Fantasyland: Harper’s, January 2021

Enter if you dare!
ChrisKochmanski

Fantasyland: Harper’s, January 2021

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Another fun variety cryptic by Richard E. Maltby, Jr. I’ve completed the grid, EXCEPT for the seven unfilled spaces. So far I have no idea what to do here. REMJ’s instructions suggest something, but I’m not seeing how to make it work. This puzzle may actually be something of a meta; we’ll see. Anyone who gets it, if you’d like to give me a nudge, please do!
Eckless

Post by Eckless »

Chris - same boat here if it makes you feel better. Grid done except for the seven unfilled spaces, no idea what to do next. :)
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

I was stuck at the same place....then saw the light. Perhaps goes without saying (and not spoilerish) - read the instruction paragraph again.
ChrisKochmanski

With a bit of help, I eventually figured out how to fill the unfilled spaces. Fun!
Naptown Kid

Post by Naptown Kid »

Confession: the only reason I subscribe to Harper’s is for Maltby’s cryptic. I admire his wordplay and he’s at his best when he constructs a puzzle like Fantasyland, with a little something extra at the end. It took me a while, but I finally figured out what he was looking for (or what I was looking for.) Even then I needed to do some Googling. Enjoyable.
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

Got the grid today, but at a loss for the unfilled squares... will sit on it for a bit longer but may come crawling back later for a nudge...
ChrisKochmanski

Naptown Kid wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:03 am Confession: the only reason I subscribe to Harper’s is for Maltby’s cryptic.
Me too. I don't think I've read anything in the magazine itself for over 20 years.

Same reason I originally subscribed to The Atlantic Monthly: I loved the monthly "Puzzler" (variety cryptic) by Cox and Rathvon. I'll bet they still get complaints for dropping that feature. I do, though, continue to read The Atlantic, mostly online, glancing each month through the print edition. Their daily mini crossword is a fun race against time.
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

All right, I'm calling Uncle... if anyone wouldn't mind nudging me in the direction of figuring out the empty squares, I'd really appreciate so I can finally get this puzzle off my stack !
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

anjhinz wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:02 pm All right, I'm calling Uncle... if anyone wouldn't mind nudging me in the direction of figuring out the empty squares, I'd really appreciate so I can finally get this puzzle off my stack !
PM Sent.