Episode #232 Contest: "It's Nearly Time"

Meta crosswords from Lollapuzzoola creator and host Brian Cimmet, offered from time to time through the Fill Me In podcast, which is hosted by Mr. Cimmet and Ryan Hecht. More information available here: https://bemoresmarter.com/
bcimmet

Episode #232 Contest: "It's Nearly Time"

Post by bcimmet »

Hello, solvers! The latest episode of my podcast, Fill Me In, features another contest crossword. I think this one is pretty easy. I'll rate it 1.5 bananas on a scale of 5 bananas. Yes, I just invented the banana scale for our difficulty level. That's brand new, right here, right now.

The crossword can be downloaded from here. You're welcome to solve, you're even welcome to join in the chatter about the puzzle -- but if you want to be eligible for a prize, you have to listen to the podcast for this week's password. The podcast can be found here (via Apple Podcasts), or just search for it wherever you enjoy podcasts.

Thanks for joining us on this relatively new adventure of contest crosswords. And thanks to all who have offered advice and suggestions, all of which are most welcome.
--
Fill Me In, a crossword podcast
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Yay! I finally got one of these!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Nice! I'll go along with the 1.5 banana rating. The grid was again quite entertaining.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Well-constructed meta. Keep them coming!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

I cannot download this on my phone or my iPad from the link above. Any suggestions
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Cindy wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:57 am I cannot download this on my phone or my iPad from the link above. Any suggestions
I had to get the Puzzazz app.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Yay! I got it. I listened to the podcast so I have the password. Now I have the meta answer, but the email link won’t open. How are you supposed to submit your answer?
LesY

Post by LesY »

Fun one - and a format that I think used to happen more frequently, but I don't believe I've seen it for a while. Or I don't do enough metas (yeah right).
In any event, IMO it made the aha better than a 1.5 typically would be.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Beth Tyrpin wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:16 pm
Cindy wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:57 am I cannot download this on my phone or my iPad from the link above. Any suggestions
I had to get the Puzzazz app.
Ok I had that already and that worked. But then I cannot print it to do the meta.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

I couldn’t print it this week either. I did it on my iPad then printed out a screen shot.
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

The file is a PUZ file, which is readable by Across Lite. Across Lite is available for iOS and for desktop/laptop computers. There shouldn't be an issue with printing ...
--
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

Beth Tyrpin wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:19 pm Yay! I got it. I listened to the podcast so I have the password. Now I have the meta answer, but the email link won’t open. How are you supposed to submit your answer?
I'm not sure what email link you're talking about. Could you let me know what it is that's not working?

In the meantime, just send an email to us at fmi@bemoresmarter.com. Include the password and your answer.
--
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

bcimmet wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:52 am The file is a PUZ file, which is readable by Across Lite. Across Lite is available for iOS and for desktop/laptop computers. There shouldn't be an issue with printing ...
Or ... did we do something wrong? Maybe the file isn't printable for some reason?
--
LesY

Post by LesY »

I was able to print the puzzle using AcrossLite on a desktop, but it sounds like some may be having issues with accessing the puzzle in the first place (on mobile devices) - maybe try AcrossLite?
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

bcimmet wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:53 am
Beth Tyrpin wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:19 pm Yay! I got it. I listened to the podcast so I have the password. Now I have the meta answer, but the email link won’t open. How are you supposed to submit your answer?
I'm not sure what email link you're talking about. Could you let me know what it is that's not working?

In the meantime, just send an email to us at fmi@bemoresmarter.com. Include the password and your answer.
Episode notes. Helpful links. Contact us: email/Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/google voice.

Email and google voice are black. Facebook/Twitter/Instagram are in purple.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

bcimmet wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:53 am
bcimmet wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:52 am The file is a PUZ file, which is readable by Across Lite. Across Lite is available for iOS and for desktop/laptop computers. There shouldn't be an issue with printing ...
Or ... did we do something wrong? Maybe the file isn't printable for some reason?
Across Lite does work on iPad, but isn’t available on iPhone.
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

Beth Tyrpin wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:51 am Episode notes. Helpful links. Contact us: email/Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/google voice.

Email and google voice are black. Facebook/Twitter/Instagram are in purple.
Thank you for this feedback. It seems that in some podcast apps and some web apps, the links work fine -- and in others, not so much. We hadn't checked those in a while, but I just went in and adjusted that stuff. Now, at least the email address and the phone number are part of the text, so even if the links don't work (which is frustrating), the information is there.

Thank you again for your help!
--
damefox

Post by damefox »

Anyone want to give me a hint on this one? I won't submit the answer - I just want practice solving these puzzles. Can't get a handle on this particular style (although I really liked the solution to #230 when I heard it).
damefox

Post by damefox »

Got it! Thanks, BarbaraK and anjhinz!
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

Thank you to all who solved our contest puzzle from Episode #232. The answer to the puzzle was SUNDIAL.

The title of the puzzle, "It's Nearly Time" was a hint for extracting the solution. There were seven entries in the grid that had LY in them. The letters prior to each LY, when read top-to-bottom, spelled out SUNDIAL (which is a "time" piece).

I started a new thread for the current contest, which was presented in Episode #234. The crossword can be downloaded from here. You're welcome to solve, you're even welcome to join in the chatter about the puzzle -- but if you want to be eligible for a prize, you have to listen to the podcast for this week's password. The podcast can be found here (via Apple Podcasts), or just search for it wherever you enjoy podcasts.

And feel free to contact me at brian@bemoresmarter.com if you have any suggestions, questions, comments, or ideas.
--