missed the CEE, but did wonder why there was a THE crossing another THE. That could have been fixed with APSE for ACTI, and "Third of September".
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Wished I'd tried this one, very nicely done.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Abide wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:32 pm I missed the CEE, but did wonder why there was a THE crossing another THE. That could have been fixed with APSE for ACTI, and "Third of September".
Excellent suggestion, as always. I actually had the whole thing done but decided at the last second to put in the Easter egg nudge, and swapping out that middle word forced me to change some stuff. It did leave me with some wince-worthy entries, and as you say, I should have caught/fixed the THE problem. Thanks!
Abide

Post by Abide »

Just an observation on my part. Not being critical. You really created a nice piece of art here!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Very clever, Al! This is the first one of yours I've tried and I enjoyed it immensely. 31D and 37D cracked me up. The hint was kind of you.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:35 am Very clever, Al! This is the first one of yours I've tried and I enjoyed it immensely. 31D and 37D cracked me up. The hint was kind of you.
Thanks...uh, wait, is this one the first one of mine you've tried or the first one of mine you've enjoyed immensely? JK. Thanks very much.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

I have a stack of old unfinished meta puzzle printouts lying around; this one happened to be on the top and I glanced at the title and it immediately clicked. I had (apparently -- I can't remember exactly what I was thinking 6 weeks ago) picked up on the "Fourth of July" aspect, because I had circled every Y in the puzzle, but I was distracted by the fact that 5 of the 8 spelled YE vertically. Some "hear ye, hear ye" idea, I suppose. Anyway, the word "borne" clicked and I'm ready for the cookout!

TL;DR -- sometimes it takes 6 weeks of not thinking about a puzzle to see the mechanism.

Edit to add: I did have the clue to 36A (Third of December) underlined, and I remember in the intervening weeks, someone commented on another puzzle with a clue like "Third of October" saying something like "This was an Al style clue!" So that may have subconsciously triggered my aha moment today.