Episode #238 Contest: "Six Pack"

Meta crosswords from Lollapuzzoola creator and host Brian Cimmet, offered from time to time through the Fill Me In podcast, which is hosted by Mr. Cimmet and Ryan Hecht. More information available here: https://bemoresmarter.com/
bcimmet

Episode #238 Contest: "Six Pack"

Post by bcimmet »

Hello, solvers! There's a new contest crossword on Fill Me In. I think this one is rather average in difficulty, so I'll rate it 2.6 bananas on a scale of 5 bananas. (Bananas has nothing to do with the puzzle, it's just a 1-to-5 scale we made up.)

The puzzle is called "Six Pack." The solution to the puzzle is a 6-letter word.

The crossword can be downloaded from here. You're welcome to solve, you're even welcome to join in the chatter about the puzzle -- but if you want to be eligible for a prize, you have to listen to the podcast for this week's password. The podcast can be found here (via Apple Podcasts), or just search for it wherever you enjoy podcasts.

Thanks for joining us on this relatively new adventure of contest crosswords. Feel free to contact me at brian@bemoresmarter.com if you have any suggestions, questions, comments, or ideas.
--
Fill Me In, a crossword podcast
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram
damefox

Post by damefox »

Solved! Maybe 1.5 bananas in difficulty. Thanks for doing these, Brian!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Fun one... yes, please keep it up!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Well that took me a while! I think this was the first time the correct strategy came to me while I was in bed for the night, mentally reviewing the puzzle. I had to run downstairs to make sure I had the right path. Nice.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Got it. Guilty of overcomplicating. I kept trying an approach similar to one of Brian’s previous puzzles - should have known he wouldn’t go back to the well that quickly! A fun solve.

Figuring out how to spell the password was another challenge!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

LesY wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:57 am Got it. Guilty of overcomplicating. I kept trying an approach similar to one of Brian’s previous puzzles - should have known he wouldn’t go back to the well that quickly! A fun solve.

Figuring out how to spell the password was another challenge!
Seriously! Just two seconds ago I was about to pm someone to ask about the spelling, when I decided to switch from google to bing and it came up right away!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

My kid figured it out--I was overcomplicating as usual :-)
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Just gave it the fifth 👀 and finally figured it out.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Solution came quickly, but fun.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Took me a while but I finally saw the light. I was glad to solve a META that was not one of the ones I usually do (or rather try to do) because I was afraid that I was only able to do those I was used to. Thanks for a fun puzzle - Oh, and I like the self-critique in the clues, made me chuckle.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

The solution to the Contest of Episode 238 was SCOUTS.

There were six entries in the grid that were two-word phrases, the first half of which could also be the first half of a two-word phrase ending in PACK. (Example: JAM SESSION -> JAM PACK.) The six original second words had initial letters that spelled SCOUTS, which are also a group that operates in packs.

Thanks for playing ... and check out the new post for the Contest of Episode 240!
--
Fill Me In, a crossword podcast
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

That's very clever! Sadly, I never did figure it out.

I was stuck on the six seven letter entries, specifically their endings: ON and OFF (switch positions?) TOY and CARD (things you play with?) and AED and UPS (devices for emergencies?). For obvious reasons, I never got anywhere further with that.