Episode #228 Contest: "Here's the Story..."

Meta crosswords from Lollapuzzoola creator and host Brian Cimmet, offered from time to time through the Fill Me In podcast, which is hosted by Mr. Cimmet and Ryan Hecht. More information available here: https://bemoresmarter.com/
Hector

Post by Hector »

Should we keep FMI metas on this thread, or what?

I've sent in an answer for this week, which I am 95+% sure of, though, a bit like last time, it doesn't really have that unmistakable snap.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I had the right answer, but I wasn't totally confident because I'm also weak on celebrity names. So I recognized a couple and googled the rest thanks to the lovely symmetry. But I would not have been surprised if there were more that I missed. There's a Mike Hale who writes for the New York Times, but when I couldn't find any Brady-name Scot, I decided he wasn't famous enough and the five were all.

Then I spent a while trying to do something with the actors names, their positions in the opening credits checkerboard, etc. before realizing that what they had in common was that they were all kids and only Cindy was missing.

Looks like the new contest puzzle is at http://bit.ly/fmi230con
Meg

Post by Meg »

I’ve done the grid for "Get Lucky". No clue about the title or meta. Do I have to listen to the podcast?
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Hector

Post by Hector »

You do to submit an answer (you need the secret password).

But no, you solve the meta normally, with just the title, prompt, clues, and grid.

Brian Cimmet confirmed that my answer is right, but said that I missed part of the mechanism. (Depending on what it is, I'm not really sure if I did miss it or just didn't mention it.)
LesY

Post by LesY »

Just submitted for “Get Lucky.” It was a good one! Week 3.25-3.75 maybe?

In the podcast Brian calls it a week 4 and “Here’s the Story” a week 1. I think he was joking around though.

Confident I saw the full mechanism, but like Hector I didn’t mention it in my submission.
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

I was half joking about the difficulty levels, though I don't totally know what to use as criteria. I thought the previous contest was pretty easy, and that this one was much harder. But you be the judge! I like "3.25-3.75" as a rating. :)
--
Fill Me In, a crossword podcast
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

Also, I made a new post for the current contest (from Episode #230) ... if there's more conversation on that one, maybe we could move to the other thread?
--
Fill Me In, a crossword podcast
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram