Mike Shenk's Escape From Alcatraz

A place for discussion about variety puzzles such as acrostics, marching bands, rows and gardens, and diagramless.
Abide

Mike Shenk's Escape From Alcatraz

Post by Abide »

This is a puzzle suite (circa 2000) from the masterful Mike Shenk, with a meta-style answer at the end. It has been several years since I solved it, and figured it's a good time to print it out again. If someone gets stuck, we should be able to figure out where to go through PMs. If everyone gets stuck, there is a 20-year old email address for Mike!

https://www.mikeshenk.com/extravaganzas/alcatraz/

PDF is in the link
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Looking at the PDF I just downloaded and all I can say is "Whoaaaaaaaaaaa".

Mind=blown.
Meg

Post by Meg »

It’s HUGE!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

I downloaded the first four puzzles and they were great! I think I’ll slow down and savor the rest.

Thank for posting the link.
Jack Sullivan
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

I was going to call it exquisite!
Thanks very much for sharing this, Peter.
Downloaded it all and have started.
Not quite following the rules (tsk-tsk) of doing it all in order but I figure that was mainly for the participants 20 years ago.
I doubt I'll make a complete escape because I'm lousy at cryptics, but maybe this will be the push I need to apply myself and try to be better at them!
Hope you're high enough and dry enough down in MS!
Meg

Post by Meg »

whimsy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:28 pm I was going to call it exquisite!
Thanks very much for sharing this, Peter.
Downloaded it all and have started.
Not quite following the rules (tsk-tsk) of doing it all in order but I figure that was mainly for the participants 20 years ago.
I doubt I'll make a complete escape because I'm lousy at cryptics, but maybe this will be the push I need to apply myself and try to be better at them!
Hope you're high enough and dry enough down in MS!
I’ve done the cryptic and it’s not too tricky. Feel free to PM me if you need a nudge or explanation or confirmation.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Thanks, Meg! Probably will do at some point.
I figured you would be one of the first to jump on!

I've only "cheated" by going ahead to the puzzle with the pictures because I could do that pretty much in my head from just the screen. Couldn't wait to get going --- my version of failing the Marshmallow Test! (Found the link late Wednesday after husband had already gone to bed and didn't think he'd appreciate me revving up the printer!!)
All downloaded now, so I've started with the first few puzzles to varying degrees of success --
Abide

Post by Abide »

I have the answers for the first cellblock if someone needs a PM.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Did anyone get all the way through yet? I did all the puzzles and got all but one of the keys (Mike's genius continues to astound) but since there's no answer-answer, I don't know if my final answer is correct. I know I could contact Mike, but he's been mighty busy these last 20 years...
GlennG

Post by GlennG »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:42 pm (Mike's genius continues to astound)
I'll say that. I ran into one of his old themeless puzzles (think what you see in the NYT Saturday) and I can definitely say most of what he does at the WSJ is definitely far beneath his full ability. Let's just say I was nothing short of amazed.