WSJ Cryptic – "Zip Code" – 11/07/20

Enter if you dare!
ChrisKochmanski

WSJ Cryptic – "Zip Code" – 11/07/20

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Terrific HEX (did I get the shorthand right?) variety cryptic. Kept me totally absorbed, and away from the TV (i.e., slooooooow vote counting), for a few relaxing hours.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Another fun one from my favorites. At least with this one, when you get the answer to a clue you can go straight ahead and enter it! Usually with HEX you have to jump through a few hoops first.
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

Just got done slogging through this one. Tough but enjoyable solve, especially when I finally realized how it all tied together.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Finished up this morning. Another case of trusting that all the directions will become clear as I make progress through the puzzle.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Wow! Great Puzzle. Didn't understand some stuff, but after getting the middle part I finally went back and read the instructions more carefully and saw just how great it is.
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

This was a lot of fun! The hidden clues within the clues very clever, and the whole construction very entertaining.
KayW

Post by KayW »

SewYoung wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:02 pm Wow! Great Puzzle. Didn't understand some stuff, but after getting the middle part I finally went back and read the instructions more carefully and saw just how great it is.
Same here! As usual, I am awestruck by the construction. I've got everything sorted out except the wordplay for 16 across - could someone please PM or spoiler post an explanation?
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

KayW wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:17 am
SewYoung wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:02 pm Wow! Great Puzzle. Didn't understand some stuff, but after getting the middle part I finally went back and read the instructions more carefully and saw just how great it is.
Same here! As usual, I am awestruck by the construction. I've got everything sorted out except the wordplay for 16 across - could someone please PM or spoiler post an explanation?
Kay, 16A is “Each street passes fencing in the Malay Archipelago”. Here’s my take. definition is Malay Archipelago. Solution : Each [EA] street [ST] passes [DIES] fencing (surrounding) in [IN] = [EA] [ST] [IN] [DIES] = EAST INDIES. .
Richard
Meg

Post by Meg »

Richard B. wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:31 am
KayW wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:17 am
Kay, 16A is “Each street passes fencing in the Malay Archipelago”. Here’s my take. definition is Malay Archipelago. Solution : Each [EA] street [ST] passes [DIES] fencing (surrounding) in [IN] = [EA] [ST] [IN] [DIES] = EAST INDIES. .
Richard
That’s the way I saw it, but it took a long time to figure it out.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Richard - thanks so much! That makes sense to me!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.