Candy Canes (WSJ, 12/25/20, Patrick Berry)

A place for discussion about variety puzzles such as acrostics, marching bands, rows and gardens, and diagramless.
Post Reply
User avatar
ChrisKochmanski
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:51 pm

Candy Canes (WSJ, 12/25/20, Patrick Berry)

#1

Post by ChrisKochmanski » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:22 pm

I used to approach a Candy Canes puzzle with a bit of dread -- maybe because they have a spatial aspect, and that's definitely not my spatialty (groan). But this time, once I got a good toehold, the solving proceeded apace. A nice one to relax with, post-Christmas celebrating.

Jace54
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:38 pm
Location: Iowa

#2

Post by Jace54 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:54 pm

I had a little difficulty getting a toehold, but finally found one and was able to complete the puzzle with little resistance. Good fun on Christmas!

User avatar
DrTom
Posts: 1015
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:46 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

#3

Post by DrTom » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:49 pm

ChrisKochmanski wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:22 pm
I used to approach a Candy Canes puzzle with a bit of dread -- maybe because they have a spatial aspect, and that's definitely not my spatialty (groan). But this time, once I got a good toehold, the solving proceeded apace. A nice one to relax with, post-Christmas celebrating.
You know I never tried the Candy Canes because I understand it is easy to get suckered in and then you are hooked, besides I'm afraid I'd stripe out,,,,,triple groan.

Don't blame me, someone alerted me to an unanswered pun and, well, I had to mint a response,

User avatar
Richard B.
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat May 16, 2020 1:58 pm
Location: upper west side, NYC

#4

Post by Richard B. » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:27 am

Candy Canes at Christmas. Well done, PB. Are these actually just once a year? I guess so.

User avatar
Janet
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:22 pm

#5

Post by Janet » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:23 pm

I enjoyed this one, not as hard as those cryptics.

User avatar
Janet
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:22 pm

#6

Post by Janet » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:26 pm

DrTom wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:49 pm
ChrisKochmanski wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:22 pm
I used to approach a Candy Canes puzzle with a bit of dread -- maybe because they have a spatial aspect, and that's definitely not my spatialty (groan). But this time, once I got a good toehold, the solving proceeded apace. A nice one to relax with, post-Christmas celebrating.
You know I never tried the Candy Canes because I understand it is easy to get suckered in and then you are hooked, besides I'm afraid I'd stripe out,,,,,triple groan.

Don't blame me, someone alerted me to an unanswered pun and, well, I had to mint a response,
Sweet comment! At least you're being "candi"ed about your pun addiction. Better than being out there raising Cane.

User avatar
Meg
Posts: 830
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:41 pm
Location: St. Petersburg, FL

#7

Post by Meg » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:52 pm

That was fun! Once you get started, it’s not that hard.

User avatar
hcbirker
Posts: 680
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:24 pm
Location: Studio City, CA

#8

Post by hcbirker » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:53 pm

Love Patrick Berry puzzles. Fun to do something different.
Heidi

User avatar
MajordomoTom
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:09 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

#9

Post by MajordomoTom » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:04 pm

this one was pretty sweet, once I got started on the twists and turns.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.

SewYoung
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:25 pm
Location: Meridian, MS

#10

Post by SewYoung » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:45 pm

Richard B. wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:27 am
Candy Canes at Christmas. Well done, PB. Are these actually just once a year? I guess so.
By my recollection, "Candy Canes" seems to have been the format for the closest Saturday to Christmas for the last several years. I always enjoy these.

User avatar
Dannyvee
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:39 am
Location: Jamaica Plain, MA

#11

Post by Dannyvee » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:42 pm

I guessed wrong on my first two candy canes but things fell into place quickly after that. Like that one.

Schmeel
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:38 pm

#12

Post by Schmeel » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:41 am

I needed google to help with a clue or two.
Once I had enough possible entries solved, the crosses helped to fill the grid (and helped to solve the rest of the clues I didn't know offhand).
Fun puzzle!

User avatar
Wendy Walker
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:44 pm
Location: Unionville, PA

#13

Post by Wendy Walker » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:02 pm

Just like Lisa, I enjoy the Candy Canes puzzle every Christmas. I start out working in pencil and then move to pen once I get the first few canes unwrapped.
Good luck, fellow Muggles! I'm happy to give nudges, but only if you're still stuck on Sunday.

User avatar
MajordomoTom
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:09 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

#14

Post by MajordomoTom » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:05 pm

only ink, that's how I roll.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.

User avatar
whimsy
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:51 am
Location: Hopkinton MA

#15

Post by whimsy » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:48 pm

Capturecandycane.JPG
He put up a fight, but actually I won in the end!

User avatar
ChrisKochmanski
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:51 pm

#16

Post by ChrisKochmanski » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:09 pm

Dannyvee wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:42 pm
I guessed wrong on my first two candy canes but things fell into place quickly after that. Like that one.
Yes, I think what made this one relatively easy for me was that I actually guessed RIGHT a couple of times -- then it flowed.

flyingMoose
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:35 pm

#17

Post by flyingMoose » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:38 pm

Daughter and I did this one when she was in town. Together, we are a tolerable team. Alone, either of us would be at it awhile. Always enjoy giving the Variety puzzle a go.

Post Reply