WSJ Cryptic -- "Masked Singer" -- July 18, 2020

Enter if you dare!
ChrisKochmanski

WSJ Cryptic -- "Masked Singer" -- July 18, 2020

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Another fun variety cryptic by Cox and Rathvon. (We abbreviate them as HEX, correct?)
Meg

Post by Meg »

Thanks, Chris. Gonna print it out.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Almost finished this one. Only missing 19A and 16D. I have figured out the central row identity, though. Will put it aside and look for the other two answers later.
Meg

Post by Meg »

This one is pretty challenging. After the metas today, I may have to finish tomorrow.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Whew! Finished. That was quite the slog. Had to back into some of the squares using the instructions as a guide. With such a short set of instructions, thought this might be on the straightforward, easy side. Wrong!

Yes, Chris, they’re known as Hex but I couldn’t tell you why. Anyone? Anyone?
Meg

Post by Meg »

Very nice. It’s amazing how much clearer things look in the morning. However, I don’t get the wordplay on 18a. Could somebody dm me? You know how those clues you don’t get can nag at you.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Richard B. wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:50 am Whew! Finished. That was quite the slog. Had to back into some of the squares using the instructions as a guide. With such a short set of instructions, thought this might be on the straightforward, easy side. Wrong!

I gather that it just uses some of the letters in each of their names to create an abbreviation: (H)enry and (E)mily Co(x)
LesY

Post by LesY »

Meg wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:07 am Very nice. It’s amazing how much clearer things look in the morning. However, I don’t get the wordplay on 18a. Could somebody dm me? You know how those clues you don’t get can nag at you.
DMed
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

LesY wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:18 am
Meg wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:07 am Very nice. It’s amazing how much clearer things look in the morning. However, I don’t get the wordplay on 18a. Could somebody dm me? You know how those clues you don’t get can nag at you.
DMed
I DMed, too. Would like to hear your thoughts as well. I thought I had it, but it messed me up somewhere else.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

I’m lost on 23A..I’m pretty sure only f/j is left.. Trejo? Or Treji? No clue...
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Never mind.. j/f in 18 across. And fixed word in 18 down...now I’m done! Good puzzle..
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

This was a good mental workout last night. Eventually got enough filled in with some pairs that revealed the middle row, which then helped fill in the rest. Took awhile to understand part of the 18A clue even with the answer known.
Janet

Post by Janet »

I had great fun with this one. I still had a couple unsolved parts when I solved the "masked singer," but knowing that helped me fill in the missing answers.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Whew. That was difficult given the lack of "reliable" crosses in some places. But another beauty!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Finally finished with 16D and 19A. I think that younger folks would find 19A just about impossible. It took me two days on that one even though I kept leaning toward that word. Just couldn't quite make the connection, and when it dawned on me I kicked myself.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Richard B. wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:50 am

(H)enry- (E)mily- (X)words

Also Hex signs are associated with Pennsylvania Dutch region where they reside.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I forgot to post that I solved this... love these two; there's nothing they won't try and nothing they can't do.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Speaking of Hex signs, here's a classic from The Atlantic

Hex Sign
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Abide wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:54 pm Speaking of Hex signs, here's a classic from The Atlantic

Hex Sign
Thanks for the link! I'll take this on vacation with me next week.

Is there a site to get classic Puzzlers from The Atlantic? I did many of them, in the day, but I'd never remember them now.
Abide

Post by Abide »

There MAY be a secret site with all them linked and scanned. 8-)

I think it would neat to have a Hex Retro day (Tuesday?) where we group solve a selected oldie.We could give it a sub-topic in Cryptics. Any volunteers to host? PM me.
—Brian MacDonald