Split Personalities: Harper's, February 2021

Enter if you dare!
ChrisKochmanski

Split Personalities: Harper's, February 2021

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Another fun Richard E. Maltby, Jr. variety cryptic. Got the magazine in the mail today and did the puzzle this afternoon. Just checking the Harper's website, I don't yet see the puzzle there -- the January puzzle seems to be the last one posted. Either way, you need to be a subscriber.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Still awaiting magazine....might be Tuesday at the earliest for me for either the magazine or website update.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

And the website updated.
Downloaded the puzzle (as I still await the physical magazine)
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

I did this one in one sitting, which is unusual for me. Very enjoyable as always.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Agree...just wrapped it up myself.
Nice night cap this evening.
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

Wrapped this one today, lots of fun as always.. But could someone explain the wordplay on 1 Down to me please? Thanks!
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Fun puzzle as always, but did anyone else notice a mistake/misspelling in one of the down entries? The last time I found a mistake in one of these was the month I won the drawing for the free 1-year Harper’s subscription, so keeping my fingers crossed!
Naptown Kid

Post by Naptown Kid »

I’m thinking you’re right, and that 14D is misspelled as clued. Perhaps Mr. Maltby meant to indicate that the entry was a variant, but didn’t. An oversight? Whatever the case, I wish you good luck with history repeating itself.
Naptown Kid

Post by Naptown Kid »

Going back to last month’s puzzle, Fantasyland — the one with those pesky blank squares. I figured out how to fill the blanks, but it turns out I missed a rather large fantasy land: Heaviside Layer, rising SW to NE on the diagonal. This was the largest hidden entry, and I completely missed it, filling the box in with “z” — completing “Oz,” begun by the “o” above and to the left. I wonder if that occurred to anyone else?
I think I completed Split Personalities correctly.