At Sixes and Sevens

Enter if you dare!
Meg

At Sixes and Sevens

Post by Meg »

I found this in my Twitter feed today. Neville Fogarty is a fairly famous constructor and this small cryptic is certainly challenging! Fortunately, the solution is also available.

https://nevillefogarty.wordpress.com/20 ... nd-sevens/
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Can anyone point a Cryptic beginner to a good place to get started? I've done a couple of the ones in the NYT over the years so I get the basic gist but most of the ones I've seen posted in this forum are out of my league right now. Thanks!
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Dannyvee wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:58 pm Can anyone point a Cryptic beginner to a good place to get started? I've done a couple of the ones in the NYT over the years so I get the basic gist but most of the ones I've seen posted in this forum are out of my league right now. Thanks!
I would start with the Saturday National Post cryptic which is posted here every week. It’s constructed by two of the best, Cox and Rathvon. The grid is standard without the extra challenges seen in this one or elsewhere (e.g., WSJ monthly variety which always has an extra layer of two of challenge). Cox and Rathvon are very precise and fair in their clueing so, with some practice, you can take what you learn from them and solve most other US cryptics.
Last edited by Richard B. on Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Don't bother clicking on the sexy librarian ad.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Thanks, Meg. A fun one. Also a warm up to today’s HEX variety in the WSJ which I expect later today.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Richard B. wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:12 pm Thanks, Meg. A fun one. Also a warm up to today’s HEX variety in the WSJ which I expect later today.
How do you know it will be a HEX? Is there a schedule for the Saturday variety?
Meg

Post by Meg »

Dannyvee wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:58 pm Can anyone point a Cryptic beginner to a good place to get started? I've done a couple of the ones in the NYT over the years so I get the basic gist but most of the ones I've seen posted in this forum are out of my league right now. Thanks!
On the WSJ puzzle page, top right, there’s a link to the basics, which you probably already know....
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Meg wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:42 pm
Richard B. wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:12 pm Thanks, Meg. A fun one. Also a warm up to today’s HEX variety in the WSJ which I expect later today.
How do you know it will be a HEX? Is there a schedule for the Saturday variety?
Just a guess. I think HEX rotates in every 4 weeks. Now that I predicted, watch - no HEX!
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Richard B. wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:10 pm
I would start with the Saturday National Post cryptic which is posted here every week. It’s constructed by two of the best, Cox and Rathvon. The grid is standard without the extra challenges seen in this one or elsewhere (e.g., WSJ monthly variety which always has an extra layer of two of challenge). Cox and Rathvon are very precise and fair in their clueing so, with some practice, you can take what you learn from them and solve most other US cryptics.
This was an excellent recommendation. I chose the 11/7 puzzle to get started with and it just so happened that there was a bit of a beer theme. It took about an hour and a half but I finished w/ two errors. The write-up in the solutions link is a fantastic teacher. Thanks again! 🍻
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Meg wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:05 pm Neville Fogarty is a fairly famous constructor and this small cryptic is certainly challenging!
https://nevillefogarty.wordpress.com/20 ... nd-sevens/
Fun! But I had never heard of Neville F. Then again, I often don't take in who the constructor is. He looks young. But already accomplished in puzzle construction, it seems. Nice!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Dannyvee wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:47 pm
Dannyvee wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:58 pm This was an excellent recommendation. I chose the 11/7 puzzle to get started with and it just so happened that there was a bit of a beer theme. It took about an hour and a half but I finished w/ two errors. The write-up in the solutions link is a fantastic teacher. Thanks again! 🍻
Have fun getting acquainted with cryptics! At some point you'll probably want the added challenge of a variety cryptic. That may come sooner than you think.

One warning, though: For now I'd say you might want to stay away from the British cryptics in such places as The Sunday Times, The Independent, and The Guardian. I've been doing cryptics for some 35 years, and I've found these Brit versions to be significantly harder. Sometimes inscrutable. Partly because they'll often use Britishisms unfamiliar to me. But also because they just seem to be more cryptic!
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Dannyvee wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:47 pm
This was an excellent recommendation. I chose the 11/7 puzzle to get started with and it just so happened that there was a bit of a beer theme. It took about an hour and a half but I finished w/ two errors. The write-up in the solutions link is a fantastic teacher. Thanks again! 🍻
The solution key is critical to learning. Don’t be satisfied simply by getting the grid entry. Try to understand how each clue leads to the grid answer. I also agree with Chris above about the UK puzzles. They’re in a world of their own. Stick to US for a while. Happy crypticing!
mokelfish

Post by mokelfish »

This puzzle was live-solved on Fill Me In's twitch stream w/Neville himself, if people want to check it out. Joining the stream is also a good way to get more accustomed to cryptic solving in a live group/community setting. http://www.twitch.tv/videos/823658125
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

What’s the answer to (Were flying insects ultimately reversing direction?)? On the twitch they said faze, but didn’t explain and that doesn’t fit with the answers being alphabetical.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I have FAZE for In conversation, state puzzle. PHASE FAZE
I have BEEN for 2nd 4-letter. Def = were (yuk imo). Flying insects = BEES last letter reversing direction (S to N)
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Thanks Meg. I thought I was only missing one answer, but was also missing faze/phase. I confused myself.