"No Oxford Man"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Al Sisti

"No Oxford Man"

Post by Al Sisti »

Good morning Muggles, and welcome to Muggle Meta Monday! Today’s puzzle is called “No Oxford Man,” probably somewhere between a Week 2/Week 3 rating. Please PM me your solution by 4 PM on Sunday, and this week, I’m going to try to give at least one or two snapshots of a leaderboard during the week. Feel free to PM me for nudges, but try to stick with it for a couple days first. You may be surprised when something you thought was nothing turns out to be something.

No Oxford Man.pdf

No Oxfod Man.puz

The meta answer is my 6-letter response to "Use It or Lose It."
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
damefox

Post by damefox »

Well, as my last name is Oxford, clearly I have to give this one a shot. (It's true I'm no Oxford man though.)
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I believe I have it. Though one thing gives me pause. I'll PM Al to confirm (or deny). In any case, it has been fun to get where I am (right or not quite). Cool puzzle!
ChrisKochmanski

Al confirmed I’m correct. So if you get to a place where you think you have it, but one little thing is slightly bothering you, chances are you’re there. Fun!
ChrisKochmanski

Now, sitting here, in post-meta pride, it’s occurring to me that there’s already a distinctive Sistian (Sisti-esque?) meta puzzle style emerging. Also a Brian Mackian style. Nice work, gentlemen!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:31 pm Now, sitting here, in post-meta pride, it’s occurring to me that there’s already a distinctive Sistian (Sisti-esque?) meta puzzle style emerging. Also a Brian Mackian style. Nice work, gentlemen!
Looking back... and ahead... it is starting to fall out that way. And thanks so much for the kind words.
ChrisKochmanski

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:00 pm Al confirmed I’m correct. So if you get to a place where you think you have it, but one little thing is slightly bothering you, chances are you’re there. Fun!
Responding to myself ... PM-ing with Al, I see now what I was missing, and why this was making me slightly unsure of my answer. This was due to my own fuzziness. If you stick with the puzzle and work it through, you shouldn't need to encounter my uncertainty. It can be a 100%-er.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I’m close. I think.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

I really love how this is (Muggle Mondays) is a new feature section! Thanks to Al and the other setters for their work.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Dplass wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:54 am I really love how this is (Muggle Mondays) is a new feature section! Thanks to Al and the other setters for their work.
Thanks to Dplass for pointing out that my Excel worksheet was flawed! It has been corrected. The same link will give the corrected worksheet, now.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I've solved two metas today in record time! This is not one of them....
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

FrankieHeck wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:13 pm I've solved two metas today in record time! This is not one of them....
LOL
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

So when someone solves a meta -- no matter how tough, or how many people solve it -- credit goes to the solver. When no-one solves it, blame goes to the constructor. Sounds like I owe people a nudge or too. "It's not you, it's me." You can PM me, or wait until "Nudge Wednesday."
Hector

Post by Hector »

Well I think I have it and have PMed Al with my guess, but I can't really claim 100%.

Edit: I did get the answer, but was a bit off on the path to it.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Well, I had a bunch of nudges, but finally got it!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Meg wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:08 pm Well, I had a bunch of nudges, but finally got it!
Step 1: You have to think like me.
Step 2: If you ever find yourself thinking like me, seek professional help!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Finally!
ChrisKochmanski

Al, I think you're being too tough on yourself. We're big people; we can take a challenging puzzle from time to time.

Early on, I was frustrated with this one, getting nowhere, but then I noticed something ... and another ... and the puzzle became mucho fun for me from that point on. (It did help, though, to have someone steer me away from a rabbit hole I was in. As in: "Don't waste time there.")
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:30 pm Al, I think you're being too tough on yourself. We're big people; we can take a challenging puzzle from time to time.

Early on, I was frustrated with this one, getting nowhere, but then I noticed something ... and another ... and the puzzle became mucho fun for me from that point on. (It did help, though, to have someone steer me away from a rabbit hole I was in. As in: "Don't waste time there.")
Thanks... what we are finding out is that there is a fine balance somewhere between spoon-feeding a solution path and having people read our minds. Sometimes it's a weirdly-worded clue, or multiple references to a common theme in the clues, sometimes it's use of one of the "special" grid sections (center, SE entry), or wording of the title (again, we don't want people getting the answer just by looking at the title), and so on. And look at me -- giving advice on tricks/considerations when writing a meta, when I'm basically a toddler in the field. If I do continue doing these, I can envision looking back at my words someday and cringing at the hubris.