Menu of Flavors

Puzzles created by members of Xword-Muggles.com. Here you can post links to puzzles of any kind that you created - crosswords (meta or non-meta), cryptic, variety, word search, number puzzles, riddles, brainteasers and anything else.
damefox

Menu of Flavors

Post by damefox »

No, this is not about food. It's about physics. Don't worry: you don't need to know any physics to complete the puzzle (but you might learn some!).

This is one of the first crosswords I ever wrote; I did some tweaking just now to remove some of the egregiously awkward entries, but there are still a couple weird words in there, so I apologize. Hope you enjoy it nevertheless! "Menu of Flavors" is a reference to the physics conference I made this for; I considered retitling it "A Very Particular Puzzle" before posting it here but decided to keep the homage. No meta (alas), just some physics knowledge. :)

Menu_of_Flavors.puz
Menu_of_Flavors.pdf
Menu_of_Flavors_SOLUTION.pdf
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

all colors found, very pretty
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Another very nice and clean puzzle, damefox! And I did learn a lot about 1-Acrosses. Loved the clue for 24-Across.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

1As are key to this ... and to lots of things.

Grid complete - very nice and tidy. No problems with any of the clues.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Great puzzle! It brought back fun memories of high school physics.

Favorite non-theme clues and entries:
- 25A: Haven’t seen that word in a while so enjoyed having to think it up.
- 13D: I forgot that episode!
- 33D: Really great fill. Not sure I’ve ever seen this one in a crossword - or if so almost never. Love longer words that rarely show up.
- 56D: Just because - great movie.

Thanks for sharing the puzzle!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Nice job... it was fun and I learned something! Who can ask for more in a puzzle?
Meg

Post by Meg »

Nice! Thanks.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Fun! Thanks, Damefox!

I just sent the puzzle to my college roommate, from too many years ago. He's a physics professor at Louisiana State University. Name of Jim Matthews. Know him? Let's see if he recognizes your name from the puzzle's header.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Very nicely done, great fill and clues! I like that you put the theme entry at 1A instead of the middle or end where it usually seems to be.
damefox

Post by damefox »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:47 pm Fun! Thanks, Damefox!

I just sent the puzzle to my college roommate, from too many years ago. He's a physics professor at Louisiana State University. Name of Jim Matthews. Know him? Let's see if he recognizes your name from the puzzle's header.
Hope he enjoys it! I do not know him, and being but a humble grad student myself, I am fairly sure he does not know me. But physics is a small world, so we probably at least know some of the same people.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Laura M wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:40 pm Very nicely done, great fill and clues! I like that you put the theme entry at 1A instead of the middle or end where it usually seems to be.
Thanks! Yeah, I thought it fit better there. I considered putting it at 65A, but since I was originally writing this for people at a physics conference (not necessarily crossword people), I thought revealing the theme early was probably a better idea so that they would see the connection. Also if it was at 65A I would've needed a 6-letter word that went __D__Q (or __O__Q if I switched the theme entries) - sorry, minor spoilers if you haven't done the puzzle yet - and that didn't seem like a recipe for success (no pun intended).
boharr

Post by boharr »

I very much enjoyed this excellent puzzle. Thank you. Hope you do more.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Nicely spun! Glad the old BS degree came in handy - though it was, in fact, not required. I can see how the target audience would have enjoyed it.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!