"No Oxford Man"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Just came across the MMM - excellent. Chased a few threads but didn't get to spend much time on the meta. Probably would not have reached the promise land on this one - after reviewing the solution. Like the idea of the coded nudges! Keep up the good work. Looking forward to the next one.

Cheers!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I never did get this one. Had 5 themers, but one of them was wrong.

I had Not-so-quiet, Wyatt as ADLIB

And I was missing Boston, Cream and Royal, Navy.

But it was fun finding what I did.

It does not surprise me a bit that calibrating difficulty is a challenge for new constructors. We’ve certainly seen times when the pros have misjudged. Hope that doesn’t discourage anyone from creating metas and even posting a guess at the difficulty.

Finally, if we’re going to nit pick the clues, in 1D “wasn’t” should be “weren’t” because it’s subjunctive. 🙂
markhr

Post by markhr »

The only issue I had was that the comma-related "hints" seemed to suggest we had to find extraneous commas and take them out. The fact that we had to actually add commas was not quite intuitive. But once I got the first step, the rest was fun to work out. Very nice puzzle. I look forward to Al's next effort.

Also, I have to admit I kind of liked Jonny Quest way back then. It would probably seem hopelessly hokey today.