Episode #230 Contest: "Get Lucky"

Meta crosswords from Lollapuzzoola creator and host Brian Cimmet, offered from time to time through the Fill Me In podcast, which is hosted by Mr. Cimmet and Ryan Hecht. More information available here: https://bemoresmarter.com/
bcimmet

Episode #230 Contest: "Get Lucky"

Post by bcimmet »

Hello, solvers!

Thanks to those who solved our contest puzzle from Episode #228. We really enjoyed the experience of doing our first contest crossword in a very long time -- so much so, that we did another one!

Episode #230 has another crossword contest in it. You're more than welcome to solve the puzzle (which is available at http://bit.ly/fmi230con), but you can't submit your answer for prize consideration unless you're a listener. So for those who like podcasts (ours is maybe 50% crosswords, 25% other puzzles, 25% us being dorks ... well, 100% us being dorks, I guess), please have a listen at https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/f ... 1364379980. Otherwise, feel free to enjoy the puzzle.

You can also stay in touch with us at Fill Me In through email (fmi@bemoresmarter.com) or social media (@FillMeInPodcast on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram).

Thanks!

PS. Is it appropriate to spoil the last puzzle by sharing the answer to it here? Now that the previous contest is over, I mean ... is there a waiting period or anything?
--
Fill Me In, a crossword podcast
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram
Hector

Post by Hector »

It'd be super welcome for you to share solutions (after submission deadlines) & so on, as well as to continue to announce new puzzles, with us in this forum! How great that the meta world is expanding.
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

The Episode #228 Contest of Then - Solution

For those that don't listen to the podcast, but worked on the crossword, here's the way the meta works.

First, hinted in the grid are two symmetrical entries BRADY/BUNCH.

Second, also symmetrically placed, are five entries that are clued as normal words, but also are last names of celebrities: NORMAN, GRAVES, BROWN, CROSS, and HOOKS.

The celebrities in question are GREG Norman, PETER Graves, BOBBY Brown, MARCIA Cross, and JAN Hooks ... which means the one missing Brady child is CINDY BRADY, who is the answer to the puzzle.
--
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram
LesY

Post by LesY »

Thanks Brian (and Hector)! I don’t know how often FMI plans to publish metas, but I hope it becomes a trend. The first two were great! And at a minimum many of us have a new podcast to listen to.

For anyone who hasn’t taken this one on yet, consider it. Great substitute for not having a PGWCC this week.
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

Glad to hear you like the puzzles -- we'll do what we can to keep it up!

And if anyone out there is constructing puzzles like this, and want to offer one to us to use as a contest, please get in touch: [fmi at bemoresmarter dot com]
--
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I did the grid yesterday. Had a tough time in that lower right corner, but I did get through it and enjoyed the puzzle. Didn't see anything useful meta-related though.

So today, I took another look and saw something and got a solid click. Based on Hector's comment about getting it but possibly missing part of the mechanism, I kept looking and saw something else to confirm. Then, as I was writing my email, I noticed one more thing. Nice!!!

I'm also looking forward to many more of these.
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

Brian, thanks for the puzzles, they are great so far! I have one (hopefully small) request... Is it possible to include the meta prompt in the copyright text of the .puz file (after the 2020)? For those of us who print them out, it's the only way to get to show up on the printed page. Thanks!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I'm still not seeing this one. On the plus side, it's always nice to have a puzzle to pull out and get back to. Hoping for post enlightenment.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

FrankieHeck wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:10 pm I'm still not seeing this one. On the plus side, it's always nice to have a puzzle to pull out and get back to. Hoping for post enlightenment.
This is one of those sneaky rabbits that will hide if it realizes you're looking for it. Taking a peek from time to time is a good approach.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Sent my answer in today. Makes sense to me, but is it correct? Time will tell...
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I wanted to say that although I haven't gotten lucky in figuring out the meta, the grid was quite enjoyable. The lower right was especially entertaining.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Hey, I'm famous! When I sent in my answer, I included the parts of the mechanism that I'd seen, but I admitted I still didn't get the connection to "Contest of Now". So on today's show, they read my question and explained that that's just their name for any current contest as opposed to older ones, not specific to this particular puzzle. Yep, I'm a podcast newbie, still learning the lingo.

Anyone who hasn't solved it yet, you've still got another week. The deadline is next Monday, the 25th.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

bcimmet wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:59 pm Hello, solvers!

Thanks to those who solved our contest puzzle from Episode #228. We really enjoyed the experience of doing our first contest crossword in a very long time -- so much so, that we did another one!

Episode #230 has another crossword contest in it. You're more than welcome to solve the puzzle (which is available at http://bit.ly/fmi230con), but you can't submit your answer for prize consideration unless you're a listener. So for those who like podcasts (ours is maybe 50% crosswords, 25% other puzzles, 25% us being dorks ... well, 100% us being dorks, I guess), please have a listen at https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/f ... 1364379980. Otherwise, feel free to enjoy the puzzle.

You can also stay in touch with us at Fill Me In through email (fmi@bemoresmarter.com) or social media (@FillMeInPodcast on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram).

Thanks!

PS. Is it appropriate to spoil the last puzzle by sharing the answer to it here? Now that the previous contest is over, I mean ... is there a waiting period or anything?
I had a thought about something you could do for a prize - have the winner's name be used in a future puzzle.

Not being a constructor, I really have no idea whether this would be easy or super difficult. I assume there'd have to be some length limit, so nickname or initials if it's too long, and flexibility about exactly when it would appear in case it just doesn't work with the very next theme.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Ok, I'm listening to the podcast now, and LesY, are you the winner?? If that is you, congratulations!!! I thought of lucky number 7 but just didn't get to the answer. My first thought was Lucky Charms, and then I saw MOON, and a reference to cereal boxes...sadly, there was nothing more. Broke out my periodic table placemat and stared at this puzzle for days, but just didn't see it.

I still am not a podcast person, but this one did give me the most relatable thing I've heard in a long time: "I'm going to try getting good at something."
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

Thank you to all who solved our contest puzzle from Episode #230. The answer to the puzzle was NITROGEN. The 7th letter of every entry that was 7+ letters long was N, and nitrogen is the 7th element on the periodic table. (Also, as a bonus, none of the clues had the letter N in them.)

Congratulations to Leslie Yonce, the winner!

I'll start a new thread regarding our next contest ... come play along!
--
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Impressive that there are no N’s in the clues. I’m glad I didn’t spend too much time on this one though. Maybe if the N’s fell at number seven from both directions. Honestly I don’t think I would have gotten it if the title had been Lucky Number Seven.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:07 pm I had a thought about something you could do for a prize - have the winner's name be used in a future puzzle.

Not being a constructor, I really have no idea whether this would be easy or super difficult. I assume there'd have to be some length limit, so nickname or initials if it's too long, and flexibility about exactly when it would appear in case it just doesn't work with the very next theme.
Of course if there were a winner named Nan or Kenny, you couldn't very well have put that into this puzzle. (Realized that right after I posted.)
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

Beth Tyrpin wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:07 am Impressive that there are no N’s in the clues. I’m glad I didn’t spend too much time on this one though. Maybe if the N’s fell at number seven from both directions. Honestly I don’t think I would have gotten it if the title had been Lucky Number Seven.
Ns in the 7-spot in both directions ... that makes great sense, and would have definitely been a more elegant construction.
--
LesY

Post by LesY »

bcimmet wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:35 am Thank you to all who solved our contest puzzle from Episode #230. The answer to the puzzle was NITROGEN. The 7th letter of every entry that was 7+ letters long was N, and nitrogen is the 7th element on the periodic table. (Also, as a bonus, none of the clues had the letter N in them.)

Congratulations to Leslie Yonce, the winner!

I'll start a new thread regarding our next contest ... come play along!
Thanks Brian! Excited to win.

Great puzzles - please keep them coming!