Episode #228 Contest: "Here's the Story..."

Meta crosswords from Lollapuzzoola creator and host Brian Cimmet, offered from time to time through the Fill Me In podcast, which is hosted by Mr. Cimmet and Ryan Hecht. More information available here: https://bemoresmarter.com/
GlennG

Episode #228 Contest: "Here's the Story..."

Post by GlennG »

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/f ... 0463881960

This is a regular podcast where the Lollapuzzoola contest guys talk about different things. They (specifically Brian Cimmet) tossed out a meta puzzle you can download off that particular link if you want something to play with.
Hector

Post by Hector »

lol at 2D.

Sent in an answer. We'll see if it's correct.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Note that you have to listen to the podcast to find out where to submit and the secret code that you have to send with your answer. The discussion of metas starts about halfway through.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

I can’t get the download to open. Any suggestions?
Hector

Post by Hector »

FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I guess I'm just not a podcast person, because I had a *really* hard time paying attention to this. Nice shout-out to Peter's puzzle site, though! Still working on the puzzle.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Looks like you can only do this meta online in the .puz way, right?

Guess I'll need to finally break down and load up the app.

What is the app called? The app finder opened, and there were many dozens of options, probably few of which apply.
Hector

Post by Hector »

puz files are opened not online but downloaded to your device and run in a local app called Across Lite. https://litsoft.com/

There are probably other apps that can open .puz files, but Litsoft developed that storage format.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

What’s the deadline for this one? I did listen to the podcast and got the submission address and password, but I must have missed the deadline.

And a question for solvers - is this one of the absolutely sure, no possible doubt variety? I got two steps in and haven’t found anywhere to go beyond that. Then I realized that what I have does kind of point at an answer. But not sure if I’ve really solved it or I’m just rationalizing.
Hector

Post by Hector »

I didn't see a deadline, or hear one.

My solution was not completely 100% but there was more than one reason to think I wasn't missing anything.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

This might be the meta I fail to get this week.
Last edited by FrankieHeck on Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'm thinking I'll go ahead and submit what I have this evening. If the podcast comes out on Tuesday, they must record it Monday?

Haven't got Aries yet either; that one I know I have til Wednesday, so I've been procrastinating a bit. Solving these metas by unfamiliar constructors makes me realize how much I've gotten used to my regulars. Good for me to broaden my horizons a bit on occasion.
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

Hi there -- this is Brian Cimmet of the Fill Me In podcast. Thanks for sharing news of our show and this puzzle here on the Muggles forum!

This is our first contest crossword, but it might turn into a series, so stay tuned. We should include deadlines in our next episode. Basically, you have until 5pm Monday to submit your answer. We record that evening, and then release the next episode (and the next contest) Tuesday morning.

For this week's puzzle, we're pretty confident that our "correct" answer is the only real answer.

Check out the podcast here: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/f ... 1364379980.

Download the contest PUZ file here: https://tinyurl.com/fmi228con. And submit your answer (and the password, found during the podcast episode) to fmi@bemoresmarter.com

And if you like social media, we're on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram at @FillMeInPodcast.

Thanks!
--
Fill Me In, a crossword podcast
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Nice puzzle, and thanks to GlennG for posting the link. I think I got the meta, but I'm not going to submit because I haven't listened to the podcast... All respect to the podcasters, but like FrankieHeck I'm just not a podcast person. Let me know if you write a book!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

FYI I actually listened again today, and they are extending the deadline to 5 pm Monday February 10.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Is there a meta prompt? I submitted an answer already, but am curious if I missed something.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

LesY wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:22 pm Is there a meta prompt? I submitted an answer already, but am curious if I missed something.
The title is "Here's the Story," and the answer is a fictional character.
LesY

Post by LesY »

FrankieHeck wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:30 pm
LesY wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:22 pm Is there a meta prompt? I submitted an answer already, but am curious if I missed something.
The title is "Here's the Story," and the answer is a fictional character.
Thanks! I missed the “fictional character” prompt, but my answer did fit.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I didn't end up submitting this one. I suspected what I was looking for. Even dug out PGW's Brady Bunch puzzle to inspire me. But other than Bobby Brown, I wasn't seeing the last names, and didn't bother to Google any others because I didn't know there was a lanyard at stake :-D

My lack of celebrity knowledge often causes me trouble. And yes, I actually listened to (some of the) podcast again. There's another meta puzzle that is maybe a Week 4 difficulty, if the Brady one was a Week 1.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Answer was CINDY BRADY, because there was no famous Cindy's surname in the grid, whereas other Brady kids' names had famous folks symmetrically placed. This and the new meta is explained at around 1hr+ in the current episode :).